• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5th level mage spell and experience with permanency

Hello folks,

1. I'm playing a 9th level wizard and have decided on the following 5th level spells:

- Teleport (PHB)
- Cone of Cold (PHB)
- Ghost Form (TaB)

I can choose one more 5th level spell: Which should I take. My wizard is an all-rounder, so any suggestion is welcome.

2. I am thinking about applying some spells to my wizard with the permanency spell. Have any of you made experience with this spell and what were those experiences???

Thanks for your answers,

da KNiGHT

Limper

First Post
Summon Monster 5 is a great pick.

Stay away from permanancy unless it gets errata'd not to be dispelable.... it costs far to many XPs to risk the dispel factor.

IanB

First Post
Hold Monster is incredibly valuable. Dominate Person is useful as well, but Hold Monster will probably come up more.

I'm in a 'temporary' (ie: it may keep going after-all) game of 'high-level' characters (ok, 10th level) and one of them is a Wizard. Yup, he's got at least 3-4 spells permanentized. While I know, from the first session BS'ing, that he's got more 'n one on him I only remember Detect Magic for certain. It's proven to be quite usefull with many "What the heck, take a sec 'n have the Wizard check for magic on it/them/there."

I'm so jealous of him, I went with a Cleric this time around and can't do that. Not that I'd have thought of it myself anyhow, but still... :rolleyes:

Hatchling Dragon

Thanee

First Post
House Rule: We play Permanency, so that the spell has to be specifically targeted to be dispelled, and does not simply vanish (but rather be suppressed like a magic item), when affected by a targeted dispel on you or an area dispel.

With such a more generous ruling, Permanency is definitely a great spell. It's extremely handy not to have to cast spells to detect magic, for example.

Other than that, there are a couple of highly useful 5th level spells:

* Rary's Telepathic Bond
* Feeblemind
* Hold Monster
* Magic Jar
* Fabricate
* Telekinesis
* Teleport
* Energy Buffer (T&B)
* Ghostform (T&B)
* Ball Lightning (MoF, errataed - not sure about the new version)
* Firebrand (MoF)

Bye
Thanee

Kae'Yoss

First Post
1d4+1 rounds (or maybe minutes) do the job.

I'm also against dispelling that - It's no use that way cause you really can't keep your enemies from dispelling you all the time - one day they'll do it.

Nice permanency spells are darkvision, detect magic and resistance (+1 on all saves is not bad. Our wizard put that on every party member)

Hammerhead

Explorer
Resistance? That only provides a +1 Resistance bonus to your saves. At 9th level, you should have far more than that in a Cloak of Resistance or something similar.

My diviner has the spells Arcane Sight, from Tome and Blood, and See Invisibility made permanent. To counter the dispels, make/buy/steal a ring of counterspells, and put either a dispel magic or a greater dispelling in it, depending on your level.

Remove ads