• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

7 Things To Remember About Copyright Before You Distribute That Cool Thing You Made!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So if I wanted to design an adventure based in the Forgotten realms and designing NPC's/ monsters from the MM and PHB, that would be a No Go?

You can design it for your own use as much as you want. You can't distribute it though.

sgtscott658

First Post
Ya, I kinda thought that might be the case. My plan was to just do a local newsletter type of thing, but I would probably get hit with a cease and desist letter for distributing anything with FR or WoTC content. Well that puts a kabash on that idea.

thank ya for the answers, much appreciated

Scott

You can design it for your own use as much as you want. You can't distribute it though.

trancejeremy

Adventurer

That's really up to the owner of the IP though (in this case Hasbro/WOTC). Many companies are fine with fan material as long as you don't try to profit from it.

Apparently in this case (at least 5e), they are not fine with it. But you never know (until you get a C&D letter), the vast majority of companies seem to be willing to turn a blind eye for the sake of goodwill from its fanbase.

This actually was a very big deal back in the early days of the internet. Fan material was widespread and TSR went after everyone, generating a lot of ill will that persists to the day. I hope they haven't decided to do that all over again.

edit: Or are they just going after software? WOTC probably wants to license it out, thus sees any software as competition.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's really up to the owner of the IP though (in this case Hasbro/WOTC). Many companies are fine with fan material as long as you don't try to profit from it.

Apparently in this case (at least 5e), they are not fine with it. But you never know (until you get a C&D letter), the vast majority of companies seem to be willing to turn a blind eye for the sake of goodwill from its fanbase.

"Own use" means nobody else ever sees it. It's at home, in your house, used in your own game, and that's it.

dracomilan

Explorer
What about a translation?

I would severely advice against it, even if the author changes some terms from the pld OGL and such, but this doesn't seem to stop some unofficial translations of 5e.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
This is why when I create content for games, I try my best to be completely original or if an existing game mechanic does the same as my content's intentions, I look at the existing mechanics and try to accomplish the same in a different way. Also is the reason why any settings I develop are my own. There is no nostalgic draw from me for any previously published setting, so I would never promote, nor facilitate an existing campaign setting. My Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) has no connections to Mystara, Kara-Tur, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Golarian, nor Ravenloft and is completely stand-alone as a regional setting of analog Japan to be dropped into any existing setting, published or homebrew.

There is a single Kaidan product called Way of the Yakuza that has its own rules regarding enchanted tattoos worn yakuza members, some of its rules are borrowed from Inkantations supplement by 4 Winds Gaming, however, proper inclusions for that company's product is part of the licensing included with my product, so while an exception to my general practice of not copying other's published mechanics, it relies on proper, legal posting in the provided OGL license.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Translations are considered derivative works, see here.

Just to clarify for @dracomilan, only the copyright owner can create derivative works, unless they grant permission for somebody else to do so. A translation, therefore, is just as much in violation as, say, a compilation.

dracomilan

Explorer
7 Things To Remember About Copyright Before You Distribute That Cool Thing Yo...

So I assumed. Thanks for the clarification.

I hope it doesn't bring too much trouble to the berks who are translating 5e all around... They think they are doing a public service, since an official translation is far in the future

Remove ads