• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

Your sarcasm is unwarranted, and my point was not "oh look at the broken combo!!!" My point was, "Just take away the +1 stat" either leaves many half-feats pretty weak by comparison to "full" feats, or excludes any feat that doesn't provide +1 to a stat--either way, seemingly a problem.
I think yoi evaliate feats differently than I do. And don't you think that feats should notnget a balance pass when adapting to my rule.
My assertion is that a lot of level 1 feats, especially fighting styles, are too weak compared to level 4 feats that have a +1 bonus to a stat.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Really if feats are categorized into subs types like Traits, Boons, and Setting feats, feats should be categorized by Pillar and Source.

You should be trying to balance or offer Combat feats with Social feats.

If I am running a GOT low magic campaign, I should be able to say "Only Social feats allowed and every gets a free Social feat".

If I want, I should be able to say, "Everyone has 9 months off as you wait for the Blood Moon. You can spend 1000 gold to hire a trainer and learn any Martial, Magic, or Combat feat."

Last edited:

Really if feats are categorized into subs types like Traits, Boons, and Setting feats, feats should be categorized by Pillar and Source.

You should be trying to balance or offer Combat feats with Social feats.

If I am running a GOT low magic campaign, I should be able to say "Only Social feats allowed and every gets a free Social feat".

If I want, I should be able to say, "Everyone has 9 months off as you wait for the Blood Moon. You can spend 1000 gold to hire a trainer and learn any Martial, Magic, or Combat fest."
There are games out there that do this. It has both advantages and disadvantages.
What if you want a character that does less combat? And the other one wants to focus more on that?
But yes. Why not. Usually should do no harm and if the base game always allows to chose from all of them, having just some tables or tags to sort them would allow you to grant everyone a feat with the social tag.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There are games out there that do this. It has both advantages and disadvantages.
What if you want a character that does less combat? And the other one wants to focus more on that?
But yes. Why not. Usually should do no harm and if the base game always allows to chose from all of them, having just some tables or tags to sort them would allow you to grant everyone a feat with the social tag.
Exactly.

There is no harm in adding Tags unless you feel FOMO if a DM restricts feats.

Horwath

Legend
I think yoi evaliate feats differently than I do. And don't you think that feats should notnget a balance pass when adapting to my rule.
My assertion is that a lot of level 1 feats, especially fighting styles, are too weak compared to level 4 feats that have a +1 bonus to a stat.
In UAs for 2024 playtest most 1st level feats are bad.
Tough and Lucky being obvious winner in power level, and completely boring. And Lucky just slows down the game.

Also, I would remove most if not all re-roll mechanics from the game,
Silvery barbs can give -5 to the roll after you know the result.
Maybe lucky can be that also, give +/- 5 to the roll after result is known.

same goes for all those reroll 1s and/or 2s on damage rolls... just give +1 damage per die and be done with it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Might be, but I'm concerned with options and not necessarily power here. Remove feats and you remove a nearly all ability to customise non-casters.
That's only because martial customization was excused from the classes to the fest system.

Many martial feats should be class features.
Whereas some martial class features (maneuvers, runes, arcane shots) should be external features like spells.

Horwath

Legend
That's only because martial customization was excused from the classes to the fest system.

Many martial feats should be class features.
Whereas some martial class features (maneuvers, runes, arcane shots) should be external features like spells.
Or many marital features should be feats.

Remove ads