D&D 5E 7th level sorcerer build, RAW only PHB only

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Nice, but there aren't enough lightning spells to specialize as say a Blue Dragon for the sorcerer origin.

Also, I am trying to pick out spells as well. Right now if I go with Drow I was thinking of the following for a 5 sorcerer 2 warlock build
Cantrips: Dancing lights (racial), Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusions, Shocking Grasp, Friends, Eldritch Blast, Chilling Touch
1st level: Faerie Fire (racial), Shield, Hex
2nd level: Darkness (racial), Invisibility, Mirror Image, Scourching Ray
3rd level: Counterspell, Fireball, Dispel Magic, Fly

I was thinking Devil Sight and Agonizing Blast for the Eldritch Evocations, but I was also thinking of maybe going a different race and taking repelling blast instead of devil sight.

For level 4 sorcerer I was either going to take ritual caster or just increase to ability scores by 1 so I get another +1 in Con and Chr.

Thoughts?

Nice, but there aren't enough lightning spells to specialize as say a Blue Dragon for the sorcerer origin.

Also, I am trying to pick out spells as well. Right now if I go with Drow I was thinking of the following for a 5 sorcerer 2 warlock build
Cantrips: Dancing lights (racial), Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusions, Shocking Grasp, Friends, Eldritch Blast, Chilling Touch
1st level: Faerie Fire (racial), Shield, Hex
2nd level: Darkness (racial), Invisibility, Mirror Image, Scourching Ray
3rd level: Counterspell, Fireball, Dispel Magic, Fly

I was thinking Devil Sight and Agonizing Blast for the Eldritch Evocations, but I was also thinking of maybe going a different race and taking repelling blast instead of devil sight.

For level 4 sorcerer I was either going to take ritual caster or just increase to ability scores by 1 so I get another +1 in Con and Chr.

Thoughts?

Looks good! But I don´t share your worries about blue dragon sorcerer.

There are plenty lightning spells. One 3rd level. One first level. One cantrip. You can´t cast so many spells so you actually don´t need a lot. You should also take something like shield, absorb elements, some control spells. I mean, you have con primary so you better make use of it by casting usually risky concentration spells. Haste for example is very good for a sorcerer if you don´t have to worry about being disabled. Twin haste is even better.

Riley37

First Post
If you have Warlock 1+ and Sorcerer 2+, you can turn a spell slot into sorcery points, then short rest to regain pact magic spell slots. With enough short rests you'd end up fully recharging all your spell slots and all your sorcery points. Warlock 1 also gives you Patron features, that is, immediate subclass benefits.

Draconic Ancestry would work well with Tiamat as a Fiend patron. If you go Sorceror 6 (Draconic), Warlock 1 (Fiend), and choose Red as your dragon type, then you get bonus damage from Fire spells, and Fiend adds Burning Hands to your warlock spell shopping list. You might choose Hellish Rebuke for your other Warlock spell. Then you could cast Burning Hands as your Action, Bonus Action: Quickened Spell for Fire Bolt cantrip, then Reaction for Hellish Rebuke, getting your Elemental Affinity bonus damage three times in a single round. (AFAIK, with Burning Hands or Fireball since you roll once, add the Elemental Affinity boost, and apply that boosted roll to each affected creature. With Scorching Ray, you can boost only one of the damage rolls.) If you later on get more Warlock levels, you'll unlock Scorching Ray and Fireball as Warlock spells, but you probably learned those spells as a Sorcerer already.

Another thematic link: sorcerer with Draconic Ancestry, warlock with Arch-Fey patron, and claim that you have ancestry from a Faerie Dragon, which is a Faerun creature listed in the 5E Monster Manual. Faerie dragons change colors as they age, starting as Red, but I'd say you need DM permission if you want to establish that your "Red Dragon" ancestor was actually a faerie dragon. (If the DM has you change scale color *as you level up*, on the same progression as a faerie dragon, that's thematically AWESOME though it complicates Elemental Affinity.) Then at Warlock 3, you take the Chain Pact boon, and find a pseudo-dragon familiar, which is sort of a lesser cousin of the faerie dragon.

I guess you could choose Wild Magic as a sorcerer, and Fey as warlock patron, since fey can be fickle? or as Great Old One, since your magic is beyond the understanding of any mortal, including you, and thus has unpredictable side effects?

Riley37

First Post
Fighter 2, Sorcerer 5 allows this nova round: Action, cast Hold Person, and either use Heightened Spell (disadvantage on the save vs Hold Person) or Twinned Spell for two targets. Then you use Action Surge, and you cast Fireball, preferably with Empowered Spell. If the target(s) of Hold Person fail the WIS save, then they're paralyzed, so they always fail the DEX saving throw for Fireball.

Lesser version, doesn't require Action Surge: Heightened Hold Person, followed by Quickened Acid Splash (DEX save cantrip). When you absolutely, positively have to do acid damage.

I really do line heightened and twin spells for the sorcerer. Even though you might not do as much damage, getting to stick debuffs on the enemy and double the efficiency of single target buffs is great.

Remove ads