• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

8 minutes/turn - is that very slow? slow? average?

Have you considered having one of your slower players play a 4E archer ranger? Twin Strike is literally the only power they need to understand. All the other powers literally are skippable if you use Twin Strike.

Quickleaf

Legend
Have you considered having one of your slower players play a 4E archer ranger? Twin Strike is literally the only power they need to understand. All the other powers literally are skippable if you use Twin Strike.
When we started this paragon tier campaign I suggested players build easier characters (possibly Essentials) as well as play characters they are familiar with and really enjoy (in 4e or any edition). I agree archer ranger is easy, but there are other options.

Two are playing PCs who they previously played in another 4e campaign (barbarian & wizard), one is playing a re-imagination of a 1e/2e PC (vampire-cavalier), and the other four started with completely new 11th level PCs (Elementalist, paladin, fighter, bard-warlord).

As far as turn speed goes, it probably roughly breaks down like this...

Normal turns: Fighter, Bard-Warlord
Slow turns: Barbarian, Vampire-Cavalier
Very Slow turns: Elementalist, Paladin, Wizard

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of our slowest players is playing a 4Ed archer ranger. His turns still take forever. In no particular order, here is why:

1) he must make sure that Twin Strike is indeed the best power to use in a given situation. Usually it is, but he's not taking the chorus of "Use Twin Strike." at face value.

2) he must make sure that he positions his ranger just so.

3) if there is no obvious target, he will evaluate multiple targets. That may involve repeated reevaluation of powers & positioning.

Quickleaf

Legend
One of our slowest players is playing a 4Ed archer ranger. His turns still take forever. In no particular order, here is why:

1) he must make sure that Twin Strike is indeed the best power to use in a given situation. Usually it is, but he's not taking the chorus of "Use Twin Strike." at face value.

2) he must make sure that he positions his ranger just so.

3) if there is no obvious target, he will evaluate multiple targets. That may involve repeated reevaluation of powers & positioning.
That is eerily familiar. Maybe my group *does* need a shot clock! :p

Yes I have a player who uses MapTools when he DMs and he swears by it.

We casually use status cards (well, mostly for me as the DM, not for the players), but not consistently. A player has the Alea Tools colored markers so we are going to try using those more consistently than we already do.

I enjoy many parts of 4e but the mandatory condition/power tracking is not one of them.

My rule of thumb is everyone tracks whatever is advantageous for them. You can be quite sure players will do that. The DM is of course left tracking whatever is on the PCs, but that's usually a lesser issue. People can use whatever tracking system they like, but I think some form of colored loop you can drop over a figure is good, like a hair tie or a twist tie. You can always attach a bit of tape to it for a label. Another option is just to bring a whole stack of 3x5 cards. Pretty soon you'll have whatever you need with those, just write the effect on the card and save them after for next fight.

Hussar

Legend
That is eerily familiar. Maybe my group *does* need a shot clock! :p

To be honest, this was something I used in 3e when I was playing with a lot of fairly new to the group players. My current group has settled down for the past few years, so, we've gotten a pretty good rhythm going.

But, I do think that that sort of thing has to be taught. I tried the carrot approach, but, it never worked. Skipping someone's turn once or twice? That gets people's attention in a HURRY. Plus, it's 4e, so, losing one turn won't totally kill the combat. You've probably got several more turns to go.

Not sure how a shot clock would work though, with so many interrupt powers. After all, my turn might not be taking so long except that Bob is trying to get off some triggered power and Bob's dragging my turn down.

Seriously, I need to write up that solo monster that punishes slow players...

I'm sure players will hurry up their turns if a monster regains 2 hps for every real life minute that passes.

pemerton

Legend
I kind of wish players would not pick feats/traits/powers which boost defenses because of the tracking headache
I have a player who is one of the slower at my table, despite playing a fairly simple build, and yet he has a fondness for fiddly feats that give conditional bonuses.

Static bonuses have a lot to be said for them!

Quickleaf

Legend
I have a player who is one of the slower at my table, despite playing a fairly simple build, and yet he has a fondness for fiddly feats that give conditional bonuses.

Static bonuses have a lot to be said for them!
I have noticed that strikers - which usually should be the most newbie-friendly classes - tend to have the most conditional damage feats, features, and fiddly bits. Which makes it harder for less experienced players getting directed toward "ranger" or "barbarian" as an introductory class. It's a bit backwards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads