A 4e Bar Fight...how to do it?

weem

First Post
...If they do the latter, just remind them of the situation gently. "I'm sorry? You're in a bar fight. What do you do?" Hopefully that should sort out any confusion.

Or fill the bar with guards mid-fight...

...hehe.

---edit---

Though I suppose that could come AFTER a gentle reminder of possible consequences, hehe.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Here's a thought. You could use basic martial attacks, but encourage characters to pick up stools, mugs, push people, etc. Whenever they do so, hand them a couple of power cards that apply to that particular weapon. For instance, you pick up a mug, you get the following:

EPIC MUG
This pewter tankard has seen its share of epic barfights, judging by the dried blood that has never quite washed off the bottom.

At Will - Mug Smash - Wielder makes a melee or ranged basic attack, dealing damage as appropriate (all nonlethal). The mug adds 1d6 damage to this attack. If used for a ranged basic attack, the mug must be collected again to regain the use of its powers.

At Will - Swill - Take a long drink from the mug, granting the wielder a healing surge. This may be used 3 times before it is expended. When the mug is empty, neither Swill nor Throw Contents may be used.

Per Mug - Throw Contents - Close blast 3 - Attacks Reflex; Targets are blinded, save ends. This attack empties the mug; afterwards, neither Swill nor Throw Contents may be used.

You could make different little powers per item, and let players be creative and come up with their own uses. It could be fun to have some special bottles behind the bar, perhaps some exotic fey wines that have really strange powers. And certainly, one or two of the patrons ought to be an elite badass of a brawler.

I'd hope that if I told my players "the guy to your left picks up a stool and tries to bash you over the head with it", the response would be something like "I grab my tankard and smash him in the face!" rather than "I draw my +3 flaming fullblade".

If they do the latter, just remind them of the situation gently. "I'm sorry? You're in a bar fight. What do you do?" Hopefully that should sort out any confusion.

In a lawless situation, "you're in a bar fight" has no meaning. If pulling that sword meant the difference between getting arrested and not then there is a good in-world reason not to do so.

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
For the barfights in my campaign I let the players know beforehand that weapons would look bad to the local authority but let them use their powers with improvised weapons.

I also explained it was the custom for folks to bow out of such fights when they hit bloodied. That kept the time down.

Agamon

Adventurer
Here's what I would do. Treat the brawl as a skill challenge. They can roll intimidate to keep people off of them, make basic attacks to knock people out, athletics to swing from chandaliers, stealth to hide under tables, etc.

Yep, this is how I'd do it, too.

Acatalepsy

First Post
First of all, I like the idea of making the PCs check weapons at the door, as long as none of the players would make trouble over this. That being said, I would run it one of two ways.

1. Run it as combat, but let all players make unarmed attacks or use improvised weapons unhindered. This would be viable and the players would generally be used to it, but could get clunky very quickly. Also, using full health would make the fight seem much more grim because characters who don't fight well would come close to death.

2. Run it as a skill challenge, allowing players to try fighting, hiding, running, etc... But I would also tie health to con scores, maybe that a player with +3 con can take 3 hits before being knocked out. Maybe even allow con saves after this limit has been hit, to stand for luck and extra-tough characters.

I really prefer the idea of running it like a skill challenge, as opposed to combat, for the simplicity and change of pace. A good PC group shouldn't have a problem with not using weapons either. All my players have always welcomed new experiences and play types. And if they did, they'd be in trouble with the law which could turn into an interesting hook/role playing opportunity in and of itself.

Ourph

First Post
I wouldn't necessarily go the skill challenge route. Instead, I think I'd just tell the players that we'd be making heavy use of DMG pg. 42 and to forget about using most of their weapon-related powers for the fight.

Remove ads