• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Blind-Monk?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
This character has been roaming my mind for quite a while now. How would you guys create a character like this?

Btw, I haven't planned this guy's background yet, but I'm affraid he would have to lose his lawful requisite. He would be searching for revenge on those who destroyed his temple. Would you guys allow a monk like this?

Or...if there is a class like this, a martial artist like in the D20. The blindness is kinda of a must, since he'd lose his sight during the attack on his temple.

FrostedMini1337

First Post
The example monk the in the ebberon campaign setting is seeking revenge for her temple being destroyed.

get races of stone. if your wis is high enough(it should be) or youre a dwarf you can gain tremorsense with a feat, and theres even a prestige class that gives you (i think) blindsight. get it.

Last edited:

FalcWP

Explorer
Blind-Fight, obviously, is an absolute must. Get as many ranks in Listen as you can, as well; your Wisdom score should work nicely with this. Look (no pun intended) for any prestige classes or magic items which grant Blindsight or Blindsense. Be sure to talk with your DM on what you would be able to do with Listen checks and Blind-Fight - don't just assume you will be able to do something, or that you can't do something.

Definetly carry a quarterstaff at all times. Not only is it a viable weapon for you, but it makes a nice cane/walking stick, so you don't fall over ledges or walk into tables.

Pick up Improved Grapple as your first level bonus feat - if you're grappling someone, it really doesn't matter how blind you are, you can still beat the crap out of them.

As far as the lawful thing - nothing particularly wrong with a lawful character who is driven to vegeance, just so long as he does so in a fairly lawful manner. Look at it this way: The destruction of your temple was a crime, and you are going to bring the people who destroyed it to justice.

ohGr

First Post
You'll want the feats Blindfight, Hear the Unseen and Quick Recannoiter (the last two from Complete Adventurer). Hear the Unseen lets you make a DC 25 Listen check as a move action to pinpoint the locations of all foes within 30', while Quick Recannoiter allows you to make 1 Spot and Listen check each round as a free action. It's a neat little combo that makes a blind character's life much easier.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
nice, thx for the tips, any good monk/something combo? maybe monk/fighter for better b.a and hp?

oh, and would the blindness remove my dex bonus from ac?

FalcWP

Explorer
ElectricDragon said:
Don't forget that blind characters automatically fail any Spot checks.

Does that *really* need to be spelled out for people? Am I the only one who, if someone asked if their blind character made a spot check, would say, "You are too stupid to be playing this game."? Just wondering.

Remove ads