A Caravan to Ein Arris (recruiting closed)

WarlockLord

First Post
For background, I'm thinking that Iru'khan the telepath was a desert nomad, until he was outcast from his tribe for his odd powers. He's still a little unused to civilization, but hires himself out as a bodyguard.

Note: I know, unstudied manifesters are usually wilders, but he's meditated enough in his spare time. Also , I don't like the class.

Darimaus

First Post
Heres some more work done on my characters background, as well as some concepts I want to run past you, oh mighty DM. I've sblocked it to save some space.

Natasha Alucard

[sblock]

Natasha was origionally from a village just outside Mashanda. As achild, there was something unusual about her, but observers couldn't quite place their fingers on it. She never seemed to sweat, even when faced with the blazing heat of the desert, she never seemed to get cold, even when faced with the sudden drops in temperature the nights could bring. When she got old enough to plainly talk, she described voices in her head. As customary, she was labelled as a attention craving child making things up. but on the few occasions people have followed up on her "ravings", they were descovered to be uncannily accurate.

When she was merely 8 years old, a great storm headed towards her village. All the inhabitants ran to their shelters, but Natasha broke away from her family and headed to a spot, straight in the open, no cover or safety to be found. And yet as the storm passed, all the shelters were destroyed, and all the villagers slain by what could only be discribed as a devastating natural disaster.And yet, amidst the destruction and horror stood Natasha, not a scratch on her.

Natasha wandered off by herself, following the guidance of the voices on the winds. She crossed the desert, despite havaing no food or provisions, miraculously avoiding any of its dangerous inhabitants as she journey on nothing more than the whims of the voices on the wind. She is now 18, a devout worshipper of the winds that guide her. The voices now have told her that she needs to go to Ein Arris, and suggests the best way to do so would be to join the caravan heading over to deliver the wedding gifts and supplies to Prince Eiru of Mashanda.

OOC: There are a few "rules" i would like to have altered for my character if you don't mind. Realistically, these are all for flavor, and don't actually effect any in game rules or stats, these are more cosmetic changes to her abilities. In general, I would like to ask if you would mind if I turned her incarnum abilities into a wind theme. They would function exactly the same, except that they would be described differently, and their source would be more of a divine nature linking into her path of worship than the standard Incarnum rules. On that same line, I was wondering if, despite using the same rules as an Azurin, she wouldn't fall under the same catagory as such, and would be recognized more as a uniquely gifted human.
Finaly, I'll cover her diety. In simple terms, she views her diety as the wind. She has an innate kinship with it, and instead of standard prayer, her form of meditation is to simply sit quietly and listen to what it tells her in order to regain her divine energy. While seemingly random, the instructions of her divine wind seem to have a hidden purpose, and she is benefitted greatly by its wisdom. From what she can tell, the Diety is non-evil, and doesn't condone unneccisary violence. It has a deep concern for the balance of nature, but not so much the balance of life that druids hold. It teaches Natasha to study the flow of things, and to be able to predict what is happening ahead of time, and proceed accordingly. Other than that, Natasha doesn't know much about her diety, and simply follows its guidance like that of a father figure.

I would like to leave the true nature of her diety up to you, in case you would like to use it in your story in any way. As I imagine it, it can be anything from a subtle unknown diety that guides her, to a powerful being that leads her around for its own purposes, to an embodyment of innate talent hidden inside her. If you don't want to go to the effort of working with the abstract version of her diety, I also have a varient that works towards more conventional methods.

The god doesn't really have a name, known only as the wind. It alignment is LN, and tasks inself with keeping the world in balance. For the most part, it is a silent observer, simply watching and waiting as things resolve themselves as they almost always do. However, on occasion, there are those who have incurred the wrath of the wind, and are struck down mercilessly by storms, tornados and other such natural disasters. The wind holds very little interaction with the rest of the gods, since it has no desire to conjure itself into a truly physical form, instead choosing to reach out to its followers as little whispers in the wind. There are no churches to the wind, most people disregarding the excistence of such a diety, though its followers are well coordinated, even without a structed enviroment to follow along with. The wind's domain are Destruction, Air, and Windstorm (Spell Compendium).
If you don't want to deal with any of these alterations, I'll be happy to play the character as per normal, its just an interesting concept I want to try out.

[/sblock]

okuth0r

First Post
I belive i have my character... Never used a monster class, let me know if i did something wrong. Also never used the Spoiler blocks...formatting is off...?

Paid for Diasho (MW swords)

[sblock]
Name: Nirok Brokenshield
Class: Samurai
Race: Hobgoblin
Size: M
Alignment: LN

Str: 15 +2 Level: 1 XP: 1000
Dex: 12 +0 BAB: +1 HP: 12 (1D10+2)
Con: 14 +2 Grapple:
Int: 14 +2 Speed: 30' (20)
Wis: 10 +0 Init: +1
Cha: 14 +2

Base Armor Shld Dex Size Nat Misc Total
Armor: 10 +5 +0 +1 +0 +0 +0 16
Touch: 11 Flatfooted: 15

Base Mod Misc Total
Fort: 2 +2 +4
Ref: 0 +1 +1
Will: 0 +0 +0

Weapon Attack Damage Critical
Katana (MW bastard swd) +4 1d10+2 19-20 x2
(above 2handed) +4 1D10+3
Wakazshi (MW short sword) +1 1d6+2(+1 offhand) 19-20x2

Languages:
Goblin, Common, Mashar, Trade Pidgin

Abilities: Darkvision 60ft (racial +4 to move silent)

Feats: Power Attack

Skill Points: 16 Max Ranks: 5/2.5
Skills Ranks Mod Misc Total
Diplomacy 4 2 0 6
Craft (Armoursmithing) 2 2 0 4
Craft (Weaponsmithing) 2 2 0 4
Intimidate 2 2 0 4
Knowledge (History) 1 2 0 3
Knowledge (Nobility) 1 2 0 3
Ride 2 1 0 3
Sense Motive 1 2 0 3

Equipment: Cost Weight

Worn:
Explorers Outfit - -
Breastplate (+5 3 4) 250gp 30lb

Back:
Backpack 2gp 2lb

Belt:
Belt Pouch 1gp 0.5lb

In/On Backpack:
Bedroll 1sp 5lb
Flint and Steel 1gp 0
Clay Jug (Sake) 10gp 9lb
Explorers outfit 10gp 8lb
Waterskin (Water) 1gp 4lb
Soap 5sp 1lb
Rope (help) 1gp 10lb
Trail Rations 3gp 6lb

Total Weight: 75.5lb Money: 325gp 6sp 0cp

Lgt Med Hvy Lift Push
Max Weight: 66 67-133 134-200 200 1000

Height: 6"
Weight: 236lb
Eyes: Yellow
Hair: Grey
Skin: Dark Grey
[/sblock]

Backstory?
[sblock]
His lord betrayed by no failure of his own, Nirok travels as ronin while searching for a master to serve. In the meantime, to diminish his shame at being ronin he works towards the concept of justice. Doing his best to uphold it where he can, withought interfearing with the law.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kafkonia

First Post
okuth0r -- He looks sound, although I'd like to see a bit more backstory before I make a final decision. With goblinoids being primarily traders, I can imagine that Nirok was a trusted bodyguard for a major trader; perhaps hiring on with Halmaro's crew is a way for him to rebuild his self-image?

Darimaus -- I have no problem with the flavour/"rules" changes you mentioned for your character. I am a bit curious as to why you picked Lawful for the wind, though; my first (and not necessarily well thought out) thought would have been Chaotic, and I'd be intrigued to hear your view on it. And I greatly appreciate the hooks you've given me in her background.

Everyone: Let's say you have until end of Friday to get characters in. I won't be a stickler for exact picture-perfect crunch at that point, but I do hope to have all the information necessary to make a decision on who should be hired on by Halmaro and his people. This includes character details as well as stats. :)

WarlockLord

First Post
Iru'khan's background, personality, etc.

Iru'khan was raised on the edge of the desert in a nomadic tribe. He was always the runt, the odd one out, but managed to survive by wits, agility, and smooth talking. He had phenominal endurance, and could read people uncannily. However, his tribe learned what he was, declared him an abomination and outcast him. He has found work in civilization as a merchant known for haggling and charisma, but can't escape his strange powers...

Personality:
Iru'khan is a jovial, fun-loving person on the surface. However, he adheres to the maxim of Trust no one after his family cast him out. He fears retribution for his escape, but so far none has come. He is a restless spirit, driven to adventure, and this is why he wishes to join the caravan. He seeks friendship, but fears betrayal such as that at the hands of his family.

Last edited:

Paranoia833

First Post
To be honest I'm having trouble thinking up a concept I know I won't get bored with after two weeks. I can be a tad perfectionist when it comes to character gen, so I think I'll bow out. If I come up with something I really like before friday I'll put it up but I think it best to assume I'm out of the runnings. Sorry for dropping out so fast.

Kafkonia

First Post
Paranoia833 said:
To be honest I'm having trouble thinking up a concept I know I won't get bored with after two weeks. I can be a tad perfectionist when it comes to character gen, so I think I'll bow out. If I come up with something I really like before friday I'll put it up but I think it best to assume I'm out of the runnings. Sorry for dropping out so fast.

Hey, I understand. Better to drop out now than two weeks into the game, right?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Here you go. A fun little concept I played with long ago in a different setting/system: Damein Bane, adventurer extraordinaire.

[sblock=Damien Bane, tiefling spy]Damien Bane (CR 2) (~1000 XP)
CN tiefling beguiler 1
Medium outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +1, Spot +3
Languages Common, Common Elven, Draconic, Goblin, High Elven, Mashar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10; +3 Dex
hp 6 (1 HD)
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5.
Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1
Spd 30 ft.
Melee mwk rapier +0 (1d6-1/18-20)
Ranged darkwood shortbow +4 (1d6-1/x3)
Base Atk +0; Grp -1
Beguiler Spells (CL 1, +3 ranged touch, -1 melee touch):
- 1st (DC 15, 17 enchantment): 4/d
- 0 (DC 14, 16 enchantment): 5/d
Spell-like Abilities
- 1/d: darkness (CL 1)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 14
SQ Armored mage, trapfinding
Feats Spell Focus (enchantment)
Skills Bluff +8, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +6, Disable Device +6, Hide +7, Listen +1, Move Silently +7, Open Lock +5, Search +6, Sense Motive +3, Spot +3
Possessions Combat possessions and mwk rapier, darkwood shortbow with 20 arrows, belt pouches (2), courtier's outfit with jewelry (50 gp), spell component pouch, mwk thieves' tools, traveling outfit, 42 gp; 18 lbs. (light load)
Beguiler Spells Known: 0: dancing lights, daze, detect magic, ghost sound, message, open/close, read magic; 1st: charm person, color spray, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, disguise self, expeditious retreat, hypnotism, mage armor, obscuring mist, rouse, silent image, sleep, undetectable alignment, whelm
Armored mage Damien can cast spells in light armor using a light shield.
Trapfinding As a rogue.
[sblock=Advancement]ECL2->Beguiler 1 HP 6 (1d6) SP: 40 (6x4+4x4)
Bluff +4, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +4, Disguise +4, Hide +2, Disable Device +2, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Open Lock +2, Search +2, Sense Motive +4, Speak Language +2 (High Elven, Mashar), Spot +4
Abilities: Str 8 (0pts), Dex 16 (6pts+2 race), Con 10 (2pts), Int 18 (10pts+2 race), Wis 8 (0pts), Cha 14 (10pts-2 race)
Feats: Spell Focus (enchantment)[/sblock][/sblock]Background
Damien was born to well off parents of Khedris; they were courtier's, performing the necessary tasks that smoothed the wheels of the merchant empire. Other than their wealth, their families were not extraordinary, thus their was great surprise at Damien's unusual birth. Damein's obvious difference---its hard to hide vestigial horns on a newborn---shocked his family. However, Damein's father, a clerk with a power hungry merchant, saw something in him that made him smile with glee. And thus Damein the spy was born.

The boy was trained at an early age in the art of deceit. At first, it was to hide his obvious difference. However, Damein's father had plans. The merchant lords always were looking for an edge in the market, and if Damein's father was right, the boy's odd lineage would make him well suited for the task. And it did. About puberty, the young lad showed signs of magical talent of the deceptive bent. A few choice words to a sympathetic ear, and Damein was soon being trained in the arts of spycraft, paid by a merchant who expect something in return---Damien's eventual service.

Thus, we find the young Damien, fresh out of training on his first task---infiltrate Halmaro's caravan, observe, and see if this "wedding" truly is as it seems. A simple job, one suited for Damien's tyro talents, but his patron expects results.

Appearance and Personality
Damien appears as a good looking human of average height with a soft build. He dresses well and has a well spoken (some might say sultry voice). The hat or hood he often wears hides his vestigial horns. The boy has sable hair with a hint of red in it with unremarkable blue eyes.

Damein is a very jovial fellow, who generally refuses to see the poor things in life. He is, however, extremely comfortable with lying, telling tales of his own life as if they were natural to him. He is not out to purposely deceive most of the time so much as he cannot help to dissemble. He enjoys stories and the performance aspects of his job, and is totally amoral as to the consequences of them---not out of malice or spite, but out of a shocking naivety about such things.

Darimaus

First Post
Kafkonia said:
Darimaus -- I have no problem with the flavour/"rules" changes you mentioned for your character. I am a bit curious as to why you picked Lawful for the wind, though; my first (and not necessarily well thought out) thought would have been Chaotic, and I'd be intrigued to hear your view on it. And I greatly appreciate the hooks you've given me in her background.

I'm sort of glad you asked the Lawful/Chaotic question. While at first glance, wind is just wind, going where it wants to, doing what it wants to, and being where it wants to. But amidst all of the chaos is a certain predictability. The wind follows a set pattern based off of concepts most people don't concieve of, and so its merely passed off as a random set of phenomina. This is part of the reason that the wind is so unknown in the world. Most people don't see deeply enough into its grand scheme of things to consider a form of intelligence controlling it. With its main goal being earthly balance, it plots and plots and sets schemes into long slow motions that will eventually turn up some accomplishments, but are total gibberish before hand. A good reference to this personality type would be the Devil Lord Dispater, who works off of a similar styling and is still lawful.

Remove ads