A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour - updated 19th December

Ashy

First Post
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Hit the nail on the head! That line made me wake up screaming in the middle of the night. I wanted to change it, but words failed me again and again. Perhaps 'tendrils' would have given a better impression. Or snakes. Still unsure about that one. but you're right... it does need a kick up the arse to be a better description. [note to self]Ah well, move on and improve improve improve[/note to self].

Thanks for the feedback on style by the way - I appreciate it, so please keep it coming. Oh, and the 'fatal, glowing snow' made me all warm inside when I wrote it down... glad that you share my love for this stuff!

That's what it's all about, right (well, that and having a blast playing and writing!) - making our writing better? That's what I hope for from my readers, and so that's what I provide for the SH's of which I am a fan. :)

Anytime you see something in my posts that you want to draw out, please do! :) Also, anytime you ever want to bounce something off me before you post, feel free. You never know, you and I may be able to put the "tried-and-true two man writing style" that Enk and Dshai use for Small Beginnings to good use! ;) I know I'd love to have a "writing buddy" that I could bounce ideas off of! Drop me an email if you want: ashenbach (AT) gmail (DOT) com...

:cool:

freedoms_edge

First Post
Mutter mutter, grumble grumble.......... :mad:

Then again, Spider always insisted that every group of heroes should have a nemesis who keeps coming back again and again and again and again and again............sigh. :\

Mutter mutter, grumble grumble..........

Then again, Spider always insisted that every group of heroes should have a nemesis who keeps coming back again and again and again and again and again............sigh.
Well, yeah, but I figure that you can never go wrong to have more (Lyle RIP, Robar & The Bear to name a few)... pop-up reoccuring badguys is one of the true joys of the DM. Just keep them alive!!!! Keep a child hostage if all else fails!!!!!

That's what it's all about, right (well, that and having a blast playing and writing!) - making our writing better? That's what I hope for from my readers, and so that's what I provide for the SH's of which I am a fan.

Please do - I'll punch up a critique in your story hour if I spot anything going awry (other than the fact you should write more!!! ;) ). If I do get snagged on a particular point I'll drop you a mail for some rationality "C'mon Spider! A kobold would never pout!"

And trust me, writing buddies don't work for me. I'm not a fan of the multiple writers approach. Sure, Icemist works a treat, but that is a grand exception.

But please do keep the comments/criticisms/description-love coming. All of us SH writers live for feedback...

Anyway, that's enough of me nattering on. Update tomorrow (unless life intervenes, in which case it will be the next day).

Spider J

"Sure you don’t want that sausage?”

Two long hours passed before the three adventurers saw the outskirts of Darmshall before them. Fully dark now, Torious led the party with a blazing torch in one hand and Freedom’s Edge in the other. Thalin followed with Erifeci, and Milo tried to keep pace with Vampire in one hand and using his other hand to balance as he ran with all his halfling might. Sighting a number of still smoking ruins, the three companions saw the perimeter posts, but no glowing line.

Their fears were confirmed as Torious drew to a halt in the market square. With enough light emanating from the smouldering houses, the toppled tower of Noristour lay strewn across the market square, the tip of the tower having smashed through the roof of the town hall.

“Every house is burnt through. Nothing is left,” said Thalin, his voice small.

He slowly turned in a circle, taking in the utter devastation of the trading town. The scorched houses. The cracked and scalded bodies. The air heavy with death and smoke. Milo crumpled to the floor. His eyes were closed and he hugged his knees as the reality of what happened here began to fully sink in.

“This is it,” said Torious quietly as he stared into the ruins of the charred tower, “I now know what I must do. This is why I have been led here. You have shown me the true path father, I thank you”
Thalin turned on Torious, his eyes flaring in anger, “You damned fool! These people are dead!” he motioned around them, “Do not dare to trivialise this as some sign of your accursed god!”

Torious and Thalin stood unmoving as neither refused to back down, only the soft sobs of Milo breaking the silence. Torious's gauntlet flexed on Freedom's Edge.

The deadlock was broken by an aching cry from a nearby building. Torious turned immediately away and headed for the sound. Thalin gently squeezed Milo’s shoulder, then jogged after the Aasimar. We must discard our differences for now, thought Thalin, though the narrow mindedness of Torious had scratched deep into the mage's mind.

Milo looked up as the mage ran off. Wiping his tears away, Milo sat cross-legged as he stared into the dying flames of the tower. Milo started as he saw the hazy image of an armour-clad man gazing back, his body wreathed in broiling embers.

Torious pushed aside a fallen doorway, and seeing a clutching hand waving desperately, grabbed hold and dragged the person to safety. Thalin pulled burnt debris away as the small figure crawled into the night air.

Coughing, and wiping his eyes, Mikka stood unsteadily. His clothes and face were caked black and his right arm was badly broken. Torious recognised the thief, and suddenly became unsure. Should he bring the vagrant to justice now or help the wounded man recover? Running the conundrum through in his mind, Torious reluctantly helped Mikka away from the building, healed his broken hand, and then led him towards Milo.

“Hey! HEY! Quickly! There's a man in the flames!” shouted Milo into the air, not wanting to turn away from the visage. The flaming man turned as Torious, Thalin and Mikka approached. The man swung his gaze over the companions, then the image faded as the embers containing him burnt to orange, then grey, then nothing.

“There was someone in the flames! He saw me and you and you and… Mikka?!?” cried Milo, suddenly distracted.
“Greetings Milo. Although not in the greatest of settings,” Mikka replied, dabbing at his soot-heavy face with a silk handkerchief.

Milo looked back at the strange thief and despite everything, laughed.

- - - - - - - - - -​

After Milo persuaded Torious not to hurt Mikka, the three companions moved outside of the town to set up camp. As the fire and tents were being made, Mikka explained what happened, although the three companions doubted some of the more favourable aspects of the story.

The attack had begun when the sun was setting. It had started when a man called Robar had led a group of knights into the Town Hall and promptly begun to murder every man, woman and child in there. After this, the burnings began. Mikka explained he had defeated a red-robed knight in single combat as he returned to douse flames that had started in a house full of children. As he helped pull the children to safety, a seven-foot tall knight with a snarling bear-mask had attacked and (Mikka’s face suddenly falls at this point in the recounting) begun to slaughter the townsfolk that were attempting to put out the flames. "The Bear", as the red-robed knights had called him, ordered his men to kill the children. And they obeyed out of fear. Mikka then proceeded to tell of his epic duel with this mighty foe and how he wrestled The Bear to the ground, but lost the pin because his opponent used dirty tactics.

At this point, Torious informed Mikka that if he lied again he would be forced to exact Tyr’s justice right there and then. Mikka gulped, then continued.

After running from The Bear, Mikka had hid in the house the three companions had pulled him from and using an arcane protection, endured the heat of the fire. But he got trapped because beams fell onto him. And that was that.

Thalin was interested to know that Mikka could use the Art, but Mikka informed Thalin (whilst Torious was off collecting more firewood) that his arcane skills really came from his heritage. Thalin didn’t seem to understand and Mikka explained that he was a tiefling. Born of a human and a devil and stuck on this plane of existence.

Mikka went to sleep, but not before making sure the rather confused Thalin and Milo didn’t tell Torious of his birthright. He produced a small seal of parchment and wrote a hasty contract, binding them to an oath. Thalin was wary of magic, but detected none. Mikka had let a secret slip, and he was backtracking, that was all.

- - - - - - - - - -​

The night passed uneventfully, and the morning came with the lingering stench of smoke. A hulking ceiling of clouds hung low and pregnant.

Torious awakened at the meagre dawn light and prayed to Tyr for guidance. After coming to a decision, Torious joined Thalin, Milo and Mikka who sat around a small fire. Mikka was cooking a batch of red sausages, and offered Torious a portion, but he waved them away.

“Thalin. Milo.” said Torious, not looking at Mikka as he talked, “I have come to a decision. I am going to travel westwards to bring this Robar to justice. He shall not escape Tyr’s wrath for long. I am sorry to leave you in a time like this, but my god has shown me the way.”

Torious stood for a moment, posed how he considered a hero should.

Milo stuffed a sausage in his mouth, then answered, “Yeah, well, I’m going with you,” chomped Milo, “So are Thalin and Mikka.”
Mikka looked up at the dumbfounded aasimar and grinned disarmingly.
“Sure you don’t want that sausage?”

Torious finally agreed to accompany the other three westwards, but only after making each swear that they wouldn’t prevent him dealing justice to Robar. Thalin needed safe passage to Tilverton, which lay westwards anyway. Milo and Mikka had flipped a coin.

Not wanting to waste any more time, the companions packed up and began westwards, following the heavy hoof prints and burnt offerings scattered behind Robar’s forces.

- - - - - - - - - -​

However, tragedy occured only minutes into the journey when Milo, already thoroughly bored, began to sift through the items he found in the mines. Searching through his backpack, Milo decided to rein in his curiosity and test the blandest items first (although he really wanted to investigate a small mechanical spider).

With this thought in mind, Milo withdrew a small bronze ring with a set of dwarven numerals on the side. Boring, thought Milo. Turning it over in his hand, his little face scrunched up with concentration, then remarked boldly, “One. Two. One.”

Milo grinned in victory as his companions looked at him. Seeing them start to turn back, and desperately not wanting to lose their attention, Milo pushed the ring on his finger (which shrank to fit him) and shouted out, “One. Two. One.”

With not so much as a sound, Milo blinked out of existence...

Last edited:

Ring of invisibility?
Ah, but you know I believe in magic items with that extra kick! And sure as dammnit Milo isn't on the Material Plane anymore... (interlude on the way to demonstrate just where Milo has got to now).

Thanks again Ashy, though I was sad to realise no-one died in the last update (I'm losing my touch!!!), but there were burnt bodies so i guess that counts.

Anyhow, Milo, Torious and Thalin have managed to stick together as a fairly cohesive group as so far. But that won't last for long... *rolleyes*

Spider J

Good stuff as ever, Spider J. Inter-party tension, wholesale destruction, an evil child-killing pyromaniac, mysterious disappearing images and unexpected consequences from a magic item! I'll certainly forgive the lack of anyone actually dying "on screen" .... but just this one time!! ;)

Heh...heh... inter-party conflicts (so long as they are managable) are the best for producing drama!
Oh yes. The party were constantly arguing in a happy way (players all got on, but their characters rubbed each other the wrong way. Having a party consisting of a straight-laced mage, naive-but-valiant priest and a chaotic halfling was always going to make things interesting. And one of the things I aimed to portray with this story hour was the banter that bounced between the group.

I'll certainly forgive the lack of anyone actually dying "on screen" .... but just this one time!!
phew. thanks. I'll aim to up the ante to genocide asap.

Well, I think leaving it hanging on that note of Milo disappearing is slightly poor form, so here is the mini-interlude and conclusion (but again! no-one dies! cursed I tell you! cursed!)

Spider J

p.s.
"Inter-party tension, wholesale destruction, an evil child-killing pyromaniac, mysterious disappearing images and unexpected consequences from a magic item!"
almost sums up my campaign strategy.

Add in.... [sblock]dragons, lots of death, torture, love, planar excursions, poison, sieges, more maniacs, blood, betrayal, more death, majestic tourneys, political brutality, sword duels to the death, a heavy dose of crazy CR's... and much more besides[/sblock] ....and you're there.

I would write it all in one go, but alas, I have to pace myself. Shame. ;)

Last edited:

Interlude Number Four: A Tale of Fortune

The sound of angels singing was so sweet that Milo began to cry. Their voices echoed every emotion possible in the beat of a single word. As his eyes adjusted to the bright lights, he wiped away a tear and gazed around. His dirty boots stood on a perfect marble floor that stretched outwards into a haze of white light. All around him were carved stone pillars that vaulted endlessly into the sky, they seemed to move and shimmer with the voices. In the grand hall, creatures of all sorts moved and danced, their faces joyous, their clothes simple. Some turned to watch Milo with glistening gold eyes. Some whispered his name.

Ahead of him, sat in a small, unimposing chair was a female human with gold-flecked skin. Her features were pretty, but not overbearing. She smiled, and a golden light played across the entire chamber. Around her, creatures of many different races played games together, their laughter at fortune or misfortune melding into one sanctimonious sound of revelry and enjoyment. In the skip of a heartbeat, Milo knew he would stay here forever if he could.

Milo stood awestruck as three robed figures approached the lady with three documents. A small halfling girl with pure white eyes laughed lightly then accepted a coin that the lady offered to her. The three figures nod and leave in turn as the girl flipped the coin and said “yes” then “no” then “yes” again. The lady on the chair smiled and turned to Milo. Milo walked forward slowly, the creatures parting as he advanced.

And then Tymora told Milo all he ever need know.

Last edited:

Remove ads