A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour - updated 19th December

"Hold on. Milo’s disappeared."

Thalin stared at where Milo had stood.
“Hold on. Milo’s disappeared,” said Thalin with a hint of concern.

After a few minutes of debating whether the halfling was invisible or had died (and a handful of other possibilities), Torious, Thalin and Mikka jumped back as Milo blinked back into reality. Right where he had been standing.

“Milo?” asked the three onlookers.
Milo stood thinking for a moment, “I think so.”
“What happened?”
“Umm… I’m not sure you would believe me,” said Milo, his brow furrowed as he tried to work through what he just saw.
“Sure we will,” assured Mikka.
“Well… I guess… that I… maybe saw… I suppose it was a god,” said Milo, looking down at the bronze ring sat snugly on his finger.

Mikka let a high-pitched laugh escape his lips. Torious remained deadly serious.
Thalin looks down at his companion with a sympathetic nod, “Well Milo, these sorts of magical disappearing rings have plenty of side effects. No matter what you saw, a ring that makes you invisible is very useful.”

Milo glanced up at Thalin, who nodded in his arcane musings, then resumed walking. Torious followed with a grim look on his face. Mikka watched them go, then hopped over and gazed keenly at Milo's new ring.

“You know, nobody really wants an invisibility ring these days. Maybe you’d do better with something like this…” soothed Mikka as he dug quickly into his robes, but making sure he didn’t take his eyes off of the ring. With a flourish, Mikka pulled out a gleaming metal spider.

“Oh. I’ve already got one of those,” Milo said as he walked past and tried to keep pace with his companions once more.

Coolness, Spider! Boy, do I wish I could pound out stuff at the rate you do!
Well, these posts had already been written. But I do try to keep well ahead of what I'm posting. Rather than write up each chapter, I set aside a certain amount of time way ahead of the posting deadline and just keep writing. At the very least a week or two. It can be edited and chopped up before I post it up (and I usually end up scratching my head over certain segments for days).

I'm going to attempt to hit the ground running with this story hour and keep the posting momentum. I'm confident.

My worries are that the casual readers will be bumped off, because they, say, check ENworld once a week - chances are that two updates will have jumped up in that time (though as you know, I keep 'em bitesized as often as I can... do you guys prefer this or would you rather have meatier posts to read through?).

ANYWAY. I'm blathering on.

I hope everyone else is keeping pace with the posts?!? Please let me know what you think of everything so far. Comments/criticisms/laughter welcome.

Spider J

Ashy

First Post
Well, I think that your posts are usually short enough that you can read through several at once, so I think you've hit on the magical formula (and if your reads are any indication, then you've got the magic, m'boy!) - I say: "Keep it up!" :)

Thanks again for the support Ashy, you know I appreciate it. :)

Okay, so here is a quick stopper before the next installment of A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour. Below are the descriptions/powers of the magic items that Milo picked up in the warden's office. It was quite a haul.

Milo, Thalin and Torious identified these items early on in their travels westward (which begin next update). I didn't want to go through the process of identification-story-telling, save for the dramatic few moments, such as the Tymora's Ring incident. Anyway, there I go again. I need to edit myself some time. Blurgh. Without further ado... here is the good stuff:

Tymora’s Ring: in the possession of Milo
Activates an instantaneous Plane Shift/Commune once every six months upon utterance of the words “One. Two. One” in any language. Plane Shift locates the user to Tymora’s palace, where direct contact with the Lady of Luck herself is quite possible. All wounds are healed and adverse effects dispelled upon entrance into the palace. As a side effect, it grants Luck of Heroes on the bearer (as the FR feat) – effectively +1 to all saving throws.

Stirge: in the possession of Torious
Pick -1, which gives the user an extra attack, each round. Stirge strikes with blinding speed but is erratic in its movement, almost acting against the will of the user. Additionally, flies do tend to hang around a little longer than usual. But maybe that is just Torious after all.

Talos’ Laughter: in the possession of Milo
Milo didn’t really take notice of the polished wooden box that these three crossbow bolts were housed in. On the underside of the case lid is the inscription: "The Heaven’s Echo Talo’s Laughter As The Storm Draws Near". When held, or even thought about, the skies above the characters darken, thunder booms low and lightning crackles in mad arcs. Milo has not dared load a bolt yet (let alone fire one), fearing what the consequences might be.

Silver-armoured mechanical spider (tiny construct): in the possession of Milo
Fitting onto a human’s palm, the spider is inanimate until the miniature burner in the spider’s body is stoked with gems (the better the quality, the better the fuel). When powered, the spider will follow simple vocal commands of “forward” “back” “left” and “right”. Additionally, the spider has a small crystal on its head, which will emit light (as per the spell) when “on” is spoken – “off” will negate the effect.

Unlabelled Red Potion: in possession of Thalin
In this heavy bottle is a clouded, red liquid that constantly shifts and swirls. It refuses to be identified. From inside, the sounds of snorting and hooves can be heard. Thalin has taken possession of this because he is worried that it could be a dangerous summoning spell. Milo continues to pick pocket it, then pretend that he has found another identical potion.

Miscellaneous party finds (more important ones): Roughly 5 cure light wound salves, a cure medium wounds scroll written in dwarven, lots of gems, more gems, a flesh to stone scroll and finally, a few bags of gems.

As you are pretty certain of now, I like my interesting magic items. I refused to give my players any +1 swords... never would I stoop so low! In fact, I had to fly in the face of my own statement and landed the heroes with twenty +1 swords all at the same time (you'll see... ;) ). Just to push the point home.

Every item has a history, usually a plot hook or two dangling away and something to differentiate it from the crowd. It was some of my most rewarding DM moments when the players went "oh wow, that's cool" at a new pick up - not necessarily a powerful item, just thought out and interesting.

Well, I'm sure you guys have skipped to here. Rant end.

Spider J

Last edited:

freedoms_edge

First Post
Just wait until you see Spirit's Whisper, now that is one COOL magic item. It ain't appeared in the story yet, but i'm sure Spider won't mind puttin it's stats on your thread.

Ain't that right SJ? :p

Spider - these rock, and lookse what I just asked for in my new "thread which shall not be named"...
As you wish [said the man in the black mask]. I'll dig out my pages of weirdo magic items that never quite made it into Ice, Luck and Honour - never got round to giving out The Ghostwise Gloves [gloves that have a dual spell of a few spectral hands with deflect arrows feat when activated - just thought it would look cool. But of course, they would interfere with the parties own firepower... he he]. Sigh.

Though please do use anything you want from this story hour. And sure, I'll post up Spirit's Whisper to your site. [Spider back-hands Freedom's Edge across the room. Why not just tell them that Mikka becomes King of the Universe??!!? dammnit. ;) ]

Well. It's time for an update. Should be here soon.

Spider J

"Kill the halfmen, burn the mageling and bring the head of the Tyr-son to me"

Two days passed as the four travellers moved westwards. On the eve of the first day, a light snow began to fall. Only Thalin was pleased, as he was used to such weather. Despite the cold, the companions pushed onwards as they began to pass more and more burnt shells of roadside shrines and buildings. At mid-afternoon of the second day, Torious spotted a thin curl of smoke in the distance of the snow-blanketed land and quickening their pace, the four companions trekked onwards.

After half an hour of hurried jogging, the smoke curl had become a billowing column, and the shouts of men could be heard from within a circle of trees. Dariel swooped above the white landscape and finding wheeling columns of red, told Thalin that there was a village set back from the road being overrun by knights. Thalin relayed this back to Torious, Milo and Mikka. The heroes decided that stealth was the better option, and they began to creep along the tree line to the village entrance.

Milo skulked forwards as a scout, counting on his small frame to hide him from the knights. Ahead of him, just to the side of the sloshed ice road was a man tied to a stake, his skin cracked and black from what had surely been a pyre built beneath his body.

A sudden thundering of hooves made Milo flatten himself to the ground and motioning to his companions to hide, the halfling watched as a detachment of red-robed knights trampled past and came to a halt on the road. Forty at least, thought Milo. Crawling forwards, the halfling tried to get within earshot of the knights talking.

Thalin held Torious down, his face pressed into the earth to stop him shouting as he squirmed to charge towards Robar.
“Shut up you fool! There are more than fifty of them, you’d just go and get killed!” hissed Thalin. Torious strained once but stopped as he heard a voice call out.

“…and you will return to Darmshall and find these four that I saw,” said Robar as he took his red helm from a nearby squire, “Kill the halfmen, burn the mageling and bring the head of the Tyr-son to me.”

The companions started at the references to themselves. Robar issued two quick commands and two knights departed back into the village. Ten knights thundered past towards Darmshall and the remainder turned and followed Robar as he headed westwards.

Letting the knights disperse and watching the two knights heading back into the village, Torious sat up and pushed Thalin off. They stared at each other for a moment, then Milo slid out of the surrounding shadows and beckoned for them to follow. Thalin broke away first and jogged after the halfling. Almost losing the slight form of Milo, Torious and Thalin stepped out of the trees and onto the road, where Milo had crept up to the staked man.

Milo looked back and said in a hurried voice, “He’s alive!”
Torious pushed past Thalin and Mikka and strode over to the burnt man. As they moved closer, the companions saw that the man was dressed in burnt cleric robes, his breathing rasped through his scalded throat. Milo and Torious immediately stepped over and helped the man down whilst Mikka and Thalin kept a look out to ensure the two knights weren’t returning.

Laying the man on the floor, Torious empowered his healing but stopped as the man cried out in pain as his burns crackled and burst.
“Curses! His wounds… they won’t heal,” said Torious as he struggled to understand why his powers wouldn’t work.

Milo crouched over the man and stared intently into his eyes. Wild with pain, the cleric looked up at the companions who had pulled him down and managed to speak in a halting, crackling voice.
“You, you must… not stay… she is there…” the man coughed violently, his face wracked in agony.
“What?" shouted Torious, "Why will your wounds not heal?”
“… no… you cannot trust her… the fire is from the abyss… cannot be healed,” wheezed the man, his body suddenly spasming. He grimaced in pain, then spluttered once before speaking his last words.
“You… you cannot trust her… the woman… that woman in red.”

To be continued in…

Ice, Luck and Honour
Chapter 8: Red is the Colour

The heroes face a dilemma as they race to decipher the burnt cleric’s words. Attempting to rescue trapped townsfolk from a burning church, the heroes must overcome their differences as the scent of the scorched town alerts deadly predators.

A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour
Chapter 8: Red is the Colour

"For Robar!"

Torious watched the priest die. A draining sadness pierced through the Aasimar as he thought of every being felled by Robar would have endured this very same fate. How many more lives will be extinguished to appease this fiery god?

Torious gently closed the crusted eyelids, whispering a prayer to ease the murdered soul into the next life. The aasimar then stood and drew Freedom’s Edge.
“Thalin. Milo. We are to take those knights in the village alive.” Torious clenched his mailed fist in a sudden burst of rage, “I swear to bring the sword of justice to Robar, even if I must chase him through the Nine Hells and back. He shall not escape my wrath.”

Torious spun on his heel to glare at Mikka with an almost level hatred.
“And you. You shall stay here.”
“As you command, oh illuminated one,” remarked Mikka, sitting himself down and resting his back against the charred stake as Torious stalked purposefully towards the village. Thalin followed.

Milo threw a look back at Mikka. He checked that the others weren't looking, then struck a ridiculously dramatic pose, imitating the grand movements of Torious. Mikka started to laugh like a baby hyena as Milo turned and scurried after his companions.

- - - - - - - - - -

After quickly discussing the words of the dying cleric, and agreeing that they should be on the lookout for this “woman in red”, the three heroes advanced cautiously through the trees towards the village. The stench of smoke lay heavy as Milo crept forwards, his crossbow levelled. Ahead of the companions, the village came into view. The few small houses were burnt shells, trails of smoke from the ruins drew lazy charcoal smears in the sky.

“Alive,” hissed Torious as he saw the eager halfling sight the two knights, who had dismounted and begun to nonchalantly sift through the smouldering remains of a village house.

Milo detached silently from the tree line and like a shadow, drifted from one wall to the next. He circled out of view of the two knights. Thalin began to summon arcane energies forth, his brow knotted in concentration as he left the last words unspoken.

Torious stepped out from the trees with his crossbow levelled, then called out, “Defilers! Lay down your swords.”

The knights turn promptly as they heard the voice, their half plate glinting in the embers of the burning town. One knight wavered for a moment, his young face uncertain. The other reacted lightning fast. Dropping to a crouch, he dashed forwards, his longsword drawn.
“For Robar!” bellowed the man as he charged.

Last edited:

Remove ads