• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Clash of Earth and Sea (El Jefe Judging) [See Part II]

Pbartender

First Post
Patlin said:
Does Jack have a light source?

OOC: If necessary, he has an Everburning Lantern that he can unshutter... He'd rather not use it, for obvious reasons, if there is already light in the 'kitchen', though. I had assumed there was some sort of light emanating from the fireplace, since Jack got a pretty good description of the immediate area 80' down a hole. ;)

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Pbartender said:
OOC: If necessary, he has an Everburning Lantern that he can unshutter... He'd rather not use it, for obvious reasons, if there is already light in the 'kitchen', though. I had assumed there was some sort of light emanating from the fireplace, since Jack got a pretty good description of the immediate area 80' down a hole. ;)

In the pitch darkness of the shaft, the still glowing embers of the fire seem bright. Not bright enough to see particularly far into the room, but they did enable Jack to see something. In the distance, he can see a little bit of a glow... he'd guess there might be a light on the other side of a closed door somewhere in the room.

From what he can see based on the embers, Jack suspects the fireplace is in a bedroom of some sort.

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy suggests making a loop in the rope and tightening it abour the base of the chimney which protrudes from the ground. If Zach and Sara are present, perhaps they could guard the top and make sure the rope doesn't slip.

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
Iggy suggests making a loop in the rope and tightening it abour the base of the chimney which protrudes from the ground. If Zach and Sara are present, perhaps they could guard the top and make sure the rope doesn't slip.

The shaft really doesn't protrude from the ground... perhaps if you had some spikes, you could rig something.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: I can't tell from the map just where the chimney is. How far from the trees is it? If we've got 90 feet of rope or, and the chimney is 80 feet deep, then it's probably not an option. This means someone has to hold the rope on top, or someone has to chance it coming down w/o the assisstance of the rope.

SlagMortar

First Post
Planus says quietly, "We really should find a way to secure the rope in case we need to make a quick get away. We could tie it around my rapier and drive it into the ground. I still have my dagger if need be.

OOC: I don't really know if that would work. Probably depends on how hard the ground is. It would need to be soft enough to drive the rapier in, but hard enough to hold once it was there.

Pbartender

First Post
Patlin said:
In the pitch darkness of the shaft, the still glowing embers of the fire seem bright. Not bright enough to see particularly far into the room, but they did enable Jack to see something. In the distance, he can see a little bit of a glow... he'd guess there might be a light on the other side of a closed door somewhere in the room.

From what he can see based on the embers, Jack suspects the fireplace is in a bedroom of some sort.

Jack opens the shutter on his magic lantern just wide enough and just long enough to get a better look at the room.

Patlin

Explorer
In the brief flare of light, jack catches a glance of a desserted bedroom. Pallates seem to have been set up for three human sized figures, there are a number of candles at various points which would illuminate the room if lit. A door lies in the direction Jack thought it might.

Examining the ground, Planus is highly skeptical of his plan for the rapier. It could possibly be done, but the rocky ground would almost certainly destroy the rapier in the process.

Pbartender

First Post
Jack gingerly steps over the glowing coals and into the room. Giving himself a small amount of light from the lantern to see by, he first checks to see if the door to the room has a lock.

Manzanita

First Post
Ignatious O'Reilly 5th level halfling wizard

"The rapier would at least hold the rope up here. Then if Jack could climb out by himself, he could then take hold of the rope to help the next person. The concept of a quick escape is appealing, but impractical. There's no quick escape up an 80 foot chimney. Not unless I've got a couple levitate spells memorized. I say we all head down."

Presumably Jack has returned by the time they have this discussion.

"Jack can come down last, not using the rope."

Remove ads