• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Clash of Earth and Sea (El Jefe Judging) [See Part II]

Manzanita

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: Manzanita, how many charges left in the wand?

OOC: 4. And Iggy is about 3000 XPs away from learning that spell!

Iggy sighs. "We lack proper protection for climbing down the hot, smoky chimney, I suppose. Would anyone want to risk it? We have rope, don't we? Our prior fights against these merrow underwater have been brutal. I'd prefer to avoid going back under there."

Iggy gives the amulet to Charlarn. "Try this on, Charlarn. I think it gives protections to physical attacks. You probably need it more than I do."

Velmont

First Post
"you spoke of 4 wizards, which means there is three left. What about those merrow and the trolls you spoke of. Is there any left you are aware of?" asks Opale.

[SBLOCK=OOC]1 charge is 100 minutes minimum. At worst, it means we can go to the lair only twice, (1 charge to go, one charge to come back, if it take more than 100 minutes), after that, we have to hope Iggy have gained 3000 xp ;) [/SBLOCK]

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: male human cleric 3/ranger 2

Manzanita said:
Iggy sighs. "We lack proper protection for climbing down the hot, smoky chimney, I suppose. Would anyone want to risk it? We have rope, don't we? Our prior fights against these merrow underwater have been brutal. I'd prefer to avoid going back under there."

Iggy gives the amulet to Charlarn. "Try this on, Charlarn. I think it gives protections to physical attacks. You probably need it more than I do."
Charlarn takes the offered amulet and puts it on. "Thank you, Iggy. I hope I don't need this, but that's not likely." He blows out a breath. "Defending the weak is a tough business. But this is Phyrah's will. If we're going underwater, then we can put things that can't get wet into this magic pack here." He gestures to the Handy Haversack. "I'd rather not go underwater either. Let's try the chimney first."

Cleric Spells Prepared (4/3+1/2+1: save DC 13 + level):
0-detect magic, light (2), mending;
1-bless, sanctuary*, shield of faith, summon monster I;
2-shield other*, silence, spiritual weapon.
*Domain spell.

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy asks everyone to check their gear. "I see Charlarn has 45 feet of rope. Evidently, no one else brought any."

OOC: zach has some, but I'm assuming now that he went off with Sara.

"I didn't think to prepare my levitation or feather fall spells. Shall we go back and take a chance that the chimney isn't more than 50 feet deep? Would anyone volunteer to go down first? You might even be able to climb down, Jack, if you braced yourself properly. But I don't want you going down by yourself if the rest of us couldn't follow. Even if there are no merrow or wizards in the kitchen, it's sure to be dangerous."

Patlin

Explorer
Manzanita said:
OOC: zach has some, but I'm assuming now that he went off with Sara.

Zack and Sara are still about, at least in theory, and will guard the top of the shaft while the party climbs down -- perhaps to mysteriously reappear should their player post.

Zack can provide his rope.

Pbartender

First Post
"Tie me to the rope in you need to haul me back up quick, and the rest of you can help lower me down," Jack says "I'm not very heavy, and it doesn't seem a very difficult climb."

"I'll take a careful look down the hole, and if it isn't safe I'll come right back up."

OOC: So this would be "A rope with a wall to brace against", roughly DC 5 for Jack or Iggy. Is it safe to assume that for the bigger people it would also count as "Climbing a chimney (artificial or natural) or other location where you can brace against two opposite walls"?... -10 to the DC, for a total of -5? Unless the circumstances change, it should be a pretty easy climb.

Manzanita

First Post
Iggy smiles, excited at the prospect of avoiding another undewater fight. He hands Zach and Charlarn's rope to Jack, then looks on expectantly for him to expertly tie them together. This is the first time he's adventured with another halfling, and he wants the whole party to know how useful they are.

With nearly 100 feet of rope, Iggy figures they'll get Jack to the bottom. There are some trees about, but not so near as to make a good tying post. Actually, the could tie the rope around the chimney itself, and thus let people shimmy down even if no one is on top to lower them. Iggy will leave Jack in charge of the descent, though, as he feels this unassuming halfling must be good at this sort of thing.

Patlin

Explorer
Jack, surveying the chimney carefully, determines that it should indeed be an easy climb (DC -5.) The real problem had been the difficulty of climbing through the smoke, which the party has allready resolved. Splicing two ropes together is a DC 15 use rope check, and Jack and Iggy together are able to accomplish this without difficulty.

Jack climbs down to explore the chimney, going carefully and taking no chances. The climb remains easy all the way down to the fireplace, which is 80' below. He quickly discovers, however, that the fireplace isn't the end of the shaft. A bit of duct work has been constructed to funnel the smoke into the chimney when the fire is going. The chimney seems to widen out below, with a somewhat more difficult climb heading to a lower level.

For more than jack to descend, the rope will need to be secured. How do you wish to secure the rope? One option would be to one of the nearby trees, though the trees are far enough away that you would effectively lose quite a bit of length for your rope that way.

Remove ads