• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Different Type of Familiar

Armando

First Post
I was making a wizard recently and decided I wanted a different familiar than the ones listed in the PHB and DMG. I wanted Bob the Skull. (From the Dresden file books, not the show) However I am not sure how to make him in the framework of D&D 3.5.

He would most definitely be an intelligent item, but he would only help in things like knowledge or craft checks, and not as a passive bonus; he would have to be asked specific questions or used in specific situations. No other bonuses would be gained from possessing bob.

However I'm not sure that this is the best way to go about making him and could use some input.

Fallenibilis

First Post
Perhaps Item Familer though thats not really what your looking for and would only gains sentince after 7th levl plus you need to be at least 3rd level to take the feat.

Hmmm... Perhaps an improved familer and base it off a Humunculus?
So you'll have to be at least 7th level.

Hope i helped, though im not sure i did...

Anyway, Fallenibilis

Thanael

Explorer
Well Bob is nto an item he's a spirit of knowledge bound to a skull. Harry sometimes allows him to go free from the skull, so he definitely can. Bob's actually the ghost of a necromancer bound to his own skull.

I'd say use either undead familiar and make a custom ghost sage/necromancer including a curse to bind him to the skull. Or use improved familiar to choose some obscure (probably planescape) monster that is closest to a spirit of knowledge that can assist a wizard. An Imp might or a mephit might be similar in play especially if you add a few class levels of expert or wizard.

(According to this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/250716-3-5-improved-familiar-rules.html, improved familiar can be used for many different creatures, the list in the feat is only a suggestion)

Or get yourself a Mimir. (Mimir conversion) and use it as an item familiar

Last edited:

TanisFrey

First Post
Well Bob is nto an item he's a spirit of knowledge bound to a skull. Harry sometimes allows him to go free from the skull, so he definitely can. Bob's actually the ghost of a necromancer bound to his own skull.
Only the crappy TV series had Bob be a ghost of a dead wizard (they never mentioned if he was once a necromancer or not.)

In the book series Bob is clearly a Fey of air on the run from Mab for some unknown reason. Bob is a spirit of knowledge who allowed a wizard to bind him into a skull. He hides out in the skull from Mab and acts as a library to the owner of the skull. He can be released from the skull and posses other when requested by his owner.

Noctos

First Post
i like your inventive-ness as a person who always tries to create new and harsh methods of interfering with the characters in a dnd campainge. i would suggest if you go with the spirit of an ex necromancer who was bond to the skull. that every so often a skill check to see if he spiritly over powers the owner and they swap places as i would not be able to believe that the necromancer honestly wants to be trapped in the skull for ever.that and give him like a 50% chance that all information is a lie when asked a question

Only the crappy TV series had Bob be a ghost of a dead wizard (they never mentioned if he was once a necromancer or not.)

it's dnd create anything you want any way you want. thats why it's fantasy.

TanisFrey

First Post
I believed that I was trying to limit my comments to what Bob the Skull from the Dresden files is. The TV series was crap, they making Bob into a ghost like form was the only change from the books I could support as a fan of the books.

I did not want to limit the player's choice, that is for his DM to decide on.

Armando

First Post
Actually Item Familiar might be just what I was looking for. I found the rules on inheriting an item familiar and it would help fit bob into the characters history. I just have to tweak a few things and it should all be on the level.

Thanks

Remove ads