• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A druid and it's large friends..overbalanced?

Psyduck

First Post
Is a druid's animal companion HD allowance too much? A 6th level druid can get a dire bear. Can someone tell me why this amount shouldn't be halved?

Xarlen

First Post
Okay, I think I get this.

So a Druid can make friends with an animal twice their HD, but they can't Maintain it.

Last edited:

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Xarlen said:
Okay, I think I get this.

So a Druid can make friends with an animal twice their HD, but they can't Maintain it.

Well, it depends. If the druid is defending his homeland and his companion who is twice his HD is from his homeland, he'll be able to maintain it.

Valicor

First Post
Actually the Druid is one of the most balanced classes in the Core Rules. Due to its weapon & armour restrictions along with alignment restictions it really drives the character down a specific yet flexible path.

With spella like Animal Growth, & Greater Natural Weapon a druid can make his animal companions realy strong, but at the cost of spells. Also as noted before you can only have double your Hit Dice if you stay in one area.

So it does keep the animal population under control, in a party siuation. And if your worried about a Druid's dire bear outshining a player in combat just remmber, it has a really low AC, lower in most cases then a player and will fall much faster and harder.

Animal companions are an avenue through which druids could maximize their combat capabilities, but from an RP siuation is every single animal you freshly reqruit gonna indanger itself? Animals are also built with a fight or flight mechanism. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with having your animals fight for you but they should also on some level have a desire to protect you, and for you to protect them. Not just see them as a tool of combat.

Some other examples of ways people can get a strogn fighter to assist them, is Leadership.

JLXC

First Post
In both the DMG and Masters of the Wild is is Clearly mentioned that

a. Any druid can ONLY EVAR have an animal companion with the DRUID level in HD or lower.

b. A stationary homey druid can have twice his level in HD BUT this in no way changes A above. So you could have 2 companions with you Level HD or LESS.

This simple confusion makes many DM's hate the druid. It's NOT that bad if you go by the above (i.e. as written)

Psyduck

First Post
Thanks everyone. This seems to be a lot better than what I thought. The PhB Animal Friendship spell seems very misleading at first.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads