• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A first look at Destan's Valus sourcebook

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Psion said:
This is a point I like. I find it grating that many settings whitewash away aspects of humanity that I have a hard time beleiving would be absent from fantasy human societies. I mean it's all well and good to recognize and minimize it in our own society, but in fantasy setting, it's a hurdle that makes the world feel more realistic as well as having great potential to create compelling stories.

Me too. The more of this book I read, the more impressed I become.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Me too. The more of this book I read, the more impressed I become.
If you manage to make it to Southern Exposure, I may be running a game set in the Valus. At least, I hope to. :D

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Lela said:
...does that mean a Neutral Cleric who chooses Good must also choose Evil (and vice versa)?

Yep. So a Neutral cleric could have both Good and Evil as her domains, or neither, but not just one or the other. Since all the Risen Gods have Good and Evil (and War) as domain options, their choice of deity doesn't unduly restrict them.

Note that a Neutral cleric still needs to pick whether she turns/rebukes undead and spontaneously casts cure/inflict spells (though the Valusian Divine Conduit feat can circumvent that restriction).

And, for what it's worth, I probably could and should have written it a bit more clearly. You're the third person to ask that exact question, and one of them came from a guy who helped me write the dang book. We'll fix it in the second printing!

As a side note, the first review popped up here at EN World. Another one's set to pop on RPG.net in a day or two.

D

grodog

Hero
Destan said:
And, for what it's worth, I probably could and should have written it a bit more clearly. You're the third person to ask that exact question, and one of them came from a guy who helped me write the dang book. We'll fix it in the second printing!

Perhaps we should add that to the FAQ Ryan?

For anyone in the Northern California area, Different Worlds will be at ConQuest this weekend, so feel free to stop by and say hello to Tadashi and browse and buy the books :D

Voadam

Legend
Is there a glossary? I'm going through it and I keep wanting to look up what's a ruken? A dwem? drell are elves and durven are dwarves and they are referenced enough that I am keeping them straight, but a few less referenced uncommon ones keep tripping me up.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Is there a glossary? I'm going through it and I keep wanting to look up what's a ruken? A dwem? drell are elves and durven are dwarves and they are referenced enough that I am keeping them straight, but a few less referenced uncommon ones keep tripping me up.
Rûcken is a generic term for most of the humanoid races. It's something of a catch-all term for goblins, orcs and assorted unpleasant folks.

A Dwem is a 'dark' dwarf...a dueregar, essentially. Primarily found in the Deepingdelve, iirc, they are durven that have permanently gone to the other side, for all intents and purposes. At least two of the clans hate them as much or more than the rûcken.

Any others? Drimm, maybe? Pem?

These might be good candidates for the FAQ, guys.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Destan said:
Note that a Neutral cleric still needs to pick whether she turns/rebukes undead and spontaneously casts cure/inflict spells (though the Valusian Divine Conduit feat can circumvent that restriction).
You've made me really want to play a Cleric for the first time in my entire gaming career.

Destan said:
D
I recomend an example. In fact, I recall that I found myself reading ahead looking for one. There are plenty of confusing lines out there, in highly popular books, that are immeditally cleared up by an example. Add that note from above on and you'll send readers scurrying to the feats section, engrossed in the posibilities.

Destan said:
As a side note, the first review popped up here at EN World. Another one's set to pop on RPG.net in a day or two.
He seems a trifle confused about how the Hallow/Unhallow spell works. But otherwise, it's a good review.

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Hiya all,

Lots of interesting things happening on the boards over the last couple days, huh? At any rate, if you need a respite, the second review of Valus is now up at RPG.net: Valus Review.

Voadam - I had wanted a glossary (and an index, for that matter) in the first book, but time constraints kicked those hopes to the curb. I'm gonna try to work on one in the next couple days/weeks. I can't promise when - or even if - it'll be finished, but I'll do what I can. If you have any specific unanswered questions, shoot me an email at fakerjsmalls@yahoo.com. Just drop the 'fake' from the name.

Hope everyone (in the USA, anyway) had an enjoyable holiday weekend.

D

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
WizarDru said:
These might be good candidates for the FAQ, guys.

I agree WizarDru, or perhaps we could begin an online glossary (.html is built for just such a thing, of course). What say ye Ryan?

Remove ads