A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sh'aah and Comoray manage to prise the shackles from the wall. Chains still dangling from his wrists, the dwarf groans and stretches, trying to remove some of the kinks in his tortured arms.

"My name Rexun Edelstimme," he says. "Herald to King Eisenbart. In his name, and mine, I thank you." He bows. "Will you to your Lady take me?" He looks down. "Perhaps some clothes for me finding first, yes? I am not in decent state for a Lady."

Kaodi

Hero
"I suppose we can have a brief look about for something," says Comoray. "But best not to tarry too long. As long as you wear your pride, I do not think you need worry about Arcata's judgement of your state of dress."

Shayuri

First Post
Bastian returns, his grieves in place, breastplate in one arm and gauntlets in the other. He puts the gauntlets on the floor, then nods for the attending Fyfe to help him into the breastplate.

"I agree. Things ARE different here," he says, calling back to Arcata's comment as he left to gather his armor. "But I fear that doesn't decrease the danger. It just changes the directions and the shape we can expect it to take."

"But some of the most insidious dangers come from within," Arcana comments.

She frowns and looks down.

"It's been a long time, don't you think?"

Bastian knows that voice. It's the voice she uses when she's considering doing something remarkably ill-advised.

Dr Simon

Explorer
From the window of the keep, as Arcata, Bastian and the others keep watch for the return of Sh'aah and Comoray, a faint blue light can suddenly be seen springing up in the cliffs that rise above the Waystation on the eastern side, rocky crags with a rough scattering of intrepid pine trees clinging to the side.

Kaodi

Hero
Comoray takes a quick look around for anything that Rexun could use to cover himself a little more thoroughly, and then asks Sh'aah, "Shall we head back then, or do you wish to check the third tunnel?"

jkason

First Post
Bastian, giving his tanks to Fyfe for fitting the last of his gauntlets properly, frowns as Arcata looks below. He crosses quickly, whispering, "You did not just wait until I was heavy with armor to decide to follow, did you?".

Afraid of just what she might have in mind, Bastian catches the blue light off in the distance.

"Give them just a few minutes more. If they were caught, there'd already be someone coming toward our door. That over there, though, might be something worth watching." he glances around to see if there appears to be any other activity coming from their surroundings in response to the light.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah grunted, then shrugged noncomittaly. "Is trouble with one. Too much with two," he explained somewhat cryptically. "We go," he continued, heading back the way they came without checking to see if the others followed.

On reaching the larger chamber he halted, listening to try and discover if their escape efforts had been noted. Noise from the cavern system did carry, after all, or they wouldn't be here...

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sh'aah can hear no other souds to suggest that the three of them are not alone in the tunnel system. Pressing forwards, they return to the opposite cellar, the one with the opening in the wall. To his credit, Rexun is little perturbed by the sheer drop and manages to clamber up to the courtyard of the waystation. Now it was just a matter of crossing this and back to the opposite tower where, it was to be hoped, Lady Arcata and Bastian were still waiting.

Shayuri

First Post
Perhaps fortunately, perhaps not, Arcata does look where Bastian points and frowns a little, as the mystery of the light distracts her from whatever fool notion she'd been considering.

"Now what is that?"
she murmurs. "Bastian, what's over there? It's past the walls isn't it?" She leans a little out the window to get a better look. "No...no, it's above the Waystation, but far over. Someone climbing the cliffs? But dwarfs wouldn't need a light. Ah! What I wouldn't give for a spyglass!"

Her complaints fall silent for a moment as she watches the strange light until it vanishes, hoping to get a better look...and marking the place where it reaches the top.

"We have to check that spot out. Once we're done here."

Remove ads