• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A less terrible monk.

Gomer212

First Post
So, in an attempt to allow monks to keep up with the other martial classes, I came up with this. It uses some Pathfinder stuff, some splatbook stuff, and some stuff I just made up. It's thus far been playtested from levels 1-8 in a combat heavy 3.5 game and it seems to work alright.

The ability to make multiple attacks as a standard attack or attack of opportunity allows the player to use the increased movement rate while keeping up with high DPS characters like the two handed melee characters.

The class is unchanged except where noted below.

Monks get full BaB. (Base Attack Bonus = Level)

Flurry of Blows
Monks may use Flurry of Blows as a standard action or single attack of opportunity, making only one attack at the highest BaB, plus the extras granted from the Flurry. This means the monk may attack twice as a standard action or single attack of opportunity from 1st level. Starting at 11th, the monk may make 3 attacks as a standard action or single attack of opportunity. Normal flurry penalties apply.

Bonus Feats
At 1st and 2nd level, the monk gains a Bonus Feat. The feat must be from the following list:
Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist

At 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter (10th, 14th, 18th...) the monk gains another Bonus Feat, and the following are added to the list.
Extra Stunning (CW, pg.98)
Fiery Fist (PHBII, pg.79)
Fiery Ki Defense* (PHBII, pg.79)
Ki Blast (PHBII, pg.80)
Improved Disarm
Improved Stunning Fist (DMG, pg.210, No longer counts as "Epic")
Improved Trip
Weakening Touch (CW, pg.106)

The monk only needs to meet the feat requirements of any bonus feats he takes.

If you see any potential problems with this class or have any suggestions or comments, drop them here. I'm also looking for more suggestions to splatbook feats that may be added to the list of bonus feats after 6th.

Stormonu

Legend
Personally, the only two things I dislike about the monk is there is no variety in their granted abilities and the Lawful alignment requirement.

The above changes your suggesting do look beneficial, but I have to admit I've both seen players who've made monks that suck (what we call the "hot pocket monk") and monks that are badass (usually drunk monks).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads