A LoTR Inspired Fantasy Movie Renaissance - What Happened?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mog Elffoe said:
Then Peter Jackson's King Kong will be *perfect* for you because the dinosaurs all get the snot kicked out of them by a giant ape! :D
Yeah, but I've already seen the two past versions. I can't believe I've forgotten that the 1933 film have dinosaurs (the movie that inspired Jackson to be a filmmaker).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Really. What is so great about winning the Oscar? Well, films like Braveheart and actors like Russell Crowe have one but that doesn't necessarily legitimize their works and performances.

I don't know. I guess to me, it's an attempt to be recognized by their own peers and producers and executives in Hollywood, rather than the moviegoer's that pays their bills and give their company a hefty profit for a great entertaining performance well done.

IMHO, Oscar = Hollywood politics.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Yeah, but I've already seen the two past versions.

Okay, but what's that got to do with anything? I saw Bakshi's LotR and Rankin & Bass' Return of the King, but I'm still going to see the new movies. Seriously, saying you don't need to see PJ's King Kong just because you've seen the terrible 1976 King Kong already is right along those same lines. Have some faith in PJ, man. :cool:

Bass Puppet

First Post
I've never cared what the Academy defines as the "Best Picture" of the year is and even if Return of the King wins, it still won't change my mind. F the Academy, it's just hypacritcal hollywood fluff.

..and I will be attending RotK with much anticipation. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mog Elffoe said:
Okay, but what's that got to do with anything? I saw Bakshi's LotR and Rankin & Bass' Return of the King, but I'm still going to see the new movies. Seriously, saying you don't need to see PJ's King Kong just because you've seen the terrible 1976 King Kong already is right along those same lines. Have some faith in PJ, man. :cool:
I'm sure PJ is going to do right -- at least one hopes -- with regards to King Kong.

But for myself personally, I'm not a big a fan of King Kong films as I am with LOTR. No disrespect to PJ, who prior to LOTR have done horror films under his belt, and I probably have never seen one of them nor am I forcing myself to.

Heh, what must have been like back in the late 1990's, when the first major announcement of a live-action LOTR film to be directed by a guy who have done horror films. Must have changed a lot of minds by now.

:D

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
Mog Elffoe said:
Personally, I'm super excited about Peter Jackson's NEXT project--the one that he REALLY passionate about--a remake of the the original 1933 King Kong. Imagine the scenes with the tyrannosaurus rex in Jurassic Park and how awesome it looked--now imagine the t-rex being just as awesome or maybe even moreso, and then getting its ass handed to it by a giant ape!
This reminds me, if you go back and watch that fight scene, Kong uses legit wrestling technique against Rex.

Welverin

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Another is that if we ever make a Godzilla picture, there will be BIG monsters. Not lots of little monsters. And people will get squished. Lots of people.

Can I buy tickets now, or do I have to wait?

mmadsen said:
This reminds me, if you go back and watch that fight scene, Kong uses legit wrestling technique against Rex.

I wonder where he learned that.

Last edited:

Remove ads