A Merc's Life: Howl of the Carrion King [03]

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

Tsadok and Houwlou make their way to their booth. Not sure how much sleep is gonna take place tonight but as least some rest will be good for both of them I'm sure.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Somewhat surprisingly to both of you, you are unmolested as you sleep through the night (feel free to set watches as that would be in character, but there are no encounters).

You wake about an hour before dawn feeling somewhat refreshed. Kardswann remains on his balcony; he was there all night. The combat stage was unused last night, though there was activity in and out of the place all night long - Gnoll patrols checking in, arguments between the Bugbears, etc.

[sblock=Keeland and Harnry]Your 'sleep,' such as it was, was not so comfortable. Though you managed to remain out of sight and unnoticed through the night, temperatures in the high desert are near freezing at night. Between that, the hard ground and the constant fear of discovery by the patrols going in and out you managed to get no rest (until you get appropriate rest in relative safety, you will have the Fatigued condition).[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC - All]We went a little off script for this part, which was very cool - I like and want to encourage unique approaches - but I don't feel like I handled it well. Between running short on time, David's unfortunate absence (welcome back, DeWar!) and the trouble I had figuring out how Kardswann and his cronies would act I was struggling. I'll try to learn from it and keep improving.

One thing I could have done but didn't think about until just the other night was set up a couple of side threads and had some things for both parts of the party to do. That's worked well for me in another game; though it's quite a bit of work the result was worth it, I think. Maybe next time . . .[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

OOC - Mike, Thanks for indulging us. I know we didn't get a lot done but we aren't quite so blind now when we do go back in, so from my character's point of view this little recon mission was about as successful as it could be.

Tsadok doesn't ask Houwlou about watches but rather tries his best to "sleep with one eye open." He wakes early and nudges his friend. "Are you ready to get going?"

Leif

Adventurer
Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger4

Unable to properly let down his guard to get some real, good-quality sleep in their present environs, Houwlou is already awake when Tsadok goes to "rouse" him. "Indeed, Tsadok. Let us get this done and behind us." The Olcán is up at once and ready to go in the briefest of moments.

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   Houwlou Groulenas, Olcán Ranger
   Level: Ranger 4
   HP: 44/44     AC: 17  AC(T): 11   AC(FF): 16
 Init: +01    ST(F):+05  ST(R):+04    ST(W):+05
  Per: 15 (+2 Undead or Desert) HERO Points: 03

BAB: 04       CMB: +7     CMD: 18

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Longsword (MW)          +9        1d8+3       19-20/x2     +1 TH Gnolls
Dagger +1 (T)           +8 (+6)   1d4+2       19-20/x2     +3 TH/Damage
Longsword (MW)          +7        1d8+3       19-20/x2        (Undead)
  & Dagger +1           +6        1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Longsword (MW)          +5        1d8+3       19-20/x2     
  & Longsword           +4        1d8+1       19-20/x2     
Javelin   (M)           +5 (+3)   1d6+3          20/x2     Range 30'

Selected Skills (not all are shown)
Acrobatics -5; Appraise +4; Bluff +5; Climb +2; Diplomacy +3; 
Intimidate +3; Knowledge (nature) +9; Handle Animal +10; Heal +10;  
Perception +15; Profession (Guide) +10; Ride +3; Sense Motive +7; 
Spellcraft +10; Stealth +2; Survival +10; Swim -9

Spells Prepared:
Summon Nature's Ally I
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Tsadok

So the two of them gather what they brought and begin looking for Kardswann to say goodbye before they leave. If they see him great, if not no worries, I'm sure he'll know they have left. They take their leave and begin going in the direction they said they were headed (North, I think). Once they are a good distance away, they will turn and head back to the others.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Just gonna do a quick descriptive post here and assume some PC actions to get things back on track.

You wake after a short and restless - but unmolested - sleep to find Kardswann still at his post, in pretty much the same position he was keeping when you went to sleep. He responds somewhat indifferently to your farewells but does not attempt to stop you from leaving, and you make your way out of Kelmarane with nothing more alarming than crossing paths with a few Gnoll patrols - they don't attempt to stop you.

Keeland and Harnry take note of your pre-dawn departure and somehow manage to make their way out of the town as well. Trusting that you'll eventually change course and make for the monastery, they head directly back. By mid-morning you are all safely back within the monastery walls and gathered for a strategy session!

Scotley

Hero
ooc: shudder-next time?

Ic: "Keeland, hhhow fffairrr thee?" asks a shivering Harnrey.

"Freezing my protruding parts off," he responds stifling a yawn. "Still I guess better to be out here in the cold than in there with Gnolls and Bugbears."

"Ah look, they are off."
He shivers and begins to gather his things trying to leave as little trace of there presence here as possible. "I guess they managed not to end up in the breakfast pot or a noose, thank the gods." Seeing Houwlou and Tsadok vanish into the pre-dawn gloom he adds, "Come on, I think we need to make our way back in haste. We are too tired and cold to be of much use." Only with a great effort of will does Keeland remain careful and measured in his pace back to the monastery.

[sblock]I thought you handled things well. I was content to remain in the background until Harney/deWar returned to the action and the others completed their scouting mission.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Keeland greets the others warmly when they return safe. "So what did you learn as well snuggled up with sand fleas for warmth?" Despite his cheery words it is clear from the dark circles under his eyes that Keeland spent a long and sleepless night worrying.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A slouching wizard follows Keeland back to the monistary, his attention distracted by the effort of not shivering or letting his teeth chatter.

The now cold and weary wizard looks grumpily at the sight of the two other bees, but he sits at the table, waiting to hear the report.

[sblock=ditto this]I thought you handled things well. I was content to remain in the background until I returned to the action and the others completed their scouting mission.[/sblock]

Remove ads