A Night at the Four Seasons (DM: renau1g, Judge:Ozymandias79)

OOC: Cyr is perceptive, but without night vision. And he could use a defender in case of trouble.

"I'd take first or last watch as you decide, I'm less good in the middle of the night."

OOC: I think the darkest hour is just before dawn, but necer compared it :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Damen settles in on the roof, his mind wandering.
OOC: Damen trances: He only needs 4 hours "rest" and is fully aware of surroundings during that time. So he's always on watch.

Darksteed

First Post
*Kauldron sits upon his pill of hay eating his stew, hungrily.*

I shall take the middle watch with whomever else wishes to be watching at that point in time.

*He nods and looks around at the others. Then goes back to eating.*

[sblock=OOC]Kauldron has poor perception as well. Though has Low-Light Vision. Plus having a defender on each shift, since there are three of us, might be a plus.[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
OOC: Sigh. This is starting to sound like a logic puzzle. X does not want to go on watch with someone who has no nightvision. Y wants to take the middle watch. Z wants to watch with a defender...

I suggest: Tarkus/Phoenix first, Kaeysari/Papolstaanas second, Cyr/Kauldron third. Distributes the low-light vision around, pairs the least perceptive people with the most perceptive people.

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Damen]
It is around six hours after sunset, you are watching the area from your hidden perch. You see a pair of figures moving in the darkness, walking the path by the light of the stars only, and you see one is Shamus, the other, an elderly man with a walking stick, which he leans heavily on. He coughs as the speak, seeming in generally poor health.

As they get closer you can make out some of what they're saying.

Shamus: "They're inside....settling in..."
Elder: "Too many...no more than four...."
Shamus: "Just think....more benefit this way..."
Elder: "Very well....now let the others know..."
Shamus: "Of course.... we'll be ready..."
Elder: "You'd better be...now let's begin...this....fun..."

They speak as the elder reaches the barn, on the opposite side as the entrance, he reaches up and opens something, pulling a lever down and you hear a loud grinding sound, following by loud crashing and likely some shouts of surprise from inside the barn. Shamus has since left to the home he identified as his. After doing this, the Elder joins Shamus at the other's home.

[sblock=If you look into the barn]
You see your allies disappearing into a large chute, funneled there by some rather elaborate trap, sending them (and the contents of the barn) all down into darkness.
[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Other PC's]
You are either resting or on watch when suddenly you hear a loud grinding sound. First the floor to the hayloft collapses, sending timber, hay, and heroes to the barn floor. Then, less than a second later, the floor gives way, the central support beams sinking into the ground as well. A huge hole appears where the floor used to be. You are tumbling down a chute, along with Bessie, the other 3 cattle, hay, farm implements, each other and your gear. Darkness overwhelms you as the slide descends deep into the earth, the sides of the metal chute are slick and steep, offering no handholds or other way to slow yourselves. After what seems like an eternity you feel the angle of the slide become less steep and you are dumped out onto a soft substance. The sudden brightness of the area blinds you for a moment and the intense heat nearly overwhelms you.

Sitting up and blinking out the sun you feel the coarseness of sand underneath your forms and see that somehow, some way, you are sitting in a desert. The oppressive sun beats down on you as the cows lie motionless on the ground, even poor Bessie, who had a pitchfork impale her ribcage. Phoenix and Kaeysari manage to avoid the worst of the other debris, but the rest all suffer bruises, scrapes, and even a few more serious lacerations from the implements, lumber, and even the cattle.

[sblock=Debris Attack]
vs ref (kaey, papo, kauldron, cyr, phoenix, tarkus) (1d20+10=13, 1d20+10=18, 1d20+10=18, 1d20+10=21, 1d20+10=17, 1d20+10=14) Debris hits Papo, Kauldron, cyr, and Tarkus for damage (2d10+6=18) 18 damage as the various debris slams into you.
[/sblock]
Sahara01.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

[sblock=Damen]A few things:
- Is the "trap" still open after they leave?
- Anyone else I can see out?

Current plan is to try to use Thievery to lock the trap in place (so it can't be closed). Second, to get at those Rat Bastards and find out what's going on.

Way to split the party. ;)[/sblock]

stonegod

Silently cursing the "farmer's" deception, Damon climbs down the outside of the barn and takes a moment to examine the lever. He takes a few pieced of detritus scattered about and uses them to jam the machinery the best he could without making too much noise. This thing was not going to close before he rescued the lovely Phoenix. And the others too.

Stealthily padding in the shadows across to "Shamus'" home, he moved up to a window or door to listen. They would pay, but he had to make sure they were busy...

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Phoenix is traced with flickers of flame as she slowly scans the desert, her weapons held ready.

"Either we are in an elaborate illusion or we passed through some sort of portal amidst the chaos of the fall."

OOC: Insight to pierce a potential illusion: 1d20+8=20

Arcana to check to see if we passed through portal (or also to pierce the illusion, if applicable): 1d20+12=16

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Damen]
The drow sneaks closer, after having expertly locked the trap door in an open position. Peeking in you see the elder looking into a crystal ball, the size of a grapefruit, he is opposite the window that you peer into. In the ball you see you allies, they are sitting on a pile of sand, perhaps a sand dune? There is debris littering the area, the remnants of the barn's interior, as well as a few cattle bodies. Shamus is leaning against the wall to the right, chewing a fingernail nervously as the elder appears angry at something.

You hear him say "Where is the drow? You were supposed to make sure they were all inside the barn you idiot! Gods, I can't keep an eye on them if I need to go out and find him", Shamus looks at the ground, scuffing his feet.

"You want I should round up the boys and go look for him?" Shamus replies gingerly.

"Let's just make sure our friends here get themselves acquainted first" the elder replies with a wicked grin, as he turns his attention to the orb again. [/sblock]

[sblock=Phoenix]
You detect no illusions and you did not detect any portals. [/sblock]

Remove ads