• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a non singing Bard

emanresu

First Post
Very few of our players have ever been interested in the Bard, specifically because the "singing aspect" has been viewed as corny. So we have adapted a couple of variants. 1st 1 player made a Jester. Nothing changed it was just role played as a Jester not the smooth talking socialite role norm to the Bard. We have since seen a Jester class creation in some splat book. 2nd was a "story teller" or master "wordsmith" this variant was inspired by the passing of a friends renaissance faire friend named the Micheal Wordsmith (RIP). The class didn't change at all again it was just a charismatic public speaker, a poet, telling stories instead of singing.

Has anyone else done something/anything similar? or is this some sort of dnd blasphemy?

Eman

Did bards prior to 3e ever sing in combat? I doubt it's blasphemy.

Music would seem less corny if it was "songs of destruction" or something similar. I could picture military officer-style inspirational speeches (although I'm pretty sure officers don't do that during combat). People rarely laughed at Commander Sisko's speeches.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is a fairly common change to make - so long as the Bard's performance is audible in nature, it doesn't really matter whether it is singing, spoken word, drumming, wind instrument, or what have you.

Starfox

Hero
Non-singing bards have been core since 3.0 - any perform skill will do, and comedy and oratory are perform skills. So you can be a pratfall bard if you like. I had a very good time with a bart who constantly had to pull bad puns - the whole game table helped me come up with those.

Celebrim

Legend
The culture that spawned the concept of the Bard is almost unrecognizable to a modern viewer and requires a signficant shift in how you think about music. The modern American culture is one of the least musical cultures that has ever existed, not in that we don't like to listen to music, but we find it odd to participate in making music. Singing and dancing is something that performers do and is not something that is considered particularly masculine. It's certainly not something we think leaders do. We think leaders listen in silence and are entertained by music. D&D does itself no favors in portraying the bard typically as a sort of roguish dandy, rather than as the mystical warrior priest and battle leader that is the origin of the concept of the D&D bard.

To get back to that concept, you have to embrace the Northern European notion of music as being intimately tied to martial prowess that is almost extinct except in the bagpipes of Scotland.

"Théoden seized a great horn ... and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains...

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor

the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them.

...And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

Theoden embraces his role as battle captain by making music. This is Theoden displaying Bardic power. Note how Tolkien sets apart and italicizes what Thedoen king says. He sounds a note on his horn, and he doesn't merely shout out the words, he poeticly sings out: "Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!" And what is the result? Theoden himself is filled with battle magic, and a rage that makes him like he was young again, and he becomes a visige of righteous power and and the light of good. And the whole host takes up his theme, and - probably lead by the battle captains - begins to sing a slaying song, a war song, to the death of their enemies.

There is nothing at all ridiculous or corny in this scene. You just have to accept that music itself isn't ridiculous and corny. You have to believe as the Gauls of old believed, that it is entirely proper and powerful to sing during battle.

Another example of the origins of the Bard is in the Kalevala, where the heroes make magic by singing. When another character in the story submits, they do so by confessing that the other is a stronger singer than they are. Väinämöinen notably knows a song that causes his foe to sink bodily into the ground. In this origin, which was also very influential on Tolkien, we see other echoes in The Lord of the Rings in the character of Tom Bombadil.

Tom arrives to help the Hobbits anouncing to the world his skill at singing:

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

He then sings a song of banishment to prove it:

Get out, you old wight! Vanish in the sunlight!
Shrivel like the cold mist, like the winds go wailing,
Out into the barren lands far beyond the mountains!
Come never here again! Leave your barrow empty!
Lost and forgotten be, darker than the darkness,
Where gates stand for ever shut, till the world is mended.

The big problem with playing a Bard is that to pull it off well so that you don't come off as corny, you actually have to be able to improvise like that. Otherwise, no one is going to be able to imagine what you are doing that isn't corny.

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Awesome post, [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]!

Just some military music trivia.

March music as we think of it is actually a pretty recent thing, with its origins in Turkish battle music.

Swedish armies in the 30 years war and Great Nordic War sang psalms in battle - the hero-king Gustavus Adolphus personally wrote a bunch of psalms.

The bagpipe was once a common instrument in most parts of Europe - simply because it was capable of generating such a great amount of noise. It was later supplanted by the fiddle, then the accordion, and then by the electric guitar. I think the modern bagpipe is a lot more complex than the one that was replaced by the fiddle.

Dandu

First Post
Very few of our players have ever been interested in the Bard, specifically because the "singing aspect" has been viewed as corny. So we have adapted a couple of variants. 1st 1 player made a Jester. Nothing changed it was just role played as a Jester not the smooth talking socialite role norm to the Bard. We have since seen a Jester class creation in some splat book. 2nd was a "story teller" or master "wordsmith" this variant was inspired by the passing of a friends renaissance faire friend named the Micheal Wordsmith (RIP). The class didn't change at all again it was just a charismatic public speaker, a poet, telling stories instead of singing.

Has anyone else done something/anything similar? or is this some sort of dnd blasphemy?

Eman

I got around the goofiness aspect by making a music track to play when my bard is singing. Songs include:

The Minstrel Boy (Version from Black Hawk Down)

Green Grassy Slopes of the Boyne

Clare's Dragoons

Scotland the Brave

Bonnie Charlie

Over the Hills and Far Away (From the TV series Sharpe)

British Grenadiers

Rule Britannia

Stand to Your Glasses Steady

War Pigs

One Shot at Glory

The Trooper

Architecture of Aggression

Gears of War

War?

Last edited:

emanresu

First Post
Celebrim, hats off wonderful post!
Dandu, hat tip, gotta love the ole Black Sabbath, I'm going Sat to see them live at the Hollywood Bowl! My 2nd and last, probably last, Ozzy concert.

I think, and I could be mistaken, that Northern Euros/Viking would have stories passed on by "bardlike" story telling historians. I also believe American Indian tribes, similarly, had fire side history / storytime, by wisemen.

Eman

Starfox

Hero
I think, and I could be mistaken, that Northern Euros/Viking would have stories passed on by "bardlike" story telling historians. I also believe American Indian tribes, similarly, had fire side history / storytime, by wisemen.

Eman

Before TV, everyone told fireside stories, or read aloud. That's how culture was transferred from generation to generation. Most of the ancient epics was conveyed this way long before they were written down. Traveling storytellers, who know these tales, were cultural icons. But this is different from performances in battle.

Walking around in a quiet residential district at night, you see the flickering light of TV screens in the windows. Like a cold version of the old firelight where stories were told.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Pathfinder offers archetypes for bard that aren't singer/musicians, some that aren't even entertainers (visit d20pfsrd.com to learn of these archetypes and their altered abilities): Archaeologist - think "Indiana Jones", Detective (coordinated searches), Geisha (seductress), Street Performer (pulls pranks on audience members), etc. Not that you have to play Pathfinder, but you can certainly get ideas on themes for a bard, that doesn't fit 'typical bard' and still be very appropos to the class.

Remove ads