• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a non singing Bard

emanresu

First Post
I've gamed for 30+ yrs and can say safely less than 5 Bards have ever been played out of thousands of pcs, dozens of gaming groups. Without fail everybody says they're to gimped as far as spells progression and walking around with a musical instrument just seems so cumbersome for a adventuring party.

I have read a lot of people on web sites enjoying the class, some even claiming its 1 of, if not their fav.

I like the Beguiler better, although now Im looking at a few spells that both Beguiler and the Bard cast and the Bard gets the spell 1 level before anybody else. Looking at you Confusion.

Eman

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm one of those rare few Bard class devotees. :3

If you "dig around", you might be able to find a copy of the 2ed Bard's Handbook. This book (for me) was the go-to resource to learn about D&D Bards and their various incarnations outside of the standard singing Bard.

Also, a quick look at the Perform skill shows you what types of performances are available to your Bard:

• Act (comedy, drama, mime)
  • Comedy (buffoonery, limericks, joke-telling)
  • Dance (ballet, waltz, jig)
  • Keyboard instruments (harpsichord, piano, pipe organ)
  • Oratory (epic, ode, storytelling)
  • Percussion instruments (bells, chimes, drums, gong)
  • String instruments (fiddle, harp, lute, mandolin)
  • Wind instruments (flute, pan pipes, recorder, shawm, trumpet)
  • Sing (ballad, chant, melody)

emanresu

First Post
I just figured out that a Prestigious Bard does not gain access to the Bard Spell list and thusly denied access to those spells the traditional Bard had access to before other classes. For a Beguiler base class the Prestigious Bard just sings to me (yep IIII know). +2 Caster level with the whole Beguiler spell list, money money!! Is it worth the dip?
Just how important is +2 caster level anyways

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Personally I cannot see the attractive of a non-musical bard, (Which to me is the biggest sin of the 4e bard, not being musical enough). Music making is one of the things that I cannot do in real life, so playing a musical character doing awesome things through music is the thing that draws me to the class -call it shameless wish fulfillment I still enjoy it- and to me it isn't lame or anything like that, that is pure win.

Second the recommendation of the Complete book of Bards, that one is the definite source for Bard flavor.

emanresu

First Post
The singing IMO was kinda hokie for a class to be based off of. It should be a profession based on perform not a class. 2nd D&D is based off the adventurer climbing around mountains, crawling thru dungeons fighting big monsters. A guy with a musical instrument while nice at a campfire doesn't fit with the others.

What does come to mind is brave Sir Robin and his musical entourage.

Dandu

First Post
A guy with a musical instrument while nice at a campfire doesn't fit with the others.
I think he seems perfectly reasonable compared to the halfling wearing more leather than a BDSM fetishist and the man in the dress.

What does come to mind is brave Sir Robin and his musical entourage.
It is not the fault of the game if your mind is too small or imagination too limited.

Starfox

Hero
The singing IMO was kinda hokie for a class to be based off of. It should be a profession based on perform not a class.

Different takes for different folks. Check [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]'s post above for how awesome bards can be to others. My take is more inspired by Orpheus and other magical musicians that on Celtic war-madness, but it is still very inspiring.

If there is one thing the bard class lacks in 3E/3.5/Pathfinder it is options. All bards have the same bardic performances, which is a bit dull. But the idea that music is magic is definitely a good one.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBPoRwog00

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I tried to play a bard whose schtick was rhyming insults. Everybody loved it when it worked and laughed twice as hard when my results were less than perfect.

Unfortunately, the DM got tired of his monsters and villains being ineffectual, so by level three they only failed their saving throws on a one or a two. I quit playing the bard. :.-(

I just figured out that a Prestigious Bard does not gain access to the Bard Spell list and thusly denied access to those spells the traditional Bard had access to before other classes. For a Beguiler base class the Prestigious Bard just sings to me (yep IIII know). +2 Caster level with the whole Beguiler spell list, money money!! Is it worth the dip?
Just how important is +2 caster level anyways

Check the pages about prestigious bards and such again. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm has the "Unique Spells" section shown clearer, but it's also there in Unearthed Arcana on the bottom of page 71. Unless the DM is being a [insert favorite insult here] the prestige versions of those classes do get their proper spell access. The full text is:

[h=4]Unique Spells[/h] The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists contain a number of spells that don't appear on other classes' spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class. At the game master's discretion, spells unique to that class's spell list found in other books may also be available, but on a case by case basis. The game master may require such spells to be researched or learned specifically by the character, rather than simply making them freely available.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads