• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Paladin Shows Mercy to a Priestess of Orcus?

domino

First Post
Were I the paladin, one of the first things I'd do is tell her to stop praying to Orcus. At that point, she may loose her spells, but he's ORCUS. That right there is an evil act on a regular basis.

BSF

Explorer
Now what? Well, a priestess of Orcus was afraid of dying. No more spells for the priestess. If she wants spells, off the paladin. Otherwise, she will soon die and she can have an audience with Orcus to discuss her 'future'.

From the Paladin's perspective, it sounds like the player was a little off guard with the wording of her 'mercy'. That's a good thing though. Not every single event will be executed flawlessly in campaign. But what are the Paladin's intentions? If there is a legitimate attempt to redeem the cleric, than I would play forward with it.

There is some tremendous potential for roleplaying here. Unless it really isn't something you are interested in, grab it with both hands and run with it. The priestess will only be able to function as a tough sandbag without spells. The PCs will need to protect her to some degree. They will need to show that compassion, mercy and trust are not weaknesses. Rather they are strengths. If the priestess benefits from the compassion of the PCs, perhaps she will see the error of her past and seek to atone. Perhaps she will later end up as a vehement combatant of evil herself? Perhaps she will wander the lands speaking out against the path of evil? If the players handle it well, you might end up with a brand new campaign event.

I would love to see something like this in one of my own games.

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
Ravlek said:
A paladin who gives shelter/harbors a known 'felon' isn't acting honorably. There is always two sides to every coin. :)
I wouldn't call forcing a woman who begged for mercy to serve the side of righteousness harboring and sheltering.

I also wouldn't call that associating really. Especially if we look at the definition that says to associate means to join as a partner, ally or friend. The priestus is doing none of that. Instead she is being forced to join as terms of her clemency.

I don't think it is as if the Paladin will all of a sudden give the priestess a say in what course the group should take, or a share of the treasure which one would do to an ally, partner, or friend.

Rather the Paladin is punishing an evil character by making the priestess serve good and righteousness. The paladin may be hoping it rehabilitates the character as well.

I wouldn't call it an association to say follow these rules or you die. It is closer to the paladin imprisoning the priestess. It may be a mistake because once her spells are replentished all hell might bust loose. But I wouldn't call it an association that goes against the Paladin's code.

Ravlek

First Post
Vonlok The Bold said:
I wouldn't call forcing a woman who begged for mercy to serve the side of righteousness harboring and sheltering.

I also wouldn't call that associating really. Especially if we look at the definition that says to associate means to join as a partner, ally or friend. The priestus is doing none of that. Instead she is being forced to join as terms of her clemency.

I don't think it is as if the Paladin will all of a sudden give the priestess a say in what course the group should take, or a share of the treasure which one would do to an ally, partner, or friend.

Rather the Paladin is punishing an evil character by making the priestess serve good and righteousness. The paladin may be hoping it rehabilitates the character as well.

I wouldn't call it an association to say follow these rules or you die. It is closer to the paladin imprisoning the priestess. It may be a mistake because once her spells are replentished all hell might bust loose. But I wouldn't call it an association that goes against the Paladin's code.

What you or I call it is irrelevant. The DM running the campaign makes that ruling, based on his/her campaign. If the DM rules that's how the 'law' views it, then that is how they view it. It will vary, two sides to the coin. As I stated earlier, I can see it going both ways.

Once again from the SRD;

"Associates: While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good."

The RAW gives a guideline for what is and isn't an associate. If the person is actively adventuring with the paladin, they are an associate. If the person is 'tanking' or casting spells for the party, I would rule it qualifies as associating. YDMMV. From Shark's initial post;
"Bronwyn grants her mercy, and demands as part of the bargain, the beautiful priestess must serve her and her party with the utmost loyalty and devotion, until she says otherwise, as her life is otherwise forfeit for her defeat at her hands.

The cleric of Orcus agrees, reluctantly. Bronwyn makes her swear to serve her loyally. Any treachery will bring her swift death by her sword. Bronwyn used her Sense Motive, and Drusilla seemed quite sincere."
That leads me to think that she is/will qualify as an associate. If that is not the case, then she isn't an associate, we really don't know yet.

I really hope Shark gives us an update on how all this turns out. :( ? :) ?

Edit: There really isn't any wrong or right answers to some of these questions/issues. It will vary.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I think it could be an interesting campaign development for the priestess to lose her powers from Orcus and subsequently turn towards good.

Uhm no. If you're a TRUE devotee to Orcus, you should have TRIED to kill the paladin. At least then you might be able to work your way back up the infernal ranks.

Now all she's got left is a very slow and painful death. Believe me Orcus doesn't forgive or forget ANY slight.

BardSF,

You are so right. It's not like changing your mind about being a cleric to being a paladin. This is "I sold my soul to a great and powerful Demon prince...and now I decide I'm a pussy and turn towards good...even though my soul is already damned." Stupid woman. :p

sword-dancer

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Uhm no. If you're a TRUE devotee to Orcus, you should have TRIED to kill the paladin. At least then you might be able to work your way back up the infernal ranks.
I consider true devotee toOrcus a paradox in terms.

OTOH Souls maybe sold, but those pacts could be broken.

Nightfall said:

Now all she's got left is a very slow and painful death. Believe me Orcus doesn't forgive or forget ANY slight.

Um, that's your interpretation. Others may vary.

She might not have been that devoted a follower to begin with. Perhaps Orcus had plans for her and this recent development gets in the way. Orcus is just another god - the paladin's deity could be even more powerful. So, in short, whether or not the priestess survives is up to the players and the DM - not some unwritten rule that Orcus is all-powerful and can do whatever he wants blah blah blah...

edit: hey, even better, maybe Orcus starts sending his minions for payback! Easy killins' for the paladin and a potentially converted ex-priestess of Orcus! Why chase evil when it comes to you!

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
sword-dancer said:
I consider true devotee toOrcus a paradox in terms.

And being a true devotee to say Bane or Shar isn't? Come on it's ORCUS for crying out loud!

Domino,

I'd ask the same thing too.

Org,

If you've read much of Orcus, you know he doesn't choose on a whim. You gotta PROVE yourself truly evil, chaotic and vile to even get a notice. He's got a lot on his plate. So granting spells on whim isn't his style.

And not sure about EASY killing but I'm sure some minions via Orcus' non-reserves will be gunning for the traitor. Last I check, Orcus doesn't like betrayers that much.

Remove ads