• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Potential Earthquake in the Videogame Industry: UNITY Install Fees

Another scary thought: The threshold for getting charged by Unity is actually much lower than it seems at first glance. A lot of people have multiple devices. Desktop, laptop, phone, Steam Deck, console. Multiple installs per customer upfront, and then they have devices they change over to in the near future.

Fees could potentially outpace net income much faster than most would want to imagine.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Another scary thought: The threshold for getting charged by Unity is actually much lower than it seems at first glance. A lot of people have multiple devices. Desktop, laptop, phone, Steam Deck, console. Multiple installs per customer upfront, and then they have devices they change over to in the near future.

Fees could potentially outpace net income much faster than most would want to imagine.
I have MTG Arena on my PC and two android devices. I've also been meaning to install it on my deck. That's four installs for myself alone. And seeing the site with the R, it is not uncommon for people who use layering apps to have to do a clean reinstall each time there is a major update (And there's like eleven/twelve of these per year)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have MTG Arena on my PC and two android devices. I've also been meaning to install it on my deck. That's four installs for myself alone. And seeing the site with the R, it is not uncommon for people who use layering apps to have to do a clean reinstall each time there is a major update (And there's like eleven/twelve of these per year)
Which is one thing for WotC, but a whole other kettle of fish for a small one or two person team trying to get their team out there. The Aming US developers estimat3d that it would be cheaper to hire two full time employees to port the game out of Unity to some other engine than pay the fee.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Last edited:

"As a unity employee until this morning, I assure you we fought like hell against this, brought up all the points everyone has, were told answers were coming, and then the announcement went out without warning. Those of us who care are out -- more resignations coming end of week." (link to the tweet)

Going to be an interesting next week as people start airing everything. That said, apparently Unity is going around offering 100% fee waivers if app makers sign up for Unity's own ad service. Which, if that was their end goal, they could have accomplished with much less nuking of their own brand.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
their astonishment and surprise rings a little hollow. Unity's management isn't that out of touch; they've been on the Internet long enough to know that there would be swift and severe backlash.
"As a unity employee until this morning, I assure you we fought like hell against this, brought up all the points everyone has, were told answers were coming, and then the announcement went out without warning. Those of us who care are out -- more resignations coming end of week." (link to the tweet)
Well, I stand corrected.

That said, apparently Unity is going around offering 100% fee waivers if app makers sign up for Unity's own ad service.
Oh goodie, a coupon for free commercials.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
This quote sounds somewhat familiar:

"Garry Newman, creator of Garry's Mod and the Unity-based Rust, also announced Wednesday that "Rust 2 definitely won't be a Unity game," because "Unity has shown its power. We can see what they can and are willing to do. You can't un-ring that bell... The trust is gone."

I can't help but stand aghast at these types of decisions. You spend tons of capital to build your brand, then decide to burn it in an instant because someone showed you a spreadsheet with outrageous profits if you just do this "one simple trick."

Remove ads