• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A (probly repeatedly asked) question about Mithral...

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Under 3.5 (and 3e I wouldn't doubt), does Mithral make medium armor considered light for the purpose of proficiency? or just for movement and other limitations? I'm thinking not, but I just wanna be sure.

Like I said, I'm sure this has come up plenty of times, I prolly just ain't caught one of the threads about it.

Magic Slim

First Post
SRD 3.5 said:
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations

IMO, it doesn't change the proficiency needed to wear the armor in question...

Slim

TyCage

First Post
Magic Slim said:
IMO, it doesn't change the proficiency needed to wear the armor in question...

Slim

I'm not sure I agree with this.

SRD 3.5 said:
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations

Wouldn't the "other limitations" mentioned above include the needed proficiency?

I glanced throught the FAQs and couldn't find anything either way about it.

AGGEMAM

First Post
TyCage said:
Wouldn't the "other limitations" mentioned above include the needed proficiency?

No, that would be the feat and abilities not useable in one category of armor but usable in a lighter category.

TyCage

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
No, that would be the feat and abilities not useable in one category of armor but usable in a lighter category.

Let me try again. I'm not trying to be troublesome, I just don't understand.

One of the limitations of medium armor is that you must have the medium armor proficiency in order to avoid the extra penalties on skills. If I treat the armor as one category lighter, then that limitation should switch to light armor proficiency.

I guess I'm missing why the proficiency requirement isn't considered a limitation of the armor?

Why would a rouge suddenly be able to tumble in the armor, but still have a penalty to his disable device check?

(Edit just fixed punctuation.)

Last edited:

TyCage

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Yes, and a penalty on his tumble check btw.

I missed my ? at the end of my question, I'll go back and fix that.

I was asking why he would be able to tumble (which he couldn't do without the armor being mithral), but still gets the penalties to skill checks that lack of proficiency cause (ride,disable device, open lock, etc).

He'll get the tumble penalties because all armor with an armor check penalty gives the tumble penalties, regardless of proficiency.

I'm not looking for a yes or no answer here. I'm looking for the reasoning.

Thanks!

AGGEMAM

First Post
I'm not really in the position to give a long-winded reason other than what the rules say.

The armor doesn't change type by being mithral but it does become lighter (in weight) and encumberance (how it handles).

Armor Check Penalty: Anything heavier than leather hurts your ability to use some of your skills.

(Quote from PHB/Equipment section, not from the SRD)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads