• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question about creating new races...

Kularian

First Post
What would be a good 'middle of the road' race to use as a model? I've heard things from poking around on the board that Half-Orcs are at the low end, and dwarves at the high end. Out of the seven, which would make a good basis for crafting other races? Just wondering...

Vuron

First Post
Kularian said:
What would be a good 'middle of the road' race to use as a model? I've heard things from poking around on the board that Half-Orcs are at the low end, and dwarves at the high end. Out of the seven, which would make a good basis for crafting other races? Just wondering...

In my experience it's kinda hard to break out all the special abilities of races like dwarves and elves and determine their relative value (what example is stonecunning the equivalent of).

As a result it's generally best to take the three simple core races: Human, Half-Elf and Half-Orc and build based on them.

One thing to keep in mind though that positive modifiers to mental stats shouldn't show up until +1 LA races as they tend to make overpowering spellcasters.

Kularian

First Post
Sounds good. I was thinking about using humans and half-elves mainly, and just referencing the others for stat adjustments. We'll see what happens when I'm done, and I'll probably put it in the House Rules for any critiques and such...

Thanks!

Remove ads