• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Question Concerning Erythnul, God of Slaughter

MancerBear

First Post
G'day Guys,

Just a bit of background first. I'm running an adventure where a human has been possessed by the spirit of a god based very strongly on Eruthnul, and I was wondering if anybody there had an idea of what Erythnul (or his avatar's) abilities would be? I know that Dragon 71 had listed down Erythnul in standard D & D stats, so I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea on those abilites? I don't want things like full stats and the like, though his Int, Wis and Cha would be useful, as well as his class levels and any special abilities/powers.

Once more, the woman has been possessed by the spirit of god similar to Erythnul, god of slaughter. In my campaign, this god is really an Outsider, and not a god at all (think of him more as a demon, than a god), though I would prefer him to have stats as close to the "god" Erythnul as possible (if that is possible and I get a positive responce from someone). This god has had his spirit trapped in a black stone, known as the "Heart of Darkness", while his body is trapped far to the north, in the frozen glaciers of the Pagan Mountains. The woman, possessed by the spirit of the god (similar to a magic jar spell) will be doing her best to try and find the god's body to reunite the mind and body, freeing the god and allowing him to rampage across the lands once more.

thanks in advance guys.

Eryndur

Explorer
From the Ashes

I'm not sure, but I believe the 2e Greyhawk boxed set "From the Ashes" had stats for the major gods' avatars. That set goes for top dollar on ebay, though, so if you don't already own it, you may be out of luck.

On the other hand, I DO own it, and I will check it out tonight, and post his stats for you if indeed they can be found.

Eryndur

MancerBear

First Post
Re: From the Ashes

Eryndur said:
On the other hand, I DO own it, and I will check it out tonight, and post his stats for you if indeed they can be found.

Eryndur, you are a godsend. Thanks very much for your effort. I'll await your return reply.

MancerBear

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I've checked all of my Greyhawk books and even searched online. It doesn't look like Erythnul's avatar is described anywhere. Even in some of the products where other god's avatars are detailed, Erythnul is left out.

The only thing that I was able to find is that Erythnul can take the form of a human, bugbear, troll, ogre, or gnoll at will, and carries a large, stone mace. If he's wounded, monsters spring forth from his blood. He is depicted a seven-foot brute, hairy and red-faced, with mad, staring green eyes. This was all taken from "From the Ashes".

Anybody else have any luck?

(Sorry to steal your thunder, Eryndur... :) )

MancerBear

First Post
Lady Dragon said:
Be patient Deities and demigods will be out in a few weeks I bet he will be in there.

I wish I could, Lady Dragon, but my players will be facing the possessed woman on the 6th of April, which is why I have the urgency to get as much information on Erythnul as possible in the next week :)

Thanks for the reply though.

Eryndur

Explorer
Thunder? What thunder?

I've checked all of my Greyhawk books and even searched online. It doesn't look like Erythnul's avatar is described anywhere. Even in some of the products where other god's avatars are detailed, Erythnul is left out.

Oops. Looks like Rogue beat me to the punch, with negative results. Strange that Erythnul doesn't have any stats in any published material.

I'll tell you what, though. If you have the new Dragon, check the LG journal, with full stats for some of GH gods. You could probably substitute Iuz or (if you wanted to be REALLY nasty) Tharizdun for Erythnul.

Eryndur

MancerBear

First Post
Re: Thunder? What thunder?

Eryndur said:

I'll tell you what, though. If you have the new Dragon, check the LG journal, with full stats for some of GH gods. You could probably substitute Iuz or (if you wanted to be REALLY nasty) Tharizdun for Erythnul.

Eryndur

That's not a bad idea Eryndur. I was actually going to use the (very old) stats for Ares, greek god of war, but I may have a look at Tharizdun, or Iuz and do a combination. Now all I need is stats for those two gods :D

Thanks for all the input here guys, I much appreciate it, and it was far more useful than the "help" I got from the WotC boards.

MancerBear

Killer Shrike

First Post
If you need it and want 2e stats for a base, just use the stats for Hruggrek from Monster Mythology; Erythnul and Hruggrek are practically the same.

All that aside, why in the world would your PCs be fighting a god? Just give the possessed vessel of the entities soul some appropriate abilities and avoid direct confrontation with the party.

IMO, diety level opponents are silly; if your PCs are powerful enough to take on a diety they should retire or leave the Material Plane because they are too powerful. Gods should be beyond physical confrontation. Avatars might be sent, but what do you do if the PCs triumph? Youre stuck in bigger hammer mode. If they fail, its time for new PCs.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Here's the 1E stats from the original World of Greyhawk boxed set:
Mancer Bear,

AC: -3 MV: 18" Hit points: 320 MR: 75%
Str 22 Int 16 Wis 16 Dex 19 Con 22 Cha -4
Fighter 15 Cleric 5

When wounded he "bleeds" the following creatures:

1. 5d20 human Ftr1
2. 4d4 gnolls
3. 3d4 bugbears
4. 2d4 ogres
5. 1d4 trolls

He fights with a stone-headed mace that causes fear when it hits and 1d10 damage.

And that's about it.... :)

Cheers
NPP

Remove ads