• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Question of base attack

Cevalic

First Post
I've been looking over the quick start rules from KoTS and the info on this site and have a couple questions. Does everyone have the same base attack and saves? Couldnt find anything about it that I noticed. Doesnt seem right that theyd all be the same. I know that theyre determined to make a game where everyone is equal, but for a wizard to have the same base attack as a fighter, I think things are going a little off. I did notice that at level 3 a fighter only has 12 more hit points. Thats something that makes me a little leary that everything is just too much of the same. Thanks in advance.

Nadaka

First Post
well in 3.x a 3rd level fighter would only have 12 more HP than a wizard given the same con score.

As for the rest, I have heard but can not confirm that everyone does indeed have the same saves and BAB. And it does seem counter intuitive, the difference is supposed to be in the special abilities.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Yes, everyone has the same saves and BAB. However, different classes have different bonuses to BAB and saves, such that the Fighter still is better at attack rolls than a Wizard.

Gargazon

First Post
Cevalic said:
I've been looking over the quick start rules from KoTS and the info on this site and have a couple questions. Does everyone have the same base attack and saves? Couldnt find anything about it that I noticed. Doesnt seem right that theyd all be the same. I know that theyre determined to make a game where everyone is equal, but for a wizard to have the same base attack as a fighter, I think things are going a little off. I did notice that at level 3 a fighter only has 12 more hit points. Thats something that makes me a little leary that everything is just too much of the same. Thanks in advance.

I don't get it... why should the wizard's attack rolls with his spells be inferior to the Fighter's attack rolls with his weapon?

Mort_Q

First Post
BAB is character level dependent, not class dependent. That said, bonuses to hit are in some cases worked into the characters powers directly.

That is, a fighter power might be STR +5 vs AC., whereas a wizard power might be straight INT vs REF.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
but not much better, they're using a difference range of 2 from what I've seen. Which is essentially a base difference of 10% when you consider d20 rolling mechanics. And They're doing something odd with weapons affecting attack bonus that probably will take the full book to fully clarify.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Don't worry. Ability score allocations for powers important to the class means you will have wizards with poor basic melee attacks, clerics with poor reflex defenses and paladins with poor basic ranged attacks.

Stalker0

Legend
Well if you factor in the fringe benefits fighters do have a bigger attack.

First, fighters get an innate (I'm so cool because I'm a fighter) +1 to attack rolls. We aren't sure if that's with a specific weapon type or just straight up.

Then, being proficient in a weapon gives you more attack bonuses. For example, wielding a dagger gives you a +3 attack bonus. So that would be +4 to attack bonus right there.

Gargazon said:
I don't get it... why should the wizard's attack rolls with his spells be inferior to the Fighter's attack rolls with his weapon?

But doesn't he use his same "BAB" with crossbows? (In case he runs into something magic immune?) Well, I guess it's not such a big deal, seeing how wizards will probably have low Dex now (and use Int for spell "attack rolls").

The base figures are the same. Fighters get a +1 bonus to their attack rolls. This means a fighter will hardly ever fight better than a rogue. Then again, with the fighter's great hit points, that's probably not such a bad deal.

Remove ads