• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A question to those that give the expertise feat for free

Tarrl

First Post
How do most DM's go about giving it? Do you allow PCs to take the feat for whatever weapons they use? Is there an easier way to accomplish this?
Sorry if my question is not clear. Was not sure how to word it correctly.

Thanks!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Our group goes into Character Builder for each PC, uses the House Rules button on the Feat screen to add a feat, and then just add it for each Weapon type and/or Implement type that the PC uses. It then automatically picks up the changes for all of their powers. It only has to be done once and then the PC is good to go for all future levels.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
In Piratecat's game, he simply reduces all monster defenses by one. At least he tells us that's what he's doing. :devil:

That has two main advantages:

1. No CB workarounds or other character sheet adjustments are required.
2. It doesn't discourage improvisational attacks by putting them at an inherent -1 disadvantage.

Obryn

Hero
I have them add free Expertise feats in whatever combination they need.

Then, I tell them to add +X to all of their non-weapon/non-implement powers.

It works out!

-O

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In Piratecat's game, he simply reduces all monster defenses by one. At least he tells us that's what he's doing. :devil:

1. No CB workarounds or other character sheet adjustments are required.
2. It doesn't discourage improvisational attacks by putting them at an inherent -1 disadvantage.

This is my method.

Aulirophile

First Post
Since I print out custom power cards that have a blank box, players just add 1 at level 5, 2 at level 15, 3 at 25. Pretty simple. Also applies to racials (like Dragonbeath) they haven't been changed yet to be 3/6/9.

Otterscrubber

First Post
In the campaign we are running our DM only allows characters to get expertise if none of their starting ability scores at lvl 1 are above a 16 (after racial adjustments). We have found that we hit just fine as is, but in an effort to throw a bone to our players who like to play a more well rounded character who does not max out their prime stat, then they can get expertise if they choose. Anyone else goes without it. It seems to be working well.

KarinsDad

Adventurer

It also has the disadvantage of having yet one more modifier that has to be remembered and handled every round. It's possible that PC prints out the monster sheets after modifying them, but Compendium images and books are typically images, not sheets that can be modified.

Much easier to do it in CB once and then never have to ever worry about it again.

Ferghis

First Post
Isn't there a place in the Character Builder for inherent bonuses? Would there be a downside to doing it that way?

Inherent bonuses is an optional rule shifts the bonus normally granted by some magic items (weapon, implement, armor, and neck slot items) to the character, so the character doesn't have to rely on the item to gain that bonus. The items that formerly granted this bonus no longer do, obviously.

Personally, I like the inherent bonuses rule a lot. I think it's weird for a high level character to suddenly become considerably weaker without his super magic doo-hicky. More relevant to this thread, I would encourage DMs to use the intrinsic bonuses rule, and then grant very rare items that do give another bonus that is used in addition to the intrinsic bonuses to replace the expertise feat. This would make high level enemies a bit tougher, unless one has that super secret item. I do recognize that this is entirely a personal preference, though.

Shouldn't this thread be in the houserules section?

Remove ads