• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A simple, brilliant fix for the Monk

Stalker0

Legend
I also like the idea, but think your progression may be too aggressive.

How about +1 every 5 levels...2,7,12,17. That gives a nice array of bonuses but not too much. Keep in mind that even an additional +2 to a stat is a very nice bonus considering its nonmagical.

szilard

First Post
A suggestion: No two consecutive bonuses should go into the same ability.

A question: Is this just to be added to the monk, or is it replacing something?

-Stuart

jayaint

First Post
I asked this at the end of a dying thread awhile back, and figured I might shoot it out here, since we are talking monk-flavor.

Is there any mechanic that is not so unwieldy, that would grant a monk a +1 BAB with unarmed weapons at 1st level. I mean, if that's their schtick, then why aren't they receiving full progression for at least that? Not having the +1 also penalizes a STR-less monk (and lets face it, monks need a lot of stat pump) from taking Weapon Finesse at first level, or Intuitive Strike, etc..

Just curious if anyone here houseruled in a Fighter's BAB for Monk's unarmed attacks, and if it worked, didn't, etc.

Thanks.

jayaint said:
I asked this at the end of a dying thread awhile back, and figured I might shoot it out here, since we are talking monk-flavor.

Is there any mechanic that is not so unwieldy, that would grant a monk a +1 BAB with unarmed weapons at 1st level. I mean, if that's their schtick, then why aren't they receiving full progression for at least that? Not having the +1 also penalizes a STR-less monk (and lets face it, monks need a lot of stat pump) from taking Weapon Finesse at first level, or Intuitive Strike, etc..

Just curious if anyone here houseruled in a Fighter's BAB for Monk's unarmed attacks, and if it worked, didn't, etc.

Thanks.

I think that giving the Monk a full BAB would work fine, IFF you also reduced its unarmed damage progression. (Start with 1d4, go to 1d6 at 5th level, 1d8 at 10th, 1d10 at 15th and 1d12 at 20th or something like that, or have an evne slower progression and start with a higher base damage). The D20 Modern Martial Artists essentially does this.

I think that would make a fine way to making the Monk a bit more flexible. Still, it will force a good Strength (as a finesse Monk will have more trouble getting the damage, which is especially important in regards to damage reduction), so it might not actually be what you are asking for. :)
(The Damage Reduction problem could be countered if the Monk would get a ability like the Oathsworn which allows him to ignore a few points of hardness/DR - similar to the new Monk feat, Stone-Shattering Strike (?) from the PHB II)

wmasters

First Post
Tequila Sunrise said:
Uh, stupid question; why did you leave out 1st and 19th level?

Presumably 1st level because otherwise monk looks like a really good 1 level dip. And 19th because after 8 stat boosts, plus four for standard levels, you've had quite enough!

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
wmasters said:
Presumably 1st level because otherwise monk looks like a really good 1 level dip. And 19th because after 8 stat boosts, plus four for standard levels, you've had quite enough!

Ok, I buy the first level thing but what's so special about 8 stat boosts? If we're going to overpower the monk by giving free boosts, why stop with 8? Btw, are we giving the monk ability boosts at epic levels?

Imp

First Post
I'vw been thinking about stuff along these lines. What if you divided the bonuses into "mastery of body" (str, dex, con, something, something else) and "mastery of spirit" (wis, other attractive abilities) to force the player to spread things around a bit?

CrusaderX

First Post
Tyrion said:
---
Mastery of Self (Ex): The monk's training has allowed him to hone an aspect of himself to a higher level of functioning. This self-improvement can be physical, mental, or spiritual. Whenever this ability is gained, the monk may add a +1 Monk bonus to any ability score, or increase any existing Monk bonus by +1.

This ability is gained at the following levels: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17.
---

Does this replace the ability score bonuses at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 that all characters get? Or does it add to it?

I like this idea for ability scores only (and I like the name, too!), but my first reaction is that 13 ability score bonuses overall is too much.

And I'm not sure if I like this better than the "Ki Force" alternate rule that gives +1 to Hit and +1 to AC every 4 levels. I'll have to think about this one.

How about a toned down varient of rage? A Monk can burn use of Ki to gain a +2 to anyone stat for 3 rounds + CON bonus. Make it a +4 at 9th level and +6 at 17th level. Any rage altering feat would also affect this ability.

This feels monk like to me, since a Monk is all about finding perfection in any situation. This ability represents his ability to push himself that extra step when its needed.

Only usable once per encounter, and cannot stack with itself. It does not cause fatiuge since the abilty is not bases on being out of control and is somewhat weaker than rage.

Asmor

First Post
Two problems with this have been brought up frequently in this thread.

1: People dumping all their stat boosts into 1 ability might be overpowered.
2: Monks need all their abilities, so dumping all their stat boosts into 1 ability might be underpowered.

So problem number 1 wants us to force them to diversify, and problem number 2 wants us to force them to diversify.

My suggestion:

Perfection: At level 3 and every 3 levels therafter (6, 9, 12, 15, and 18) the monk may choose one of the following abilities. Each ability may only be chosen once.

Strength of the Bull: The monk permanently gains 2 points of strength.
Grace of the Cat: The monk permanently gains 2 points of dexterity.
Endurance of the Bear: The monk permanently gains 2 points of constitution.
Insight of the Dragon: The monk permanently gains 2 points of intelligence.
Wisdom of the Owl: The monk permanently gains 2 points of wisdom.
Confidence of the Serpent: The monk permanently gains 2 points of charisma.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads