• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Small Glance at PF2's Equip & Armour

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm sure it's part of PF2's "Make Weapons Great Again" approach. But I agree.
"Make Weapons Great Again" sounds cool, except, in the context of D&D, for the "Again" - how 'bout "Finally?" ;P

As long as you're adding the same level-based bonus to both attack rolls and AC (as in D&D 4E, for example), that minor +2 bonus from having a shield will remain relevant and meaningful indefinitely.
In PF2 you add your level plus proficiency (-2 if not proficient) to both attack and AC, so yes.
Interestingly, 5e didn't do that, while 4e & 13A did. So, hey, one way PF2 is /not/ turning into 5e. Slightly reassuring.

S

Sunseeker

"Make Weapons Great Again" sounds cool, except, in the context of D&D, for the "Again" - how 'bout "Finally?" ;P

I don't mind weapons having special properties, but I think it could probably be simplified down to "one special property per weapon".

ssvegeta555

Explorer
The runes remind me of the augment crystals from the Magic Item Compendium for 3.5. I think those crystals attach to a weapon and impart magical abilites. I can't remember if it gave +X or just special abilities like Flaming. Could be both. Been a while since I've read that. But those were some of my favorite things from the book. That flexibility is awesome. Glad to see PF2 doing something similar. :D

CapnZapp

Legend
The runes remind me of the augment crystals from the Magic Item Compendium for 3.5. I think those crystals attach to a weapon and impart magical abilites. I can't remember if it gave +X or just special abilities like Flaming. Could be both. Been a while since I've read that. But those were some of my favorite things from the book. That flexibility is awesome. Glad to see PF2 doing something similar. :D
Lots of things though not straight up plusses iirc.

Check out my bazaars thread for a 5E implementation of these augment crystals (since Port Nyanzaru is described as having an important jewelry market).

</off-topic>

Ps. Would have provided a direct link, but am writing this on mobile.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads