A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I see--I guess that's what you meant in euphemism when you said they 'know little music'. I continue to work to understand the metaphors and idioms of this land, though it seems to come easier to me now that I have attuned myself to my own ziivash flow through the jewel of your land in this circlet I wear."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Jilsa thinks a long time about Lasair's question. When Conuld laughs and apologizes, she barely even notices, but gives him a half-hearted smile to let him know she's not offended. Finally, after much internal deliberation, she responds, "
If it were my tribe, they would bind the bandits, take their property, and toss them all into the river to drown. There is no forgiveness among our people for thieves and murderers
."
She pauses, uncomfortable. "
If it were me, though, I like to think that I would be forgiving, if the motivation was need, not greed. And I... I think I would demand all of the attackers' property and a period of service, as well, perhaps a long period, since I spared their lives. If the bandits were ruthless or cruel, I would offer no mercy, but life has already taught me that very few things are black and white
."

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"You wish to become tal zij to me to regain your lost vhal?"[/SBLOCK] Lasair raises an eyebrow in surprise, [SBLOCK=Sylvan]"I would not have expected to hear this from a Westerner. If I believed you to be possessed of a respectable vhal before this incident, I would be bound to accept. Your loyalty to your spirit-sister speaks well of you, but I must ask you this question first: Why did you greet us with a lethal attack, even after we noticed you? You could have chosen to strike to subdue, or to barter for our horses--you had enough money on you for those options, and how did you get all that money? I must understand this, and only then can I help you."[/SBLOCK]

*Lasair turns to comrades.*

"She...they wish to become tal zij," then she thinks better of leaving it at that, "Oh, right, you would not know of that...It is not at all like the humiliation of your Western servants, but in some ways other Westerners have found it similar. It is a term of obeisance in which a zij is repaid and the vhal of the one serving is restored. I never would have expected that from a Westerner. She also offers all of their wealth to us, as part of her penance. That last is more than I would have required, but we are bound to accept it if she offers it in order to help her repay her zij. I have asked her to explain the specifics of their lethal attack. If they can satisfy us, I would request that we allow the tal zij. I realise that this means that they will be around us if their pursuers catch up, but it is an important part of one's vhal to allow others to recover theirs when necessary, right?"

Last edited:

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Dwarven Fighter 2 HP:22 AC:15

Cludge squints at Lasair with one beady eye. He pulls a clay pipe from a pouch, and tamps down the tobacco inside.
If I understand ya right, he says, pointing the stem at Lasair, they wanna carry our bags?
He sparks a tindertig and blows an enormous smoke ring.
Mebbe fer a bit. But they'll slow us mightily down. We ain't got horses fer alla 'em. And I still ain't sure we can trust 'em.
He stabs at Jilsa grumpily. Next time ya wants somethin', you ask fer it like a nice p'lite little girl, ya hear? he says crossly. Don't be goin' around firin' arrers at 'em.
An' Lasair, deary, enough wit' tha zeep an' voop er whatever it is yer on about, 'cause none a us understands what the blazes yer sayin'.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Russna's eyes," says Conuld, "that's all we need. I look forward to being trussed up and thrown into a river to drown, when the rest of the tribe catches up with us."

Phoenix8008

First Post
"By Taurusk's horns!" Kurgahz growls. "How..did..they..get..the..seven..hundred..crowns?!", Kurgahz asks with accentuated slowness to get his point across. "If they wanna be our servants or somethin', I first wanna know if they killed someone else to get that money, just plain stole it, or they just happened to have that much between them when they left??" He asks while crossing his arms over his chest waiting for a reply.

Solange

First Post
"I am weary of letting those who attacked us remain near," Shadya says. "Perhaps the one you speak to speaks the truth, but we know not if the others are willing to abide by such an agreement, and they would outnumber us, and pose problems when we rested. The are not normally bound by your sense of vhal as I understand it Lasair, and expecting them to suddenly start might be fine for one or two, but all eight?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"We can make Jilsa or perhaps Jilna speak for the others. With her own vhal on the line if they take action, it will be she who loses most if they attack us, and considering they left following her example, I would presume they would not be such vhal-less scum as to damage her vhal again by doing so. Plus, they have seen that we can defeat them with very little trouble. If they take the chance, well...I will make sure Jilsa tells them that if they act up again, they will not be dealing with me any more, and I am the nice one."

Remove ads