• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Okay this is odd. They do not have the same value at all for coins as you other Westerners. Which could mean that the wealthy among them have thousands upon thousands of your platinum coins that they would trade for very little in terms of goods or services. How strange."

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"You had 70 platinum coins. I have traveled far among the Western lands, and I can tell you that everywhere but here with you, that much would purchase an entire year's worth of food for your entire group, or alternately a horse for each of you and plenty left over. How odd. Can you explain that to me? I shall reach a conclusion imminently with my companions."[/SBLOCK]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The girl looks even more confused. "
Pla-tih-num? What is pla-tih-num? Samsa took Jilna's father's silver from a stash he had in his bed. There was much gold, but Samsa took only the silver. We did not want to take all his savings, just enough to survive for a few days in a foreign land
."
Jilsa's gaze moves from Lasair to Cludge to Shadya, confused.

And yes, you're quite sure it's platinum in the bags, not silver.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Lasair raises an eyebrow and then seems as if she is suppressing the urge to chuckle slightly.*

"They couldn't tell platinum from silver. They thought they were taking only 7 gold from her parents," she says to her comrades, "As you know, I think we should help them. Jilsa's concern for our own welfare is commendable. Helping them is the right thing to do. Shadya, what is your call?"

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Ah, Jilsa my friend, you are much like me. Come here, I had to learn this for myself very recently too, as my people do not use this currency of the Western lands."[/SBLOCK]

*Lasair leans in close to sit next to Jilsa.*

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"See this?"[/SBLOCK]

*She withdraws a silver piece.*

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"This is a silver coin. Ten of these makes a gold."[/SBLOCK]

*She then withdraws one of Jilsa's platinum pieces and one of her own.*

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"These are platinum. Very different. Ten gold makes a platinum. So your money was worth exactly one hundred times as much as you thought. Ironic, no?"[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Jilsa leans in close. When Lasair tells her the real worth of her money, Jilsa gasps loudly. "
I- I- Ironic
?!"
she shouts. "
We have taken everything, everything from
-"
She turns to Jilna, who looks worried, and presumably fills her in. A horrified expression slowly appears on Jilna's face. Her gaze shifts from Jilsa to the road heading north east, as though she expects the tribe to appear any moment.

Jilna turns back, speaking quickly and stumbling over her words, "
Jilna's father has no daughter and no money, she- they will think us thieves and traitors, we will drown, we will drown, not for the crime we committed but for one we did not mean to- oh,
Galatea's
tears, wash us of our foolish, reckless impulses
!"
Jilsa bows her head and begins muttering under her breath while tears run down Jilna's cheeks as she quietly repeats one word over and over again.

The other young runaways lie soundlessly, lost in an internal sea of darkness.

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Well, it isn't too late to fix this. They have to pass this way, right? Of the pursuers, will there be any who speak the Common trade tongue, or this language, or the languages of the angels or the air spirits? And they have to come this way, right? If I can talk with them, you can leave me behind with the money, tied up. I can wait for the pursuers and explain that you tied me up and required me to return this money when you discovered your mistake."[/SBLOCK]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Jilsa stops praying and her jaw drops as she jerks her head up to look at Lasair. She says something in her own language, and then shakes her head and repeats it in Sylvan, "
You... you would bind yourself? For bandits
?"
Jilna looks up as well. Jilsa looks at Conuld, a stunned expression on her face, looking to the wizard for either confirmation or, far more likely, objection.

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Yes I would bind myself,"[/SBLOCK] Lasair replies, [SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Not for bandits. That is not who you are. I would bind myself for a young woman I know who lost her way but seeks to recover her vhal. I would bind myself for Jilsa."[/SBLOCK]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Dwarven Fighter 2 HP:22 AC:15

Cludge leans over and whispers to Conuld, loud enough for anyone within about 100' to hear clearly: I'm a bit confabulated, Connie... what in Azwan's bollock's is afoot here? All this jibber-jabberin' in monkey talk is makin' my head hurt.He grips Conuld's elbow. Are ye sayin' they thought platinum was silver?
A strange look passes over what is visible of Cludge's face. Hee, he says, breathing heavily. There is a pause and he begins to shake slightly.
Hee ha ha ha ho hee haa haaarrrr! Ga ha ! Ga ha! Bwarg har har ha ha ha ha HA HA HARG HARRRRRRRRRRG!
Cludge doubles over and grasps his knees. There is a small sucking noise, like a clogged bagpipe trying to fill with air, then a great, long gasp.
Are ya - *cough* brrrrack - muha mu ha-ha-ha-ha haruuump - are ya treally sayin' -truly sayin', -- tha- bwe heh that - that- that - they taked platinum fer silver?
Cludge looks up at the faces of those around him and blows his nose in a huge red hanky.
Pardons, he says meekly, trying desperately to recover. I ain't laughin' at their siteration. It's just ... well... it's, um... He sits down with a thump. Guess ya gotta be a dwarf, he grumbles.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ah, Cludge, these poor foolish children," Conuld sighs. "By the way, I would advise not referring to the noble language of the Fey as monkey-jabber, lest you wake one morning to find yourself stark naked, a hundred feet up a tree, hanging on by a newly grown tail." He takes a small piece of bread from his pocket and throws it into the undergrowth, though with a shame-faced look as though he's behaving childishly.
"I am not sure I like your idea, Lasair, noble though it is. Just what is the life expectancy among your people? But it is certain we cannot leave our incompetent bandits here now. Kurgahz, please wake the unconscious ones, and let us get moving, whether separately or together, I do not care. The money can be left with a notable and trustworthy person in the next town, someone who runs no risk of being tossed in the river when they return it."
[sblock=Sylvan]"Will your pursuers be on horseback?"[/sblock]

Remove ads