• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Spiked Drink

jbear

First Post
Relic nods at Daylily's comment.

[sblock=Elven] "Yes, every man is responsable for the consequences of his own supidity. I know that better than most. As our well dressed halfling friend says, the Whitecloak seems like he will make sure he pays for his part. If I remember rightly you have little love for their order as well ... and I'm sure your aid of the fat merchant will annoy them at the very least. What interests me is that if this man tells even only part of the truth then someone else has used the peddlar of perfumes to spread their venom and disease throughout this town. A menace I would see stopped. The alchemist's fate ... well, it will be what it will be." [/sblock]

Relic turns a very hard stare upon the alchemist for quite sometime before continuing.

"I sense you are keeping things from us Perfume Man who owns a shop in Roses di Sanguigno but I don't see the why of it yet. I could rip those secrets from your mind but the telling would be easier on both of us...

How is it that a man with a mind sharp enough to distil the very essence of a thing into a unique smell, and master the fine art of potion making, a man who has a business mind sharp enough to deal with the nobility of Vezna ... can not remember any more than the first letter of the name of the person who has miraculously appeared to provide him with 500 much needed potions....? Please explain how that is possible ... Mr ... Rulkelp was it? If you can't I think our White Cloaked friend does well to doubt your words."

OOC: Lol, as per usual Relic suspects even his own shadow. He can't figure out what the 'uh-ing' means but he doesn't like it or the man one bit and his gut (however wrong) tells him the White Cloak is probably right to suspect the man is a liar. Perhaps a bit of Intimidation at the mention of ripping what the man is hiding from him might nudge something forth (though there may well be nothing to rip from him, Relic thinks there is)?

Edit: Relic's not very scary today. He'll wait for a reply inany case before continuing with his questions :)

[MENTION=41485]InVinoVeritas[/MENTION] lol, I can imagine how much Daylily would love to be part of a full time detective agency! Have you decide to give Kazanto a rest, or is she on another adventure? What is [MENTION=6673727]Qik[/MENTION] Quioan doing anyhow?

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
As the group switches back and forth between Elven, Rulkelp looks hopeful at the three. At Daylily's question Rulkelp says "No no no, I have about 30 female clients in the upper nobility. The Twin Roses are the districts they live in. Roses D'Avorio and Roses di Sanguigno, together the Twin Roses."

Rulkelp looks scared and confused at Relic's attempt to intimidate him "If I knew more than a letter I would tell you! I can barley remember anything about what happened!"

The White Cloak finally drops his stoic face and says, anger in his voice "One reason why we don't believe you. As the old man said, you are quite sharp. Surly you are hoping for us to find any woman with a scorpion charm around their neck and name starting with an E, have them arrested, then you would say 'SHE DID IT!' You would get away, and an innocent girl would die in your place. Now the people you hired are suspicious. "

Rulkelp looks even more in shock at the White Cloaks' accusation, and looks tiredly at the ground saying "I didn't do it, I swear I didn't. Its the girl, I know she is involved..."

[sblock=Holphin]
Local: Rulkelp's shop has been a well known perfume shop for a long time, and Timothy has not let the previous generations down. He went to great struggles trying to gather clients from both Roses D'Avorio and Roses di Sanguigno, one that his father tried but could not do. Timothy's method of success is rumored to be his detailed note taking, including business transactions. Hopefully he included his notes for this transaction.

Arcane: Potion making takes time. Most alchemist take an entire day brewing one, some longer than that. The fact that some one happened to have 600 potions ready for the alchemist strikes you as odd. The potions had to have been created days, even months in advance, if created by only person. Maybe something in the bottles can inform you more?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Relic/Sense Motive]
The 'uh'ing seems to Rulkelp's way of re-collecting his thoughts, in an attempt to remember what happened in the past week. Other than that, nothing seems odd about his behavior.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
OOC: Kazanto's off on a treasure hunt right now. Killing boggards, standard fare.

Holphin rubs his chin as he listens to the two men. "Mr. Rulkelp, what can you tell me about potionmaking? How long would it take you to fill an order for 500 potions?"

Systole

First Post
Daylily sighs at Holphin.

[sblock=Elven]I know ye civilized folk some oft find my way of speaking hard tae ken, but if ye're nae Jiragan, please dinnae patronize me with yer half an accent. And I'm asking nicely, ye ken? Ye'll note I even said 'please,' which I'm tae understand is the word that nice and civilized people use tae resolve disagreements, even though a pummeling is faster and far less roundabout.

Though that be said, I am glad tae hear ye speak the Mother Tongue, even in such a debased and corrupted form. There are times I despair that you Easterners have nae grasp of proper history at all.
[/sblock]

He nods to the Whitecloak. "I also am think his story is much piles of brown leavings, but I am know the Speaker of the Sun Wolf ... the Speaker of Hinotheus, Marius. Is not fortunates, but Elder Little Brother took aways my vow for find wolf cub, for to protecting Snake Daughter. Maybe we are should go talkings to him?"

OOC: Not sure how much you know of Daylily's history, but originally he was signed up for Howling Night, then OOC he got shifted to Ryall's Estate so that they had some melee. IC, Daylily had vowed to help Marius, but Nathan/jkason convinced him that the spirits wanted him to help Kazanto instead. Marius may or may not be cheesed off, but as far as Daylily is concerned, the decisions of elders trump personal promises, so he was just following orders.

jbear

First Post
"Agreed. Let's talk to this Marius. Even better if you know him Daylilly. We'll see what he has to say about this woman, as he apparantly was the bridge between Rulkelp and her. I'd also be interested to examine the left over stock after that, Ser" he adds looking at the White Cloak. "I'd be grateful if you gave us directions, and perhaps sent word ahead to whoever guards it now to expect us. Tell them Nevyn is coming if you need a name."

Suddenly a thought occurs to Relic.

"There can be little doubt whether our alchemist speaks full truth or but part, that more people are involved. I wonder if this man has had his mind meddled with ... If you don't mind Rulkelp, I'm going to check if there are any lingering traces of magic upon you..."

A slight wind tinged with sea salt stirs momentarily in the bar as Relic closes his wrinkled eyes and searches for traces of magic upon the alchemist.

OOC: Relic uses his Orisons to cast Detect Magic focused on Rulkelp.

Once finished and sharing his findings be they positive or negative, Relic concludes:

"It might also be interesting to visit the docks to enquire about the whereabouts of Rulkelp's missing cargo. Perhaps Daylilly's fist in the right face might loosen tongue. For some reason I have a hunch that the disappearance of his shipment and the miraculous discovery of a mysterious supplier of 600 poisoned and diseased bottles of perfumes and potions to be distributed directly amongst the noblewomen of Vezna is no coincidence. Somethimg in the Wind blows foul. Who is your importer Rulkelp, your contact based here in Vezna? Or have you forgetten their name also?"

jackslate45

First Post
The White Cloak turnes toward Relic, glaring but says "If you have any parchment, I can write a letter allowing investigations. If not, just say that Lt. Rondo sent ya. Can't have him running around unguarded, can I?"

Rulkelp thinks for a moment before answering Holphin's question "Hmm... Takes me 2 hoursish per drink, 1 for a standard perfume, 4 if I need to be careful with essences. Some things go BOOM if you mix them wrong. For 500, lets see, an average week takes gives me about 10. One week when I was over booked, I ended up with 20 being made and sold immidiatly. That was a nice bonus, oh yes. I believe there was some accident involving nobles. A half-orc named Vermag ordered it to heal a number of injured victems. The Turning of the Year festival always slows down buisness, but normaly 500 is about what I make in an average year. All depends. Why, are you looking to order 500?" Rulkelp says, a twinkle not seen before in his eyes.

He is brought back to reality when Relic's spell goes off, saying "Wha? Geez, who'd think the wind can do that?."

[sblock=Detect Magic]No magic detected. [/sblock]

After Relic's last question, Rulkelp laughs nervously and says "Import And Export Extrodianre is the location. Thames is the guy I normally deal with. Smart lad, but cannot say the same for his half-brother. Nasty dealing that was. Not far from here actually. Is definatly closer than the others."

GM: I try to keep up to date with all the NPC's all the DM's create. One reason is that this IS a living world, and pulling other NPC's that might have interacted is fun to do. The NPC just stuck with me was all. Don't worry, Daylily will get an earfull.

jbear

First Post
"I detect no trace of magic upon your mind. It seems you are naught but either a liar or a fool."

As Rulkelp tells that 500 potions would be what he sells in an entire year he becomes even more incredulous at the man's story.

"And how much did you pay for these 100 initial perfumes and potions? And did you pay for the other 500? Because you must have thought it at least a little strange that a shipment as important and valuable as an entire year's stock would be just left at your doorstep, did you not?"

Relic takes out a clean piece of parchment and quill and ink and pushes it across the table towards the annoyed guard.

"Thank you Lt. Rondo. Your cooperation is appreciated... and the address?"

Once the telling is done Relic turns to his companions to ask:

"So where shall we begin? Marius at the temple, Thames and his halfbrother at the Import Export Extroadinaire or a visit to see the tainted stock?"

OOC: Do we need to wait on a 4th PC? Or are we good with just 3?

jackslate45

First Post
OOC: I would like a 4th, but for now we can get by with 3. I did invite songdragon, even though she is level 2.

IVV: Is there a judges ruling on having a lower PC join one for higher levels? Or is it up to the DM?

Systole

First Post
OOC: I'm happy to have SD along. I can't speak for Holphin, but Daylily can pump out some truly stupid damage numbers as long as the rolls don't completely go to hell, and Relic has a crapload of save-or-lose spells. It would be nicely to have a character that's a flank buddy, a trap disarmer, and otherwise all-round skillmonkey to round out the party.I'd especially like to get aforementioned skillmonkey before we start on the skillmonkey portions of the adventure.

Remove ads