A Technical Look at D&D Insider Applications

zerotkatama

First Post
Scribble said:
I dion't mind having to pay a "nominal fee" to access the digital version of my book... What's scaring me though, is that it specifically says "As a subscriber, ownership of the E-version gives you access, when you are online, to the rules content while you’re filling out or updating your character sheet."

When I'm online? So it's apparently not a portable digital book, (and most likely not a pdf.)

This is the first thing really that has actually disappointed me so far about the DDI.

I could be wrong, Charles, but the way I read that is you get access to that added functionality as a subscriber. However, you still get the PDF for the nominal fee.

Scribble

First Post
zerotkatama said:
I could be wrong, Charles, but the way I read that is you get access to that added functionality as a subscriber. However, you still get the PDF for the nominal fee.

I'm not Charles, but I hope you're right. :)

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Scribble said:
I dion't mind having to pay a "nominal fee" to access the digital version of my book... What's scaring me though, is that it specifically says "As a subscriber, ownership of the E-version gives you access, when you are online, to the rules content while you’re filling out or updating your character sheet."

When I'm online? So it's apparently not a portable digital book, (and most likely not a pdf.)
No, it says you can access the content online while filling out or updating your character sheet. They are talking about the character creator application. From everything I've heard about this application, it is tied directly to online. When you click on the feats tab, for instance, it goes to the DDI service, gets the currently available list of all feats from all books released and displays them for you. If you click on a feat to see the details of it, it goes online checks to see if you've paid the nominal fee to activate that book in DDI and then displays a description of the feat if you have or shows you no detailed information if you haven't.

As for the book itself. Who knows what format it will be in. Wizards was asked if it would be a PDF file a while back and they said they hadn't decided yet.

From what I've heard paying the nominal fee does two things: it gives you a digital copy of a book (which you can get even if you are not a DDI subscriber) and if you ARE a DDI subscriber it also unlocks that books content in "all of the databases". Which means being able to see the full descriptions of all the feats and abilities in that book in the character creator, likely being able to bring up a sheet of stats for monsters in the virtual table, and possibly other databases that they haven't really announced yet.

ForumFerret

Explorer
Scribble said:

This is the first thing really that has actually disappointed me so far about the DDI.

I think they're talking about what buying the ebook gives you in context of the character generator, Scribble. All the talk I've seen has said something along the lines of 'you get the full text of the book (in some to-be-announced-ebook-format) and in addition it unlocks the data for your character sheet/character generator to use.

(Edit: beaten like a redheaded stepchild...but I think we're all saying the same thing.)

Scribble

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
From what I've heard paying the nominal fee does two things: it gives you a digital copy of a book (which you can get even if you are not a DDI subscriber) and if you ARE a DDI subscriber it also unlocks that books content in "all of the databases". Which means being able to see the full descriptions of all the feats and abilities in that book in the character creator, likely being able to bring up a sheet of stats for monsters in the virtual table, and possibly other databases that they haven't really announced yet.

Again that's awesome if it's true.

I was making a comment based on what was officially stated on the wizards website. It didn't say anything about a separate copy, only that when you are online you can access the digital info. So, if it's two different things... Awesome. But until that if officially announced, my comment still stands. :)

JVisgaitis

Explorer
If I read the phrase "Windows rich" one more time I think my head would asplod. Seems like they are saying that the Game Table and the Character suite of options won't work with dual booting a Mac unless I am reading that wrong. Sucks for me/WotC. 7 subscriptions from my motley group that they aren't getting. On a positive note, I like everything I read. It sounds awesome. Just wish I could run it on my Mac...

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The character sheet portion of the D&D Character Creator is a data-driven Windows rich client application designed to facilitate character sheet creation using the D&D 4th Edition rules. D&D Insider subscribers will be able to create characters using content from any published book. To get access to the full details of the relevant rules and mechanical elements, though, you will need to own the E-version of the physical book where these rules or mechanical elements were published. When you purchase the printed book, a code will grant access to the E-version of the book for a nominal fee. As a subscriber, ownership of the E-version gives you access, when you are online, to the rules content while you’re filling out or updating your character sheet. Without the E-version, however, the character sheet will give you only the barest information (such as the names of feats and such) and refer you to the appropriate published books.

This burns me. In my group, and I am sure 99.9% of gaming groups, not every person owns their own individual copy of each and every book. On person had the complete series, I had spell compendium and bo9s, someone else had the races series, etc. As a GROUP we had a pretty complete collection, but as individuals it was fragmentary. It wasn't a problem making characters-- we'd just look at each other's books.

But this online thing you each have to have your OWN copy to get access to the updates for your character. Don't have the 4e version of Complete Warrior? Oh well, your fighter cannot have spiffy feat/presige class-- but we'll tell you what book it is in.

I suppose the easiest solution to all this is for people to register their books all in the name of 1 person in the group (DM perhaps), but then you could only access the full character creation options while that person is around or if they give you their password...

Which I wonder what would happen if 2 people login at the same time with the same user id and password-- is your account canceled & all online access cut off because you tried to cheat them of their $10 pound of flesh per month by having your game group share the cost?

Honsestly, I'm not trying to say "My haT of d02 noze no Limitz", and I am looking forward to 4e, but some aspects of this online thing really bug me. Personally, I plan not to pay the $10/month or the "nominal fee" per book-- and mooch off my friends that do.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
JVisgaitis said:
If I read the phrase "Windows rich" one more time I think my head would asplod. Seems like they are saying that the Game Table and the Character suite of options won't work with dual booting a Mac unless I am reading that wrong. Sucks for me/WotC. 7 subscriptions from my motley group that they aren't getting. On a positive note, I like everything I read. It sounds awesome. Just wish I could run it on my Mac...

Oh, don't worry. There will surely be some 3rd party software designed to fill this niche-- probably by the people who had been making online gaming tools for the past 5 years or so (screen monkey, etc).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Here is what I foresee happening:

Random person goes into the book store with a pen and paper and sees a DnD book they want. He knows that with the DDI you can receive a pdf copy of the book with extras IF you fork over 10 dollars. He then writes down the code (maybe necessitating that he rips open a packet or writing down serial numbers).

The random person then goes on-line enters the code + spends 10 dollars to receive his pdf and extras. Unfortunately, since its impossible to keep track of which books were sold at a store, WoTC would not know that the book's code was pirated. If the code is TRULY unique, then once that copy is bought, it's legal owner then get's screwed out of the content since Wizards would say that the legal owner stole the code.

Last edited:

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The Dungeon Builder will help create tactical maps for your games. This Windows rich client application is improving on the dungeon tile builder that is currently available for download on the D&D site. Using dungeon tiles or basic drawing tools, Dungeon Masters and players can create tactical maps that can be used on the D&D Game Table.

Where is this Dungeon Tile builder that is currently available on the D&D site? I went looking for it when I saw this and have not been able to find it...

Remove ads