A throwing about of ideas

airwalkrr

Adventurer
My sister actually does a lot of the roleplaying of which you are describing Isilorn; systemless and diceless. It's all pretty much decided by the GM based on how well the players craft their posts. I don't know which site she does it through, but I could ask her if you like.

EN World is very dedicated to the D&D side of things. The vast majority of PBP games here are D&D-related. Also, the 100,000+ members on EN World do not all participate in the PBP campaigns. In fact I'd say we are a very tiny minority. Many of us play in each others' games and get to know each other quite well in the process. So unfortunately, your post probably isn't reaching anywhere near 100,000. Probably more like 1,000 will see your post. Of those maybe 100 will read it. And of those, most are just bored and looking for something to read.

Note my analysis of things might be greatly skewed, but I doubt it's far off the mark.

Rhun

First Post
Note my analysis of things might be greatly skewed, but I doubt it's far off the mark.

I actually agree with airwalkrr...a few years ago, there were a lot more people playing PBP here. We've shrunk a bit, and the majority of us here have all roleplayed with one another at some point in time. But yeah, if you get more than a few people interested in a game, you are doing well. :)

Rhun

First Post
Could it be GURPS? I read that was also more or less designed to be customized by the players.

This is NOT the one that I was talking about, but I did just find this ruleset yesterday. It is written by an EN World member that was asking for feedback. It seems fairly simple...while it does have rules, a lot of things are left up to GM fiat. It might be worth taking a look, especially since it is free. Here is the link:

Dichotomy Roleplaying System

Dr Simon

Explorer
My sister actually does a lot of the roleplaying of which you are describing Isilorn; systemless and diceless. It's all pretty much decided by the GM based on how well the players craft their posts. I don't know which site she does it through, but I could ask her if you like.

I've run some PbP games that were systemless and diceless, but they were all pretty much one-on-one. I think if you have multiple players, you need to make sure that everyone has the same assumptions regarding what their power levels are. This could be fairly easily agreed if all parties are familiar with a particular genre or specific works. For action/combat, for example, you could say "It's a bit like Die Hard", and players would then expect their characters to be able to perform crazy action stunts, get beaten up but never quite knocked down. If you said, on the other hand, to expect "Band of Brothers" then the emphasis would become that of using tactics, teamwork, cover etc. with the knowledge that one shot could kill you.

Outside of combat, actions are a little easier to adjudicate.

I found that the emphasis becomes much more strongly orientated on how an event affects the character's personality, and how they develop from it, rather than the more mechanical aspects of RP (i.e. who will run out of hit points first), but that's something I try to bring (on occassion) to my dice-based games.

Isilorn

First Post
I thank airwalkrr for his honesty:) I more or less expect there to be few who might want to play a diceless(= without a set system/rules) game, and after having read some games and matereal lying around, I have found the use of dices and more sofisticated systems rather interesting. I have started some plannig of games with systems, and I think it would be easier to play, perhaps, if I did have one such system. At least some core rules. But as previously stated I would like to join a game just to get the genuine feel of it.

And I say yes please to your offer, airwalkrr. It would be interesing seeing a diceless game again, so I'd very much like to have the address to that place:)

Remove ads