• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Wrought Iron Fence Made of Tigers

radferth

First Post
I understand what your saying, I just don't get the why. I mean, we all have our favorite systems, but you make it sound like its hard to run a social game in 4e. I mean sure, 4e has a lot of combat effects, but how much stuff do you need to run a social game?

I'm currently playing a fighter in a 4e game, and he has almost the best strength you can afford. I also have a 14 cha, and diplomacy as a trained skill (I took the warlord multiclass). I am full capable in combat, yet I have excellent social skills.

So what other rules do you need to make the social game happen? Lots of classes make great use out of charisma already, rogues, paladins, warlocks, inspiring warlords, etc. They can all pick up diplomacy and intimidate etc and be great in combat and social scenes.

I'm sure 4e would support a primarily social campaign just fine, I'd merely prefer something with much simpler combat rules if there isn't going to be much combat.

Ander00

First Post
I am a bit embittered about this loss. Right after chromatic dragons, I think its second.
Agreed. I disliked the names for the wizard disciplines, but in hindsight I'd much rather see the disciplines than the holes they have left in the wizard section of the PHB.

cheers

Cadfan

First Post
Agreed. I disliked the names for the wizard disciplines, but in hindsight I'd much rather see the disciplines than the holes they have left in the wizard section of the PHB.

cheers
Yeah. In fairness to the complainers, the names didn't leap off the page at me either. But I liked the mechanical concept.

Scribble

First Post
I am a bit embittered about this loss.

Yeah I wish they would have held off on that too.

I remember thinking, and possibly posting that the names probably make sense in the context of the rest of the game.

Improved Dark One's Blessing doesn't make a ton of sense taken out of context either, yet within the rest of the game, and knowing how the warlock works it does.

Yeah. In fairness to the complainers, the names didn't leap off the page at me either. But I liked the mechanical concept.
I was definitely not convinced by "Golden Wyvern Adepts". I could live with Emerald Frost and ... Serpent Eye was it, I believe?

I feel tempted to open a house rule thread on this topic and hear some suggestions. It looks to me as if there were 3 schools planned.
Wand-Users, using Dex as secondary statistic
Orb-Users, using Wis as secondary statistic.
Staff-Users, using Con as secondary statistic.

I think there might have been more, but these are the 3 mechanical things that are still clearly present in the game.

Cadfan

First Post
I was definitely not convinced by "Golden Wyvern Adepts". I could live with Emerald Frost and ... Serpent Eye was it, I believe?

I feel tempted to open a house rule thread on this topic and hear some suggestions. It looks to me as if there were 3 schools planned.
Wand-Users, using Dex as secondary statistic
Orb-Users, using Wis as secondary statistic.
Staff-Users, using Con as secondary statistic.

I think there might have been more, but these are the 3 mechanical things that are still clearly present in the game.
Serpent Eye I really liked. If that was the name. I don't recall at this point. I know Emerald Frost was one. I thought that one was acceptable, if not amazing. Golden Wyvern Adept seemed a little awkward, mostly because wyverns are a little awkward. I mean, wyverns? Why wyverns? Do people actually use those?

Overall, yeah. I agree with your analysis on how they were probably intending to run things regarding three schools, each with an implement and associated statistic. I wish we still had that.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I am a bit embittered about this loss. Right after chromatic dragons, I think its second.
Do you mean metallic dragons?

I think the loss of the mechanical aspects of the sub-classes is too bad (though it's pretty easy to pretend its there by taking complimentary implement masteries and feats), but I don't miss the names. They reminded me of the Book of Nine Swords, which were teh awesome for one mini-campaign I ran and then became "Haven't we done this campaign before?". Too much implied setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads