D&D 5E Aasimar Celestial Warlock or Tiefling Hexblade/Blade?

Werebat

Explorer
We're starting Curse of Strahd soon and I'm going to be a player instead of DM. Looking through Volo's I saw some intriguing stuff.

I've been wanting to play a melee warlock for some time now and the Hexblade is perfect. Even more perfect, I've always loved the Blade bard (since 2nd Edition anyway) and the College of the Sword bard is obviously a 5e conversion. AND the two classes seem to mesh well together. Thinking of making her a tiefling girl.

But I've also always been intrigued by the idea of a celestial sorcerer or warlock, and we have both in Volo's. A friend is playing a divine sorcerer in another campaign, so I'm looking at an Aasimar celestial warlock from one of the upper planes (the silvery, wintry one) who got sucked into Ravenloft.

Which of these do you think might be better to play? Do either of them have glaring problems I should know about? Any suggestions on what to do with them?

Shayuri

First Post
Tieflings aren't the best race for a blade bard or hexblade, just because they don't get much mileage out of their Intelligence bonus, but they're not horrible.

Aasimar are, of course, virtually perfect for being a celestial sorceror or warlock. :)

Werebat

Explorer
OK, race aside, which of these options works better? I feel like the celestial warlock just seems like an easier and more effective build, but I really want to like the hexblade bard. I thought there were numerous builds for the latter online but when I look I don't see much.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been looking at melee hexblade/bard myself. Trying to get it to work well enough to bypass other options.

One interesting bit was once I get extra attack on the bard side, go up to warlock 3 or 5 for Shadowblade. It's a concentration spell, which gets in the way of a lot (Hypnotic Pattern, Greater invis, etc), but it's a bonus action spell that lasts for a minutes which is most combats that does 2d8+CHR per attack with a 2nd level slot or 3d8+CHR with a 3rd. And warlock 3 or 5 happen to give you 2 spells slots of the appropriate length per short rest.

Remove ads