• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aasimar, Crafting Rules, and more in Gameinformer Magazine feature

To be sure, not saying the existing options should be deprecated or removed - they'll still be in Monsters of the Multiverse (which is supposed to still be compatible with the '24 revision), regardless.

Just saying that I'd like some options less blatantly tied to "angelic" heritage and more to other celestial lineages (archons, guardinals, Arborean eladrin, etc.) in the way that tieflings are getting with their Infernal/Chthonic/Abyssal choice, so I wouldn't be against them repurposing the Heavenly/Idyllic/Exalted celestial lineage options from the first draft of the ardling into new, additional options for the PHB aasimar.

So do you think Arborean Eladrin will still be the CG Paragons, given their Fey and Humaniod Elf versions, instead of replacing them with like Lillend or Asuras? Or a new Celestial CG race like Muses or Erotes or Oneiroi?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The head's still too big. It's the proportions of a child, not an adult.
If the proportions were accurate to a human adult, nothing in the picture would indicate that she’s a halfling as opposed to a human. Halflings either need different proportions than humans, or other characters and/or objects for scale reference in every picture they’re featured in. The latter is a pretty significant creative restriction, so I think it makes sense for them to go with the former.

So do you think Arborean Eladrin will still be the CG Paragons, given their Fey and Humaniod Elf versions, instead of replacing them with like Lillend or Asuras? Or a new Celestial CG race like Muses or Erotes or Oneiroi?
Honestly, no idea. Just throwing them in there as a placeholder for "major CG celestial subgroup" because they haven't delved into that corner of the planes enough since "relocating" eladrin to the Feywild in 4e to give us an idea of the who the big name celestials in Arborea are these days.

That said, the section on elves in Mord's Tome of Foes (now deprecated, I know) seemed to imply that modern Feywild eladrin were descended from more celestial ancestors that fell from grace in some way long ago, so I see it as at least a possibility that celestial eladrin are still a thing, in lieu of further information.

I will say, however, that I'm very much a "both/and" type - even if celestial eladrin do still exist, that's no reason that other kinds of CG celestials can't, in and of itself, particularly if they lean into the more "Olympian" aspects of Arborea, rather than the "elven" ones.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Her proportions look fairly realistic for a person with dwarfism, as opposed to the much more exaggerated proportions on the 2014 PHB halflings.
Fairly, like yoy could see Warwick Davis playing this sort of Halfling well enough. But even more exaggerated still.

Charlaquin

Fairly, like yoy could see Warwick Davis playing this sort of Halfling well enough. But even more exaggerated still.
You think so? I dunno, I’m no expert on the subject, but looks pretty subtle to me. Like, it’s not not exaggerated, but it looks pretty minimally exaggerated IMO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You think so? I dunno, I’m no expert on the subject, but looks pretty subtle to me. Like, it’s not not exaggerated, but it looks pretty minimally exaggerated IMO.
Well, like I said to @pukunui you know looking at the picture thar it is a Halfling, not a fuller sized Human (which was the problem with 3E Halfling art) and not a Gnome. There is a similarity to dwarfism proportions, but she is also more developed in particular ways (the limbs are longer, for instance) that the mind will pick up on sight.

Honestly, no idea. Just throwing them in there as a placeholder for "major CG celestial subgroup" because they haven't delved into that corner of the planes enough since "relocating" eladrin to the Feywild in 4e to give us an idea of the who the big name celestials in Arborea are these days.

That said, the section on elves in Mord's Tome of Foes (now deprecated, I know) seemed to imply that modern Feywild eladrin were descended from more celestial ancestors that fell from grace in some way long ago, so I see it as at least a possibility that celestial eladrin are still a thing, in lieu of further information.
It's rather annoying, but conversely also not surprising, that they avoided that potential minefield in the Planescape set, where we got updates for all the other major missing paragons (archons, guardianals, and rilmani), and just leaving that gaping hole for the archetypal CG planar race...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If the proportions were accurate to a human adult, nothing in the picture would indicate that she’s a halfling as opposed to a human. Halflings either need different proportions than humans, or other characters and/or objects for scale reference in every picture they’re featured in. The latter is a pretty significant creative restriction, so I think it makes sense for them to go with the former.
That's also why they used to have slightly pointed ears, bigger bellies, and hairy feet. Removing all that maybe saved WotC from a lawsuit, but it also made it clear that halflings weren't children...so avoided some of the more...unfortunate problems you run into when adult characters look like children. See about any anime, manga, or light novel for why this set up could be problematic.

Charlaquin

That's also why they used to have slightly pointed ears, bigger bellies, and hairy feet. Removing all that maybe saved WotC from a lawsuit, but it also made it clear that halflings weren't children...so avoided some of the more...unfortunate problems you run into when adult characters look like children. See about any anime, manga, or light novel for why this set up could be problematic.
This character may have childlike proportions, but she is still very obviously not a child, so I think this concern may be a bit overstated.

Remove ads