• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aasimar, Crafting Rules, and more in Gameinformer Magazine feature

Wonder if they'll give the PHB Aasimar a new set of celestial lineages to choose from that represent a LG/NG/CG planar connection to parallel the '24 Tiefling's Infernal(LE)/Chthonic(NE)/Abyssal(CE) choice, or just stick with the established Protector/Scourge/Fallen "angelic" options from Volo/MotM...
I hope so too. I would like to see Aasimar who are the descendants of Archons (LG), Guardinals (NG), and whatever they've got planned for CG Celestials.

I also wish they could squeeze in the Genasi too. ;)

I hope so too. I would like to see Aasimar who are the descendants of Archons (LG), Guardinals (NG), and whatever they've got planned for CG Celestials.

I also wish they could squeeze in the Genasi too. ;)
I wouldn't be against promoting genasi to the PHB, necessarily, though there does come a point where page space becomes a concern, and short of reintroducing para- and/or quasi-genasi, I'm not sure there's anything to add there that MotM doesn't already provide.

By contrast, we know goliaths are getting an array of new giant lineages, and if aasimar similarly get some new lineages on top of their existing ones, that goes a long way toward justifying their presence in the PHB in a way that a straight reprint wouldn't (on top of simply having two planetouched options that thematically mirror each other, a la Celestial/Fiend Warlock and Wild/Clockwork Magic Sorcerer).

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
To be sure, not saying the existing options should be deprecated or removed - they'll still be in Monsters of the Multiverse (which is supposed to be compatible with the '24 revision), regardless.

Just saying that I'd like some options less blatantly tied to "angelic" heritage and more to other celestial lineages (archons, guardinals, Arborean eladrin, etc.) in the way that tieflings are getting with their Infernal/Chthonic/Abyssal choice, so I wouldn't be against them repurposing the Heavenly/Idyllic/Exalted celestial lineage options from the first draft of the ardling into new, additional options for the PHB aasimar.
I am guessing the Aasimar who happen to come from the GCG plane can have animal features if the player wishes.

whatever they've got planned for CG Celestials
Since the Eladrin are so convoluted now, I wouldn't mind seeing a new group of CG exemplars built around the Lillends and Asuras.

Lillend.PNGAsura.PNG

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
So do you think Arborean Eladrin will still be the CG Paragons, given their Fey and Humaniod Elf versions, instead of replacing them with like Lillend or Asuras? Or a new Celestial CG race like Muses or Erotes or Oneiroi?
I am unsure how they will sort out the Eladrin Elves.

They way Tome Of Foes described them, the Elves were already "Fey" even while they were Celestials and before they had any contact with the Feywild. This requires explanation. My hypothesis is, the shapechanger Elves "budded" (reproducing asexually) from the blood of the shapechanger Corellon. Corellon themself is an Elf and is the literal parent of all Elves. The blood that was spilled in battle ... happened to happen in the Feywild. Alternatively, the spilling of this blood caused the Feywild to come into existence. Obviously, all of this speculation is highly setting dependent, and would be untrue for other settings. But Forgotten Realms multiverse still needs to make sense of this.

In any case, the Eladrin of Arborea are personifications of the "Chaotic Good" alignment, even tho the Elves of the Feywild and the Material Plane arent this. The angelic Eladrin are also shapechangers, who change forms at-will.

The Celestial Eladrin are also called "primeordial" elves and similar. Something like this could help distinguish them from the Feywild Elves.

Most of the 2e Eladrin Celestial hierarchy, like Tulani, Fierre, etcetera, are in the Feywild in 5e. So, the Elves in Avandor in Arborea are actual "Elves".

It is still possible, the Aasimar − and its stats − can represent them. If some Aasimar are Celestial Elves, then the CG ones can shapechange at will. (Sorta like a Changeling, but into objects as well.)

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Straight up NG too - guardinals tend to be pretty furry...
True. The Guardinals can range from fully human to animalistic hints like fangs or feathery hair to fullon humanimals.

Generally, I hope 5e Elysium focuses on "True Good", that optimizes and juggles both individual personal identity and collective group identity, whichever happens to achieve the most good at any moment.

The CG Eladrin priortize personal freedom and encourage others to be the best version of oneself.

The LG Aasimar prioritize duty to a group that works together to do good things.

In 2e, the Lawful tends to associate "architecture" and the Chaotic tends to associate "wilderness". But I hope 5e moves away from this. Eladrin have majestic civilizations. And LG Celestia its wildernesses and humanimals.

I hope 5e Elysium focuses on what "utopias" look like, and various kinds of them, and explain how they function.

To be sure, not saying the existing options should be deprecated or removed - they'll still be in Monsters of the Multiverse (which is supposed to be compatible with the '24 revision), regardless.

Just saying that I'd like some options less blatantly tied to "angelic" heritage and more to other celestial lineages (archons, guardinals, Arborean eladrin, etc.) in the way that tieflings are getting with their Infernal/Chthonic/Abyssal choice, so I wouldn't be against them repurposing the Heavenly/Idyllic/Exalted celestial lineage options from the first draft of the ardling into new, additional options for the PHB aasimar.
I'd kind of like both tieflings and aasimar to have 4 options. One tied to each alignment (lawful good/evil, neutral good/evil, and chaotic good/evil).

And then make a tiefling counterpart for the fallen aasimar. Some kind of fey based tiefling to mirror the shadow touched fallen aasimar.

I am unsure how they will sort out the Eladrin Elves.

They way Tome Of Foes described them, the Elves were already "Fey" even while they were Celestials and before they had any contact with the Feywild. This requires explanation. My hypothesis is, the shapechanger Elves "budded" (reproducing asexually) from the blood of the shapechanger Corellon. Corellon themself is an Elf and is the literal parent of all Elves. The blood that was spilled in battle ... happened to happen in the Feywild. Alternatively, the spilling of this blood caused the Feywild to come into existence. Obviously, all of this speculation is highly setting dependent, and would be untrue for other settings. But Forgotten Realms multiverse still needs to make sense of this.

In any case, the Eladrin of Arborea are personifications of the "Chaotic Good" alignment, even tho the Elves of the Feywild and the Material Plane arent this. The angelic Eladrin are also shapechangers, who change forms at-will.

The Celestial Eladrin are also called "primeordial" elves and similar. Something like this could help distinguish them from the Feywild Elves.

Most of the 2e Eladrin Celestial hierarchy, like Tulani, Fierre, etcetera, are in the Feywild in 5e. So, the Elves in Avandor in Arborea are actual "Elves".

It is still possible, the Aasimar − and its stats − can represent them. If some Aasimar are Celestial Elves, then the CG ones can shapechange at will. (Sorta like a Changeling, but into objects as well.)
Monsters of the Multiverse mentions that the first elves originated in Arborea before migrating to the Feywild, and then later on to the many worlds of the Material Plane. Because of their original mutable nature, each group of elves mystically took on the characteristics of the environment with which they bonded to.

Forests- Wood Elves
Fey Crossings in the Material Plane- High Elves
The Underdark- Drow
The Shadowfell- Shadar-Kai
The Feywild- the Eladrin
The Oceans- Sea Elves

Remove ads