• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About Countering spell

protheus

First Post
I'm a Lv 8 cleric and i was fighting 2 lv 5 troglo Cleric but here's my prob.

My Dm and I have a different opinion about countering casted spell, and i would like to know about you!

My DM Ways:
I have to target a spell caster when my init comes in there after i can now counter any spell he have if i can cast the same spell or the opposite (Using the rules DC 15 + lv of spell casted on a spellcraft check) or using a dispel magic.

This way problem: I have to KNOW that there is a cleric (and that is not easy with monster) and i have to spend a whole round to focus over the spell caster.

My way:
When ever a Spell is being cast i can try a spellcraft (DC 15 + lv of the spell casted on a spellcraft check) but i can only counter spell if i have'nt do any action during the round.

This way give more chance to be able to counter spell that are in my spell repertory.

What aabout you, what do you think?

Attachments

• Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png
    Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 19,611

pontus

First Post
Have you read your PHB lately?

Quoted from the SRD.
"To use a counterspell, the character must select an opponent as the target of the counterspell. The character does this by choosing the ready action. In doing so, the character elects to wait to complete his or her action until the character's opponent tries to cast a spell. (The character may still move at normal speed, since ready is a standard action.)

If the target of the character's counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level). This check is a free action. If the check succeeds, the character correctly identifies the opponent's spell and can attempt to counter it. (If the check fails, the character can't do either of these things.)

To complete the action, the character must cast the correct spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If the character is able to cast the same spell and has it prepared (if the character prepares spells), the character casts it, altering it slightly to create a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results."

graydoom

First Post
Yup. Pontus has it right.

Counterspelling is not a very good choice... you can only target one opposing character with it, that character has to cast a spell that you know, you have to make a Spellcraft check to identify it, and then the spell is actually countered... unless, of course, you don't have any of that spell memorized. Oops! You just wasted a turn.

Generally, it's a better idea to just attack the spellcasting opponents, either in melee or with your spells.

Edit: Whoops, forgot a very important "not".

'o Skoteinos

First Post
What you're looking for, protheus, is called "Reactive Counterspell", a feat from Magic of Fearun. It lets you counter a spell without the need to ready an action, as long as you haven't taken your action yet, and you are not flat-footed. The prerequisteses are Improved Initiative and Improved Counterspell iirc.

protheus

First Post
thx 'o Skoteinos, and thx all you really have clear my thought for that. I really fell that countering spell is'nt the geatess thing in the world as i see....

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
'o Skoteinos said:
What you're looking for, protheus, is called "Reactive Counterspell", a feat from Magic of Fearun. It lets you counter a spell without the need to ready an action, as long as you haven't taken your action yet, and you are not flat-footed. The prerequisteses are Improved Initiative and Improved Counterspell iirc.

Disclaimer: I don't play FR or have the FR books.

I thought Reactive Counterspell let you counter even if you did act, provided that you skip your next action. Was I wrong? Do you have a quote handy?

Dundragon

First Post
hmm. I just thought of something.

If you fail your Spellcraft check, or if you make it and realize that you don't have a counter for the spell, you can no longer take an action that round because you have wasted too much time, yes? Or can you... Skills usually take a standard action to use, but Reactive Counterspell wouldn't really do anything about that would it?

Remove ads