About starship combat

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm still working on that section of the book. But here's a sample ship!

It's my intention to have extensible crunchy ship construction rules and fast tabletop ship combat rules.

This is in no way finished, but it points to the way this is going.

ambusher.jpg

LucasC

First Post
Good to hear, looking forward to some dogfights and such.

Hoping we can emulate some of the awesome chase/fight scenes we see in shows including things like 'scraping' a pursuing fighter off onto a cliff face.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good to hear, looking forward to some dogfights and such.

Hoping we can emulate some of the awesome chase/fight scenes we see in shows including things like 'scraping' a pursuing fighter off onto a cliff face.

If you use the optional Newtonian mechanic for movement, then forward motion and turning circles will enable you to do that, if you time it right!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Is the three-dimensional issue as big a pain as it seems like it would be? Are you using some sort of three-axis grid?

Space: it's big and goes in all directions. :erm:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the three-dimensional issue as big a pain as it seems like it would be? Are you using some sort of three-axis grid?

Space: it's big and goes in all directions. :erm:

No, I haven't tried to tackle 3D.

I mean, it's not hard to include it at at a very some level. A short paragraph and there it is - all it requires is a move cost to change "elevation". You don't even have to use Pythagoras for ranges - just do that old fashioned "the horizontal or vertical range, whichever is larger".

But it's fiddly as heck to use, and displaying it on a grid requires either towering blocks or an unintuitive indicator next to it; plusI want the starship combat to be fast.

So maybe an optional rule next to the Newtonian mechanics.

Lindeloef

First Post
Awesome. I am really searching for a System that can give me "Wing Commander" like Space Battles so this N.E.W. just moved itself on my "to look out for" List of RPGs

Remove ads