Academy of Drell (d4/d6) filled!

Zhure

First Post
kaboom said:
Do you have any house rules for bards to make them more fun to play? (6 skill points/ level, a free feat every 4 levels, etc.)

Nope, no house rules in place (except the variants mentioned above). I've found Bards to be eminently playable and on equal footing with the other classes, especially in large groups. The more characters, the more powerful the Bard becomes.

Also, the Bard is the only accepted class for this campaign with access to Cure X Wounds. Thus they're the only ones capable of healing other party members. This alone makes them special enough.

(Rogues can use UMD for scrolls and wands, and Psions can get Lesser Body Adjustment and Empathic Link to efect healing, but it's nowhere near as cost-effective as a Bard casting a 1st level spell.)

Greg

Zhure

First Post
Dalamar said:
Don't PWarriors have d8?
*checks the book*
Yup, they do and so aren't allowed.

Can we use stuff from the Mind's Eye article appearing at WotC site? What about feats and powers (not the spells-to-powers conversions) from ITCK? I'll make up a psion anyway.
I asked this on the character thread, but I'll ask it here too: Can I play a blue?

I'm trying to minimize the non-core material, non-WOTC material. I do like what I've seen about ITCK, but as I don't own ITCK (I know, I know, it's on my list of things to do) I'll have to say "no."

Think of this as a chance to prove that "core" psions are just as capable as Wizards!

Greg

evileeyore

Mrrrph
My plan as a SorcerorRogue is eventually going Arcane Trickster... but if we need a lot of Healing I'll consider Contemplative (its the d4 Cleric out of DoF).

However Arcane Trickster means either eating some exp penalty or being 11th level before I qualify... You need to be a 3rd level Rogue and a 5th level Wizard (6th level Sorceror). Yeah Wizzie is a fav class but all that studying was a little too much like Lawful too my mindset.

Anyway I'm working out all the crappy tabs in the character so it'll be cleaner in the Character thread. I hope you guys don't mind me playing the "bad boy" of magic... kind of imagine Han Solo as a Sorceror/Rogue... without the Falcon or the 6' tall carpeted sidekick.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Zhure - I've posted a char idea out on your char thread in the Rogues.

Tell me what you think, and please answer my question, as it will have an impact upon her background.

Unless you have enough people, at which point, just ignore me. :D

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
evileeyore said:
...but if we need a lot of Healing I'll consider Contemplative (its the d4 Cleric out of DoF).

Actually, the Contemplative has a d6 HD.

However Arcane Trickster means either eating some exp penalty or being 11th level before I qualify... You need to be a 3rd level Rogue and a 5th level Wizard (6th level Sorceror).

To become an Arcane Trickster, you need 4 levels as a Rogue. It requires 7 ranks of Decipher Script, which is an exclusive skill that only the Rogue, Bard, and a few PrCs (Assassin, Loremaster, etc.) get. So you could take 3 levels as a Rogue, but you would have to take 1 more level in another class that has Decipher Script.

And Zhure, I might be interested. I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have any spaces left. If so, I'll probably end up playing a Gnome Alchemist/Potion Maker. (It's a shame that you aren't allowing any FR prestige classes... the Master Alchemist or Gnome Artificer would be perfect for this character. :( )

evileeyore

Mrrrph
RogueJK said:
To become an Arcane Trickster, you need 4 levels as a Rogue. It requires 7 ranks of Decipher Script, which is an exclusive skill that only the Rogue, Bard, and a few PrCs (Assassin, Loremaster, etc.) get. So you could take 3 levels as a Rogue, but you would have to take 1 more level in another class that has Decipher Script.

Hmmm, your right... I ussually ignore the Skill reqs as they are fairly easy to come by, but that exclusive could be a mit rough... Well if I have to go 4 levels might as well go 5... (and get sneak 3d6... grrr Uncanny-not flanked is 6th level... grrrr)

Unless someone out there in Enworld land has a suggestion for a Rogue PrC that could fit the bill for a level or two? (and doesn't have extreme prereqs)

TTFN

Oh as a side note Zhure. In other online games I've noticed a tendency to put OOC messages and "thoughts" in a different text color... Were you planning on implementing such a thing? If so you should post such "rules" in your first game thread.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
RogueJK said:

And Zhure, I might be interested. I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have any spaces left. If so, I'll probably end up playing a Gnome Alchemist/Potion Maker. (It's a shame that you aren't allowing any FR prestige classes... the Master Alchemist or Gnome Artificer would be perfect for this character. :( )

My primary reason for disallowing the FR stuff is I don't own it and don't plan on buying it, at least not in the forseeable future. I like to have all my game material in paper so I can peruse it leisurely (insert long explanation here). I'm not opposed to the *concept* of a Gnome Alchemist/Potion Maker, I just don't want to use material I don't own. :)

Greg

Zhure

First Post
Serbanas leaps! (Character name with optional descriptor)

evileeyore said:

Hmmm, your right... I ussually ignore the Skill reqs as they are fairly easy to come by, but that exclusive could be a mit rough... Well if I have to go 4 levels might as well go 5... (and get sneak 3d6... grrr Uncanny-not flanked is 6th level... grrrr)

Unless someone out there in Enworld land has a suggestion for a Rogue PrC that could fit the bill for a level or two? (and doesn't have extreme prereqs)

Assasin, Bard, Expert, Rogue, Loremaster, Shadowdancer. None of the psi-classes. Lots of the classes in Song & Silence, but for the life of me I can't think of one.

Oh as a side note Zhure. In other online games I've noticed a tendency to put OOC messages and "thoughts" in a different text color... Were you planning on implementing such a thing? If so you should post such "rules" in your first game thread.

Yes, good suggestion.

I plan on (I'll repeat this later):
Character name in title space, perhaps with an optional descriptor.
normal text - in character, quoted when spoken aloud, with appropriate modifiers.
italics - in character thoughts as reflected by the character's actions (i.e., something noticeable by a Sense Motive)
red- OOC hard numbers
blue - OOC clarification, expansions

Example:

Initiave = 6 roll + 4 = 10

Serbanas leaps forward, swinging his spiked chain wildly over his head, trying to bring the attention of the mob of orcs on himself. He brings both ends of the chain together simultaneously against the chieftan's skull.

"Die you evil fiend!" he yells at the top of his lungs.

I hope my sacrifice gives my companions a chance to escape to warn the others.

Jump skill = 41, ring of jump +30, 6 STR (2 from rage), 5 ranks jump, has Leap of the Clouds

Obviously this is just plucked out of my head and I certainly don't expect all these features to be incorporated into every post. The main idea here is to have fun and to try to use the features the board offers for maximum clarity for all of us.

I'm also always open to suggestions and new ideas.

Greg

Zhure

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
Zhure - I've posted a char idea out on your char thread in the Rogues.

Tell me what you think, and please answer my question, as it will have an impact upon her background.

Unless you have enough people, at which point, just ignore me. :D

Haven't got there yet today, so I can't answer your question, but I'll get to it soon. :)

Greg

Remove ads