• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Academy of Drell, Part IV

Zhure

First Post
Re: Victor

Rehashing what Victor initially saw
Zhure said:
Victor's journey is swift and other than the pounding in his chest, painless.

The tunnel shoots down rapidly, and is as slippery as initially he feared. As soon as Victor releases the rope there's nothing holding him back and he races downward, almost as fast as he could if he fell.

The descent isn't completely uncontrolled. For some reason, Victor doesn't tumble out of control. The lantern stays lit somehow, and it shows a rapidly approaching level area ahead, about a hundred feet past where the rope ended.

Just as he is convinced he is about to die from the impact, there's a soft wafting of air and Victor lands as easily as a feather falling.

He is standing on a square dais, about ten feet across, with the tunnel open above him. Heading directly northward is what can only be described as another "imperial road." save this one is underground inside a huge cavern.

The exact extent of the cavern is more than his keen eyesight can pick out. The entrance Victor came through is against a natural stone wall on the southern edge of the cavern.

Adding to that...

Lyrique tumbles down onto the dais. Rallyn, a gnome who is part of the Guard on the island, as well as a student, stands holding a spear impaling a still-struggling zombie.

Victor, one of the more well-known bards of the island, as well as being a student has just almost hacked the head off the same zombie that Rallyn has impaled.

Directly above your head lies the sharply angled passageway. Charlotte, a noble student, is clinging to the ceiling and is directing a winged Astral Construct downward toward the dais while she apparently is concentrating on creating another.

Ellie is likewise on the celing of the shaft, clinging with her hands and moving upwards out of the way.

The elf, Sildarin is in the shaft, levitating. He has apparently used his powers to levitate one or more of the group up. Lyrique, Rallyn and Victor are the only ones of the non-undead anywhere below the entrance to the shaft.

A horde of zombies litter as far as Lyrique can see, from the light of a candle on the edge of the dais. A quick guess places it at something like forty of them in the immediate area, packed like animals in a slaughterhouse and advancing slowly but purposefully, arms akimbo, jaws slacked in half-life. The flickering guttering candle illuminates their ill-kept and rotting condition.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Lyrique stops singing long enough to say Good Goddess! He stops singing the Ballad of Syrilain and Bob. and starts singing the Battle hymn of Bally's Pass. [OOC: he casts Monster summoning 2 calling up 1d3 = 6/2=3 Celestial Badgers. ] and sets them on the zombies.

Zhure

First Post
Clarifications

Lyrique- Since SM2 has a verbal component, that will end the Inspire Courage, but the effects will last for five more rounds. It's a full round spell. At least four zombies are within melee and will get AoO unless you cast defensively.

Charlotte- you're a half round out of sync, since you used the partial surprise round to manifest a Full round spell. That means you'll be starting AC this round. What did you want the AC to do? Recover someone or attack?

Zhure

First Post
Since a failed defensive casting means a failed spell, there are no AoO's. Lyrique knew how close they were, although I didn't make it clear enough. You can change your action to something else now that you know they are right on top of you.

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Zhure said:
Since a failed defensive casting means a failed spell, there are no AoO's. Lyrique knew how close they were, although I didn't make it clear enough. You can change your action to something else now that you know they are right on top of you.
Lyrique looks for something to use as a weapon against the undead (whips are subdual damage and that doesn't work on the undead) He will continue with the Ballad of Syrilain and Bob (Inspire) while he does this.

Jeremy

Explorer
Lichtenhart said:
"Hey I called you because I couldn't find a way up the tunnel, but now that we got it, let's run away from here! Rallyn go! I'll cover your retreat. Who's singing?"

Rallyn keeps up the banter to distract the others. "Singing schminging... You can sing while you climb. You got hit first, besides, I'm waiting for Sildarin to get me. I'm vertically impaired. Get going!"

Rallyn notices another singer, a dwarf, attempting some kind of touch spell or power and tries to place his face with a name in his mind.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Once More Into the Breach

Initiative
Sildarin 17 <
Ellie ?
Lyrique 10
Charlotte 8
Rallyn 1
Victor 1
Zombies 0

Lyrique's touch sends the impaled undead into a shower of dusty bone fragments. Whatever animus drove has been sundered.

Taking some liberties here...

Charlotte's ectoplasmic creature flies down and grabs Victor, whisking him upward out of reach of the mindless creatures as she concentrates on summoning yet another.

Rallyn focuses his powers and sends a huge shockwave through the ranks of the undead, knocking all of them within his reach down to the ground, but they don't appear injured by it. As a group, they shuffle to their feet, neither quickly nor with elan, but they are somewhat recomposed soon.

Victor slashes wildly clearing a path so Rallyn can be free of them, leaving only himself and Lyrique at the foot of the dais.

Remove ads