[Actual Play AGoT] Swords of the North!

Maester Luwin

First Post
Session 3 summary part 2.

Helga was likewise visited by Lady Shiera to ask her permission for an audience with Jasson. Noting Helga’s apprehension, Lady Shiera piqued the wildling’s interest by telling her that Jasson was indeed special! She also spoke of Helga’s own ability to foretell the future through dreams. This surprised the wildling though she neither denied nor affirmed Sheria’s statement. Shiera further shocked Helga by asking about Jasson’s dreams! Helga again refused to answer Shiera’s question.

Helga asked a question of her own “Why meet my son in the Godswood & alone?”

Lady Shiera stated “the Godswood is a place of power & in such places things are more easily seen.”

Helga still not convinced in this woman’s ability or power (she might have learned of the dream from Maester Quelion).

Helga asked “What things Shiera?”

Lady Shiera only smiled & said “Some people can see the future others have the ability to change it! I think Jasson is just such a person. I can train him & teach him. Allow him to grow Helga. Allow him to become more than a bastard & a wildling’s son. Let him go to King’s Landing.”

In the end Helga only agrees to let Jasson meet her in the Godswood. First she would speak to her son.This brought a smile to the Lady’s face.

As Lady Shiera departed, she looked over her shoulder & said “I see you have a great choice to make in the future Helga. You are a woman who lives in two worlds. But in the end there can only be one.” Shiera paused for a moment letting the silence grow before stating “Which one will you choose Helga? Pray give your grandmother my regards!”

Helga too stunned to respond, could only watch the woman leave.

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Everyone!

Session 3 Summary Part 3

Septon Heward was surprised to find visitors in Winterfell’s Sept when he returned. One was a beautiful woman in her early 20’s the other a rather stout man a few years older. Upon hearing the Septon enter the man swung around & said "Greetings Septon… Heward isn’t?"

Septon Heward nodded & stated “May the Seven bless you both but to whom do I have the honor of speaking?”

The woman continued to pray but the man bowed slightly & said “I am Ser Brandel Manderly from White Harbor. This is my younger sister, Ismerria. We come for the tourney and…. other things. Perhaps I could speak frankly?”

Septon Heward stated “But of course my son. The Seven smile upon the truth frankly stated.”

The stout knight merely nodded & said “My father asked me to approach Lord Willam of the possibility of joining our Houses. My sister is sought by many I assure you. Besides being young & beautiful, she has a fine head on her shoulders. She would be an asset to any Lord lucky enough to have her!”

Septon Heward stated “Blessed to have her. Those of the faith believe in faith not luck my son. And devout I might add. But how might I be of service?”

The knight appeared somewhat uneasy but stated “Septon my father would arrange a marriage between my sister & Lord Artos. He has never married & my father thinks this could aid both our houses! I know you have just arrived but I was hoping you may talk to Lord Artos on our behalf or at the least arrange a meeting here so I may state my case.”

Septon Heward liked this union as it would join another of the northern families of the old faith with the new. The Manderly’s of White Harbor were quite cosmopolitan & followers of the Seven. Lord Artos would need the support of the Manderly’s & their ships at White Harbor if the wildling Raymun was more than a grumkin.

Septon Heward nodded “I see. I see the benefits of this union Ser Brandel. May the Crone give me the wisdom to convince Lords Willam & Artos. Now Artos is of the old faith to be sure but your House is a strong & honorable one. If your Lord father could make certain promises… of ships & men if needed in an upcoming engagement. I see this being of greater import than talk of faiths or gods. In time Lord Artos may even see the error of his faith… one could only hope.”

Septon Heward, ever wise, was aware that perhaps House Manderly chose him because he was a man of the faith or perhaps there was more to it than that. The Septon was an adviser to Lord Karlon Karstark, not only a bannerman to the Starks but also a personal friend to Artos. The good Septon was also the grandson to Mathell Flint & could lend a hand in the dispute between the Boltons & Flints. If Septon Heward was able to aid Artos in this matter perchance he could also ask a favor in turn…. .

Septon Heward stated plainly “I feel this union would be a good one. However before I go before the Lords Stark I would know Ismerria’s mind on the matter!”

Lady Manderly continued to pray at the Maiden’s alter. Septon Heward excused himself from the knight’s company & made his way to the sister. He said “Lady Ismerria, daughter of the faith, may I have a word?”

An hour later the good Septon sat alone in the sept with his thoughts & prayers. Lady Ismerria seemed willing enough. She was also everything her brother had stated: bright, beautiful, knowledgeable, & willing to do her duty for family & faith. How could Lord Artos find her wanting. He had no doubt the Father would judge her kindly & that the Maiden would bless the union. Now to speak to Willam…. yes to soften the blow.

Thanks Maester Luwin

Berandor

lunatic
You're really doing a good job, I think, of conveying the feel of AGoT. Though I do miss the footnotes on the later posts. And this SH makes me wish even more I was playing the game... ;)

Maester Luwin

First Post
Berandor said:
You're really doing a good job, I think, of conveying the feel of AGoT. Though I do miss the footnotes on the later posts. And this SH makes me wish even more I was playing the game... ;)

Thanks for the kind words Berandor! I stopped putting in the foote notes because I wanted it to flow more like a story & less like a game recap. I used them at first to let the readers know where AGoT differs from D20/ D&D. I hope that my ability to write has improved over time. This is my first story hour & at first I was unsure how to go about it. el-remmen had a good thread with some wonderful advice (some of which I learned the hard way).

I will keep everyone posted with more updates to come. Thanks again for your interest! Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here is session 3 summary part 4 where Jasson Snow has a meeting with Lady Shiera!

Jasson Snow’s mind raced as he was led across the Godswood by Ser Brynden Rivers. He had so much on is mind that it was spinning with information. Both his mother & father had spoken to him before he left. And both had words of advice on how to handle himself & what questions to ask in turn. The words of his mother seem to come to mind ‘remember son no matter what words this woman speaks or what promises she makes you are Jasson Snow, my son born of the free spirit of my people along with noble blood of the Starks in your veins!’

Jasson had heard rumors that this woman came from the Far East. That she had the power of spells & could read your mind. No! Jasson thought, clear your mind & relax like Maester Quelion had taught you. Best to face this with a clear mind. The Bloodraven’s footfalls were as soft & silent as ever, making no sound as they made there way past the many tall trees.

Ser Brynden said in a quiet voice “You are not afraid are you Jasson?”

Jasson shook his head & stated “No Ser. I am curious though. You & your Lady are great among the court of the King. Why are you both so interested in me?”

Ser Brynden held the lantern so it would light the way but not show the expression of his face. But still Jasson felt he smiled. The Bloodraven stated simply “You are special boy. My Lady has seen it as well. The north & south should be closer in both body & spirit. Good King Daeron will have need of your father’s house in the upcoming war. I would see that he has it Jasson. You could be a bridge, Jasson, in which the North & the South become closer. By serving me you serve not only your father but the Kingdom! Besides I have a fond place in my heart for bastards. Ah here we are.”

Jasson had been to a Godswood before. The one at Karhold was atop the great rock the keep was built upon. It also had a great Wierwood tree with it’s face carved in it’s bark & it’s red eyes. A shiver ran up his spine & his neck hairs began to rise. Jasson had no word for the feeling but there was something about these groves… something he couldn’t explain. Uncle Rickon had said “Here the power of the Old Gods is strongest.” Jasson could believe it. A soft voice greeted him as a beautiful woman came in to view from the shadows of the Wierwood tree “Thank you my love & to you young Jasson Snow.”

Jasson stuttered “Greetings my…my Lady.”

As the woman passed the Wierwood tree it appeared that a shadow crept along the face, covering everything including the eyes! Jasson felt this was wrong somehow. She was dressed in the silks of a southern lady red & black in color. The color of fire & shadow Jasson thought.

It was her voice that bought Jasson back to the business at hand “So formal Jasson. We need not the court speech taught by your Maesters here. Just be your self Jasson.” Then turning to Ser Brynden she said “If we might have a moment alone?”

Ser Brynden nodded, his pale face a stark contrast to the deep shadows of this place, & said “My Lady I will be without if you have need of me.” He turned & was gone without another sound.

I had to break this up in two parts as it is quite long.Will post the other later.
Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
the Jester said:
AGoT looks really cool, and your game looks really fun. Well done, so far! :) :cool:
Thanks Jester for the kind words. I have really enjoyed both the game & the system. GoO did a great job modifing the D20 system to fit Martin's world. The system itself was a blast & really lent itself to roleplaying. I recommend it to those who are fans of the books as well as those who are just looking for a great system! Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Everyone. Part2 of Jasson's meeting with Lady Shiera.

Jasson now faced this woman alone seperated by a small pond feeling quite small himself. “My Lady why do you need to speak to me & why here?” Jasson managed to say after finding the courage.

Lady Shiera only smiled & said “Jasson you are a special boy with special… abilities though you may be unaware of it as yet. This is a place of power. I know you sense it, don’t you?” The woman began to make her way around the pond & to Jasson. As she walked the shadows seem to grow. Jasson wished Little Willam or his mother were here.

Jasson said “I’ve always felt… something when visiting the Godswood at Karhold. And here too I guess.”

She stood almost before him now. She was a small woman. Slender in body & small of height but there was something of… power about this woman Jasson knew. She placed a slender hand upon his shoulder while looking down at him. Her eyes looked all aglow mayhaps from the lantern or the moon Jasson Snow thought.

At once he seemed to relax. Her eyes like the eyes of the Wierwood tree seemed to peer right through him. In her eyes he could see himself running along with the great wolf & the great cat of his dreams. They ran on either side of him- he knew only he could keep the two apart. First one then the other tugged on him pulling him this way & that. He knew he must make a choice! He didn’t want to. He wanted both. They both needed him. Why do I have to choose? Suddenly, they were gone & an old, a very old, woman was there. Her face seemed to be looking at him thru Lady Shiera’s eyes. There was some concern in the old woman’s face. Was she trying to speak? Jasson felt she looked somewhat like mother! Then Shiera blinked & her eyes were normal again.

Lady Shiera face softened as she said “Your dreams trouble you do they not Jasson?”

Jasson grew defensive & said “I DO NOT DREAM!” He was surprised by the growing anger he felt. They are MY dreams he thought. She doesn’t need to know. Then he realized he was but a bastard boy & she a Lady of the King’s own court. He could hear Maester Quelion clicking his tongue in disappointment. “I’m sorry my Lady. I….”

Lady Shiera only smiled & removed her hand. “It is quite alright Jasson. That is why I wanted us to be alone. We all have dreams Jasson. You have power wither you will it or no. It is best to face it- control it lest it controls you!

Jasson was suddenly afraid “I said I was sorry. You don’t have to scare me!”

Lady Shiera smile widened as she said softly “It is not I who scares you Jasson. Face it boy, it is the choice you must make. Let me & Ser Brynden aid you. I could take you away from the choice Jasson & this paltry northern magic!”

Jasson must have looked as confused as he felt but Lady Shiera pressed on “Forget what your silly Maester has taught you Jasson! There is magic yet in the world. Why dragons yet breathe fire beyond the Shadow & something beyond our kin lies far to the North. Ice & cold is the way there. You may be the answer Jasson but only if you come with me. Jasson your choice could & should be greater than between cat & wolf.”

Jasson covered his ears & said “STOP! I want to go now. Please let me go. I don’t want to make choices & magic doesn’t exist! Maester Quelion said it died with the Children! Now take me back.”

Lady Shiera nodded her smile disappearing from her lips “Very well Jasson but know that you can run only so far. One day you must face your… gifts. When you are ready I will be there. You need only call upon me. Do you understand?”

Jasson only nodded as they walked from the grove. Jasson closed his eyes & began to count letting his mind focus on the numbers- seeing the numbers dance before his mind. The fear began to slip away. Tucked away deep inside his mind. Lady Shiera with the lantern in hand guided him through the gigantic trees. With his eyes closed Jasson didn’t notice the shadow that had covered the face of the Wierwood tree slowly fade away.

I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
As a side note from the story above.

Far beyond the Wall in a pavilion made of snow bear skins an old woman sat by a central fire, it's smoke floating above & out the hole at the top. The old woman liked the warmth of the fire. The noise of the camp outside raged on. There were many voices all in song or shouting boasts of things to come. The old woman watched the smoke swirl like a living thing. & suddenly she felt a presence. It was someone she knew but hadn't met. JASSON... yes that's what Helga had named the boy. My great-grandson! The old crone closed her eyes. Speak to me boy she thought... I can't see you but you're there. There is shadow- surrounded by shadow. The old woman could sense a certain fear, perhaps danger! But from whom... where? 'Boy' she thought 'fight it! You are my chosen!' Then in a blink of an eye he was gone! The old woman let out a howl of angst! For a heart beat she was alone untill a gruff voice brought her around.

"Are you well Magda?" the big man said standing at the flap with steel in hand. He was the largest man Magda had ever seen. Eight feet tall & so broad of chest & thick of arm. His bright red hair & beard reflected in the fire light.

"It is nothing Raymun King. Only a dream. A dream of a silly old woman." Magda said quietly.

From the entrance the man only grunted & was gone. Magda sat alone with the smoke & shadows.

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Session 4 part 1 Lord Willam's Council!

Lord Willam met with his bannermen for a much needed council. If Lord Artos was a man of action Lord Willam was a man of reflection. He was noted for discussions with his Maester & other advisors for hours or even days before making a decision on any issue. Alas, Lord Willam didn’t have that luxury now. The North was surrounded by trouble & danger. Lord Willam would have his men's advice & give them his decree. Lords Cerwyn, Dustin, Bolton, Tallheart, & Mathell Flint were present. Rickon & Ser Brandel Manderly were there to represent their fathers as well. Lord Artos was there as well as both Maesters, Septon Heward, Ser Benton Cassel, & Lorrick Poole. Willam called the meeting to order.

“Lords, Sers, & trusted servants you know by now that the Southern Lords have come asking for my aid. The Hand & Ser Brynden wants the North & their swords to back King Daeron. After speaking to Maester Pelion, I must agree that he is the most worthy & the more legitimate of the two. However, with the Ironmen raiding my western coast & the threat of the wildlings to the north I can hardly commit troops to the south! I would have your council before speaking to the Hand.” Lord Willam peered about the room.

Lord Dustin nodded to Willam & said “Milord I have arranged for 100 bowmen to reinforce Moat Caitlin. My Master-at- Arms awaits my command for further orders as he trains my men daily. My swords are yours to command!”

Willam nodded his approval & said “Lord Tallhart I would have you raise another hundred bowman for the same purpose. That should hold any push from the south by land. Maester Pelion have you sent the ravens to Lords Glover, Mormont, & Flint of Flint Fingers to fortify their holdings against the pirate Rolfe Pike? To also increase shore patrols & utilize signal fires as warnings of raids?”

The elderly thin man with the clinking of his many linked chain nodded & said “Milord I have & have not received any news in return. Save from the Commander of the Watch, Lord Jack Smallwood.”

“What news Maester?” asked Lord Willam

The Maester stated simply “Lord Smallwood states that Winterfell has naught to worry from beyond the Wall. No large bands of wildlings have been reported. A few raiders have tried Shadow gorge & have been dealt with. Rangers that trade with the clans report though some have heard of this Raymun none have seen him. They use him to scare their children to behaving. Only one repair party is over due. Lord Smallwood has sent Ser Arden Rosby & nine of his finest Rangers to bring them home. He assures you that these stories of Raymun Redbeard if true at all are inflated beyond reason!”

Lord Artos cleared his throat & spoke up “The land beyond the Wall is great indeed & the Watch has become too few. Rarely is it said that the rangers of Castle Black leave its walls. What does Lord Smallwood say to that?”

Maester Pelion states “Milord the Wall has withstood the dangers beyond it for 8,000 years. I hear it stands still. I’m sure Lord Smallwood is aware of this fact.”

Artos responded with an effort to remain calm “We shall see Maester & I hope you are right!”

Lord Willam held up a hand, it was his way of making a truce between them. “My brother will go north to seek news of this wildling King”

“Reputed King Milord” Maester Pelion interjected

Lord Bolton chimed in his agreement saying “I must agree with the good Maester. Why chase grumpkins & snarks when Lord Artos could ride west to chastise Rolfe Pike. I hear he has gained my sons support & 200 freeriders as well.” He eyed Lord Mathell Flint who tried to ignore his steely glance & failed.

Lord Mathell stated “Speaking of bandits Lord Bolton could take his own advice & see to….”

Lord Willam’s voice rose over all others “ENOUGH! This council will not be reduced to petty squabbles & feuds. Know that as Warden of the North I shall certainly see to these “bandits” if you two can not! I promise no kindness to those that I FIND! This I assure you. Now back to the topic at hand namely the gathering war to the south.”

It was Lord Tallheart who spoke & said “Milord the Greyjoys are liegemen to King Daeron are they not?”

“Yes Lord Tallheart” Willam replied.

Lord Tallheart proceeded “Then he should take care of the bandits of his realm as well. The Greyjoys including Pyke are his to command.”

Lord Willam smiled “Indeed. Artos you will go north as planned. Seek news of this wildling King Snark or no. Moat Caitlin & all harbors will be fortified. Lastly I will tell our guests that I have made my decision on which dragon to follow. I will of course follow my King but as I’m harried by possible invasion from all sides can not commit troops until all threats are dealt with. If the good King could assist me in this matter, as with the Ironmen raiders, I could respond the quicker! Yes I thank you Lords!”

A servant knocked then hastily entered the room and spoke with Lorrick Poole, Steward of Winterfell. Lorrick faced Lord Willam & Artos looking quite pale.

“Milord’s I… I…” he stuttered.

Lord Willam said with some frustration in his voice “OUT WITH IT MAN!”

Lorrick swallowed hard & said “Milord’s it would appear that the prisoner… Lord Artos’ prisoner has taken ill.”

Thanks Maester Luwin

Last edited:

Remove ads