[Actual Play AGoT] Swords of the North!

Maester Luwin

First Post
Session 4 part 2.

Lord Artos stood in the doorway of the prisoner’s cell & watched Maester Pelion at work. The prisoner appeared pale, his breath shallow, & his clothes stained with sweat. Maester Pelion removed the man’s tunic & inspected the man’s wound. Artos was aware that though there was some blood on the bandage the wound itself remained closed & clean, at least to his untrained eye. Artos could hear Ser Benton Cassel, Master-at-Arms at Winterfell questioning the guards posted at the door.

“Well speak for yourselves!” snapped Ser Benton.

The first guard seemed quite embarrassed & quiet but the other spoke with deference in his voice “By the Old Gods & the New we never left our post. And no one but the scullery maid who brought the prisoner’s food has entered that cell. The prisoner was indeed fine this morn when he broke his fast but by midday became quiet & when his supper was brought we found him like that! So deep in sleep we couldn’t wake him.”

Ser Benton’s stern gaze made both guards lower their eyes as the old warrior approached Lord Artos. He said “I know these men to be true Lord Artos. They’ve no cause to lie. No one save the girl could have gotten to him Milord.”

Artos nodded in agreement & asked the maester “Is his wound corrupt or does he suffer from some other sickness?”

Maester Pelion shook his head “Nay the wound is clean. Nor has it reopened. Though the damp cell is not conducive to good health, nor is it the breeding ground of illness. Though I can not say, without some doubt, it would be my opinion the man suffers from no disease. I know yet he sweats, his breathing is shallow, & his heart barely beats.”

Ser Benton stated what Artos was thinking & the Maester already implied “Poison then!”

Maester Pelion said matter of fact “It would appear so.”

A woman’s voice from behind the men made them turn around at once to see Mistress Helga standing there with Lorrick Poole-Artos had sent for her for just this reason.
“I would have a look at him Lord Artos!” Helga said

Maester Pelion had a look of disdain upon his wrinkled face but said nothing as Artos & Ser Benton stepped aside to let the wildling in. Helga was wise in the ways of nature & plant lore. She knew of many herbs that could be used for just such a purpose. Magda may your wisdom be with me now she thought.

The body of the man was sweaty but cold to the touch. Pale skin & eyes rolled back in his head. He barely breathed as his chest rose up & down slowly. She had no doubt as the wound looked good enough. There was only one hope for one such as he. If the Wolfswood was like her native forest beyond the Wall it might hold the answer!
“Lord Artos I will need my garron saddled & made ready. I will take Mull & Varly with me as well!”

Artos said “it is late Helga. Can’t it wait until the morrow?”

“It can but he can not!” Helga said.

Artos with concern in his voice stated “At least take Donnel. I’ll send for him.”

Helga shook her head “No milord. I want my own men. Karstark men.” Helga looked toward the Maester & said “Men I trust!”

Artos was a stubborn man but he knew his match with Helga. He could order Donnel to go with her but there was no need. “Very well. Lorrick see that the Master of horse knows of Helga’s needs & summon the Karstark guardsmen at once!”

Lorrick Poole, quite pale himself, stammered “Yes Milord.” Then he was gone.

Helga followed quickly at his heels. Artos shouted “Have care Helga!”

“I’m probably safer in the woods than you are within these walls” she shouted back!

Maester Pelion cleared his voice to let Artos know he was still there.

“Yes Maester?” Artos asked without looking at the man.

“I may yet be of service Milord. I have an elixir that will not cure the man within but might slow the poison enough to give the… wildling time. And with your permission would like to question the kitchen staff myself to see what may be seen.”

Ser Benton quiet all this time puffed out his chest & stood a little taller “That would be my job Maester Pelion. If it please you Milord I could get some answers & quickly!”

Maester Pelion said with quiet determination “This may be true Lord Artos but I would draw less attention. The staff may be more open & at ease with an old man such as I.”

Artos without further thought said as he made his way up the dungeon steps “See to it Maester & Ser Benton no one is to go into that man’s cell but me, you, the Maester & Helga upon her return!”

Ser Benton snapped to attention & said “YES MILORD!” However, Artos ever the implacable was already gone!
Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here is the meeting between Lord Artos & Septon Heward (& where Lord Artos will need the Old Gods & the New to get him out of this one!) Thanks Maester Luwin

Septon Heward waited for Lord Artos' return. He knew Artos had gone to check on his prisoner. The Septon wanted to discuss the possible union between the Lord & Lady Ismerria Manderly. He knew that Artos would no doubt be wary of the proposal. If only he could state all the benefits of such a union. A small holdfast as well as a ship named The Maiden of the Sea as dowry but this alone would not be enough the Septon knew. However, Ser Brandel had offered his support & that of his twenty men-at-arms for now & promises of ships/ men from his father, Lord Manderly. This would be of more import to the implacable lord.

Then there was Lady Ismerria herself. A beautiful woman, who would be wise council as well. Not to mention that measure of respectability he would gain having a proper wife (coupling with a wildling – Mother’s mercy!). Ismerria was not only a proper lady but was also of the proper faith. There was hope that the crone would one day touch Lord Artos with the wisdom of proper faith! If not the Lord then perhaps the children they would have together (his bastard was too entrenched in the Old Faith the Septon knew). It was not long when the good Septon heard the footfalls of the implacable lord.

Lord Artos was aware of the Septon when he reached the top of the stairs. I’m in no mood for conversation he thought. He nodded to the Septon & prepared to push on by. A voice stopped him with a sigh!

“Lord Artos may I have a word?” the Septon asked.

Without turning Lord Artos said “I’m in no mood for conversation- polite or otherwise Septon!”

The Septon had expected as much but he had cards yet to play! “I know you are busy my Lord may the Mother grant you mercy! However, Lord Karlon bid me speak with you. It of course can wait if you feel it is unimportant Milord.”

Lord Artos rolled his eyes. Lord Karlon was not only his liegeman, but also his friend. “Very well Septon. But if I remember correctly Lord Karlon is a man of few words.”

Septon frowned “Alas that is true. He wishes you to know that he awaits you with open arms. He has sent riders to the Wall to seek advice of the Lord Commander on this wildling Raymun. No doubt that is the reason for this message by raven to Lord Willam. I must warn you that Lord Karlon, while a trusted friend, does not share your view on this wildling threat. It appears to me that he worries more for the crops to be harvested with the coming of Winter than wildlings beyond the Wall.”

Lord Artos turned slowly around “What do you worry of Septon? What say you about Raymun Redbeard?”

The Septon sighed & said “The Crone states a wise man is a cautious man Milord. And Lord Karlon is not opposed to advice wisely given. If he sees you have the backing of other Lords how could he dismiss this Raymun out of hand. How you make your allies now Milord may well prove a boon on the morrow. Rumor has it that Lord Bolton’s son rides with you. You may also find allies among the Manderlys Milord!”

Artos brows furrowed in suspicion as he said “What of the Manderlys Septon Heward?”

Septon Heward seeing his opening pressed on “Milord I am privy to information pertaining to the Manderlys. It would appear that Lord Manderly wishes to join both houses with a proposal of marriage. There would be a sizeable dowry but more importantly promises of military support- men & ships you may need.”

Artos frowned deepened as he stated “Edwyle is young yet but his father is to who you should be speaking Septon!”

Septon Heward shook his head “Mother’s mercy but I’ve been unclear Milord it is you & Lady Ismerria that will be joined!”

Artos scowl was so fierce that a lesser man would have fled before him but bolstered by his faith Septon Heward met his eyes & said “You will find that the Old Gods & the New will bless this union. I know this comes suddenly & you are overwrought but she would be an asset to you & your bother. The Manderlys are a powerful house & their loyalty will be assured by this union. The North’s ships lie in their harbor. Their house produces the finest knights of the North. All these things you will need isolated at Karhold. Ser Brandel offers to ride with you with his men-at-arms & the promise of bringing fifty knights & as many heavy horse on your ship to Karhold within a moonturn or so!”

Artos barely able to speak “Septon Heward you know my feelings on marriage. I have been cleverly ambushed tonight as if by Raymun Redbeard himself! I will need time to think on this. I promise you this- a Stark will marry Lady Ismerria wither myself, Edwyle, or Jasson!” Artos stomped off without another word.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Another update wherein Helga searches for a cure in the Wolfswood. Thanks Maester Luwin

As Helga made her way across the court yard to the stables with the stomping sounds of the guardsmen for company she heard a familiar voice from behind. Rickon Karstark called out “Going somewhere Mistress?”

Helga ever to the point states “Out hunting. I’m looking for something in particular. It’s called by the Free People Darkhood for its color & shape. Are you familiar with the woods nearby?”

Rickon shrugged “Not too different from the forests around Karhold. Daveth has been scouting. I’ll speak with him if you like?”

Helga smiled “I would be grateful for your help & Daveth’s!”

Rickon said “I will be back. Ask the stable boys to saddle our garrons. We’ll watch your back this eve!”

In a few hours Helga & the guardsmen were out in the Wolfswood searching for the plant. Daveth had indeed seen such a plant when looking for the escaped freerider. In the end Rickon & Daveth had decided to remain behind in case Helga was followed (the wildling was becoming quite paranoid). Though the moon was full the light was still poor. The plant grew at the base of Sentinel trees, in the shade. The tall trees about them further dampened their efforts. Every hour spent in the search could mean death for the prisoner.

After some time the plant was found. Now to just get it back to the castle. One of the guardsmen shouted out “Mistress a rider comes!”

Helga & the guardsmen were halfway to the Kingsroad leading their garrons before them when they heard the horses. Mull called out a warning & everyone froze. The riders pulled up & slowed down. Helga bid the guardsmen to hang back while she quietly moved ahead. Her footsteps made no sound as she moved toward the road. Once there, under the cover of the foliage she spied the two riders who appeared not to have noticed her. A smile crept across her face as she recognized the riders. Rickon & Daveth were scouting for tracks, their tracks.

Helga stepped out & said “Lose something?”

Rickon spun around hand dropping to his sword. “Mistress Helga?”

“In the flesh” Helga spouted back.

“Mistress a score of riders have left Castle Winterfell & come this way!” Rickon said pointing up the road.

“After me?” asked Helga

Rickon only shrugged & said “No way to tell for sure.”

Daveth snorted & spat redleaf juice “Why take chances I’m think’n!”

Helga said “Right! Rickon take my horse & the guardsmen with you up the road a few miles then double back when you can. The riders should follow.”

Rickon with a troubled look said “What of you Mistress?”

Helga smiled & winked at him “The Freefolk are fleet of foot & I’m quiet as well. My guess is if I stay to the woods & out of sight I should be back before you. Now gather the guardsmen & worry none for me.”

Helga moved a hundred paces down the road but still hidden from sight. She heard Rickon & the men ride off. Not long after the other riders came into view. All dark cloaked against the night’s chill. However, with a gust of wind & in the light of the moon she caught a glimpse of color. The crimson & white of the Raven’s Teeth… The Bloodraven’s personal guard!

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here is the late night meeting of brothers about brothers! Thanks Maester Luwin

Artos was angry as he made his way to his brother’s room. After checking in on Jasson & assuring himself of his son’s safety, Artos found sleep wouldn’t come. He knew his brother would be up as well. Too many irons in the fire for the lord to ponder he thought. The guards outside only nodded & waved him inside.

Lord Willam set at his desk pouring over letters, messages, & scrolls with a variety of seals & the oil in the lantern beside him had burnt low. To Artos his brother looked tired & in need of rest himself. He was mumbling to himself while mulling over some strategy or another. Artos cleared his throat to announce his presence.

Lord Willam looked up with weary eyes & said “Ah brother do come in. I’m afraid I have some more bad news.”

Artos made his way to the chair across from his brother & said “Has Septon Heward spoken with you then?”

Willam nodded “But that is not the news I speak of.” Willam held up a message
with the Lannister’s seal fixed to it. “It appears the brothers' Lannister would join the tourney if we would only delay it a day or two. This letter was sent from Moat Caitlin & arrived this morning. Ser Brynden says I should allow them to join. What say you?”

Artos frowned & said “I hold no love for the Lannisters. Having them arrive so close to their coins which filled those freerider’s pockets I like lest of all. However, Lord Damon is a powerful man at court. He would certainly take it as a slight to his honor if we refuse them. If I know you though, you’ve found a way to turn this to your advantage!”

Willam smiled “Why brother you wrong me! But since they come wanted or no I find no reason to ignore any advantage we may have over them. My friends at court say there is no love lost between them. The younger is jealous of the eldest. He feels he the better man to succeed his father. The elder is envious of his brother’s prowess at arms being a dwarf. Together they would have made the perfect man. However, apart they present Lord Damon with the problem of in fighting & backstabbing.”

Artos with his frown lessening somewhat said “And the younger, Gerold, holds knighthood in contempt if I remember correctly.”

Willam nodded in agreement “Wouldn’t you if you heard in every whisper how your brother’s knighthood was bought with your father’s gold & not earned at the tilts or upon the field of battle?”

Artos' smile began to win the battle with his frown “I have a plan of my own brother if you’ll hear it?”

Willam said “Go on brother.”

Artos leaned forward & said “What if the Wall should meet this Gerold during the tilts. Ser Cregan holds his knighthood as nearly a holy thing & Gerold could no doubt raise his ire with the right prompting! Mayhaps they could kill one another & make our lives the easier.”

Willam could not help laughing out loud “Brother, brother, brother! You’ve made me proud this eve! Let Lorrick see to it if you will. Now about this proposal of marriage?”

Artos’ smile was now in full retreat “The marriage would make our houses stronger no doubt. I’ve never considered marriage though. What would you have me do?”

Willam made a steeple of his hands & leaned back in his chair “Lord Manderly is a good man & Ismerria comely enough. The Bloodraven mentioned Lord Tully having a daughter or two that could make a match. His interests’ lies in joining North & South together thus making the Kingdom stronger. No doubt it doesn’t hurt that Lord Maegar holds Daeron the rightful King. But does this union make the North stronger. Perhaps in the long run but now Manderly’s offer seems more prudent. But know I value you not only as my brother but as my right hand Artos. You have served me loyally & I would not force a marriage to any woman upon you. The choice is yours to make & yours alone.”

Artos rose from his chair “Well it seems we both have a lot to think upon. It is late & a little sleep would do neither of us any harm.” Artos turned to leave but stopped at the door & without turning said “Willam?”

Willam, ignoring his brother’s advice, began to sift through the papers once more answered “Yes my brother?”

Artos said simply “Thank you… for everything.”

Willam looked up prepared to answer but found himself once again alone & lost in his thoughts…

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Helga returns but is she in time? Thanks Maester Luwin

Helga made her way quickly & quietly through the woods. Castle Winterfell soon loomed before her. The guards at the gatehouse looked somewhat confused at her arriving alone & on foot but waved her through none the less. She made her way to the Grand Hall & sent word to fetch Lorrick Poole, Steward of Winterfell. Soon the thin & proper steward was leading the wildling to the Maester’s Tower.

Helga watched with some suspicion as the Maester boiled the plant’s bulb in a mixture of wine & water. This would be given to the prisoner whose life hung in the balance. Once the mixture was complete the maester & wildling made their way to the dungeon & the prisoner. He appeared to be barely clinging to life. His breathing was even more shallow than before.

Maester Pelion stated matter of fact “I gave him an elixir that has slowed his heart. Otherwise he would have been dead already.”

Helga nodded toward the prisoner & said “Will he live?”

“Too early to tell really” the maester replied. “He will most likely remain in the deep sleep for some time.”

Helga was tired. She needed rest. “Very well let me know of any changes & tell Maester Quelion I would like to see him on the morrow.”

The Maester nodded & said “Very well Mistress.” His steel grey eyes watched her leave without any hint of emotion.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here Artos finds out the pairings for the tourney.*

Artos knew that Lorrick Poole would be drawing lots for the upcoming tourney this morning. He had not slept well. There was no change in the prisoner. Maester Pelion had questioned the kitchen staff. What he found only raised more questions than answers. Beside the scullery maid herself, others were also in the kitchen that morning. The pages of the following houses were there gathering food for their lords: House Dustin; House Crewyn; House Talltree; & House Bolton. Nymeros Martell, whose uncle is known as the Black Scorpion for dipping his spear in a poison similar to the one effecting the freerider, was there to “say goodbye” to the scullery maid. Lord Butterwell’s creature Orrin “Clubfoot” was their for his master’s breakfast. Likewise Ser Brynden’s squire was there as was his Lady, Shiera. Lady Stark also had access to the kitchen. Any or all could have done this thing. Merely to keep this man quiet.

While mulling this over in his mind Artos realized he had reached his destination. Lorrick Poole, Winterfell’s Steward, looked somewhat nervous upon seeing lord Artos. “Milord Ser Brynden has just left. He wished to be here for the drawing of the lots” the steward said. “I am afraid I have some bad news Lord Artos.”

Artos just rolled his eyes & stated with some irritation “This seems commonplace these days Steward… pray continue.”

Lorrick Poole’s hand shook as he showed Lord Artos the lists & stuttered “I… I… I had no opportunity to change it Milord while The Bloodraven looked over my shoulder. Please accept my apologies Milord.”

Artos snatched the parchment from the steward’s shaky hand, his fury growing! Artos read over the lists, his eyes stopping once he spotted a particular pairing. For there on the paper was the unthinkable- Ronnel Bolton vs. Ser Martyn Flint! Artos couldn’t believe it.

Trying to head off his Lord’s rage Lorrick stated hopefully “It was done by chance Milord but yet there is hope!”

Artos with anger in his voice nearly shouted “What hope do you speak of? Mayhap they should kill one another privately before the tourney rather than before thousands?”

“No… no Milord! Pray look for your own name Lord Artos” Lorrick stated with some apprehension.

Artos again viewed the parchment & found his name, a small smile forming on his lips. The pairing couldn’t have been better- Lord Artos Stark vs. Lord Nestor Butterwell!

“I am afraid his shield was placed in the drawing by mistake… I was sure I held it to the side” said the steward.

Artos handed the parchment back to the steward & said "See this is posted & make sure The Hand knows of this. It is his tourney after all!” Artos must seek out the Flints & assure them that this will be changed.

*For the tourney I used the shields/ crests for all the noble houses which I cut out. I then mixed them up & paired them by drawing the crests one by one face down then matched them. Ser Cregan & Gerold Lannister didn't have Crests so I paired them together(since Artos had planned this already). Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here is where Jasson must decide whether he will travel North or South.

Jasson was bored. Since the night in the Godswood Jasson thought of himself as a prisoner. With Little William for company he tried to rest. Sleep was hard coming with dreams filled with shadows, dragons, & Freeswords with steel in hand. With the early morning sunlight to greet him he heard a soft knock at his door. Little William rose to his feet sword lose in his scabbard & stated “Whose thar!”

From the other side of the door came a familiar voice “It’s me Little William.” Jasson recognized his mother’s voice but Little William was taking no chances since the attempted abduction.

“I don’t know no me! If’n ye have a name state it now o’ go away. Makes me no mind!” Said the giant guardsmen. Jasson was about to chime in but truthfully was enjoying the situation to no end.

“Little William if you don’t let me in I’ll have your hide & heart!” Helga shouted back.

Little William looking a little forlorn lifted the bar & opened the lock all while saying ‘Sorry Mistress Helga. Didn’t mean no harm. Jus keeping Jas safe I am.”

Helga walked past the guardsman & noting the smile on her son’s face said “I had news for you but now I’m unsure you deserve it!”

Jasson smiled all the bigger & said “Come now mother. Tell me this news.”

Helga spoke frankly “Know that your father & I have decided to let you decide whether you stay with us or go south with the Bloodraven.”

Jasson thought for a moment then said “I thought you &… father didn’t trust Ser Brynden. And what of Lady Shiera?”

Helga sat next to Jasson & said “I do not trust them. Nor does your father. In fact there are few I trust in this place. However, you will soon have your twelfth name day & are nearly a man grown. I feel the decision should be yours. Know this that if you decide not to go you have nothing to fear. This I assure you.”

Jasson said “I’ve already thought on it mother. I’ve decided not to go if it’s my choice.”

Helga stood quickly & said “The choice is indeed yours my son, that I assure you!”

Jasson held up one hand then said “But I want Lady Sheria to know that I will remember her words… ‘When you are ready you need only call upon me & I will be there’. Will you tell her that?”

Helga swallowed hard then answered “If that’s your wish. I must go see Maester Quelion but know I’m proud of you Jasson Snow!”

Jasson smiled back & said “So I can leave my room now?”

They both laughed out loud. All the while Little William scratched his head & wondered what was so funny. For he was lost in their conversation, right after Miss Helga said she had news in fact!

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! A short meeting between Maester Quelion & Helga concerning a certain artifact. Thanks Maester Luwin

Helga, quite happy with Jasson's decision, awaited Maester Quelion's arrival for Jasson's lessons. The thin young Maester wasn't long in coming. He looked tired & in need of rest. He carried no weapons but 3-4 heavy books.

Helga stepped out to greet the maester "Greetings Maester Quelion."

Somewhat startled Maester Quelion said "Oh! Mistress Helga. Good morning! I trust young Snow is well?’

Helga said with a slight smile “For once, yes Maester. However, I have a question or two before the lesson if you please.”

Maester Quelion became a little defensive & stated “If this is about the Isle of Skagos I assure you I…”

Helga held up a hand to cut the Maester off “No Maester! This concerns Lady Shiera & her reading. Does she still frequent the library?”

Maester Quelion nodded & said “Why yes Mistress. She yet reads about dragons & of late the history of the Targaryen Dragons. It seems a waste to me Mistress the dragons of Westeros are long dead. She is a queer one. Should I continue to… keep watch?”

Helga now curious stated “Yes Maester but do not be obvious! No need to draw attention.”

Maester Quelion agreed with a quick bow said “Of course Mistress. Oh I have a question for you as well. What know you of the weapon Siegehammer?”

Helga shook her head “Nothing Maester… nothing at all.”

Maester Quelion’s face became concerned “Mistress this is what I have been researching since coming to Winterfell. I found it indeed exists. It predates the First Men & may be of the Children’s make. The writings are unclear. However, it would appear it is of the same status as the Horn of Winter.”

Helga shrugged “So! How does this concern me?”

Maester Quelion nervously wet his lips & said “It may aid Raymun in his invasion Mistress.”

Helga ever to the point said “How!”

Maester Quelion stated “Forgive me but legend states that anyone with giant’s blood that wields Siegehammer may smash any portal struck by such. From description Raymun has the size of a giant does he not?”

Helga now the nervous one swallowed hard & said “From all I’ve heard perhaps.”

Maester Quelion stated “Mistress its last known location was with a First Man king who may have had his fortress on or about the Fist of the First Men. Do you know of this place?”

Helga nodded “Yes. I’ve heard of it. Good luck on your search Maester. You should speak to Lord Artos of this.”

Maester Quelion nodded still with some concern in his eyes “Yes Mistress. I shall. I shall also keep watch on our friend.”

But Helga was already gone.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here is Artos' meeting with Lord Mathell Flint. Where he uses his influence & Lord Mathell gets to see why Artos is known as the Implacable!

Lord Artos was not long looking as Lord Mathell Flint appeared to be heading straight for him. Lord Artos thought he appeared to be in a good humor.

Artos nodded to the Lord of Widow's Watch & said “Lord Mathell it’s good to see you! May I have a word with you?”

Lord Mathell was all smiles & said “But of course Lord Artos. I was on my way to thank you for the pairing of my son & that cad Ronnel Bolton! It would appear that we shall finally meet the scoundrel on equal footing!”

Lord Artos knew he had some work ahead of him now. He smiled & said “That would indeed be justice Lord Mathell but I’m afraid there may be changes in the lists. Lord Butterwell, while scheduled to ride, will be most likely unable to attend the lists. In fact I’m on my way to see him now.”

Lord Mathell’s good mood disappeared most quickly “Do you mean that my son & Ronnel will not ride against one another?”

Artos answered with all the tact he could muster “Lord Mathell there will be a chance though it appears a slim one at best. If Lord Butterwell is unable to sit a horse then the lots must be redrawn. It would be improper for me to take a bye. Please accept my apologies.”

Lord Mathell’s rage appeared barely contained “To some it may appear that you & your house may be siding with the Boltons Lord Artos. I hope this is not so.”

Now Lord Artos' ire was rising & he said “Lord Mathell some may think what they will. A smart man would know with war breaking out to the south, wildlings gathering to the north, & Ironmen raiding our western shore that House Stark & the North could ill afford their own lords feuding at this time. The lots will be drawn by chance Lord Mathell but if I could I would see to it that your son & Ronnel Bolton would never meet. A stray lance, a slight lowering of one’s shield, or a stumble of a horse could mean a man’s life. A man’s life may cause a war. A war may cause the very weakness Daemon requires to set his sites on my brother’s land. Now Lord Mathell I again offer my apologies before the Old Gods & the New. I’ll ask you once more if you as my brother’s liegeman will accept them!?”

Lord Mathell paled a bit & lowered his eyes “Nay Lord Artos it is I that should apologize to you. House Flint will do whatever is required no matter the sacrifice asked of them. I ask only that you & your brother will see to the proper justice for the Boltons when the time comes.”

Artos clasped the man’s shoulder & said “No apology required Lord Mathell. I knew my brother & I could count on you!”

Lord Artos headed straight to the Great Hall & Lord Butterwell’s suite! He never looked back. Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Here's what Donnel has been up to!

Donnel had been a very busy man. He was under orders from Lord Artos to observe the various freeriders & sellswords. Lord Artos wanted a few extra swords he could depend on during his trek north. Donnel had picked out 4-5 men that might do. Donnel would want Ser Benton Cassel’s opinion as well. Being the Stark’s Master-at-Arms his experience would be invaluable where picking & training new men were concerned. However, this wasn’t Donnel’s only duty. He was to use his eyes & ears to pick up rumors or tales concerning Jasson’s attempted abduction or the Lannister’s coin. It was a late afternoon when word came that a group of swell swords were gambling/ arm wrestling at the Smoking Log & were sporting gold coins!

Donnel came through the back door & after a brief protest from the cook made his way to the bar & the proprietor of the Smoking Log, Mart Brewer.

Donnel nodded toward the sellsword’s table & asked “How long have they been at it?”

Mart smiled & said “The biggun’s been here afore noon n’ so far no one’s been able to best him. He’s nay paid fer a drink yet!”

Donnel smiled & observed for a while. The man was big enough alright. His buddies were cheering him on. There was a pile of silver before him but no gold was showing. His arm was strong & there were few taking up his offer to arm wrestle for drink or coin. Donnel had a plan.

He turned to Mart & said “Mart my friend I’ll need a favor. I’ll join my friend there but I’ll buy our first round. I’ll take the special vintage, the one easy on a man’s head & my friend will need something a little stronger if you don’t mind.”

Mart winked at him “I understand Donnel. I’ll send Wilma on over in half a moment if’n it please ya!”

Donnel smiled & winked back “That will please me just fine ole friend!”

Donnel walk over to the sellsword’s table trying to look unassuming. His buddies were well into their cups; in fact one was face down upon the table. Donnel nodded to the empty chair across from the sellsword & asked “This seat taken?”

The big sellsword said “Naw! Sit down! Want to try your luck?”

Donnel smiled & said “If you don’t mind?”

The sellsword said “Always ready t’ make a new friend or two. Me name’s Luther… Luther Brawn! Now who might you be?”

Donnel tried to remember anything he might have heard of the man & nothing bad came to mind. Donnel said “Donnel… Donnel of Long Lake at your service.”

Luther’s smile faded & his eyes held some suspicion as he asked “You be a wolf cub then?”
Donnel smiled & stated easily “Yes. I’m Lord Willam’s man & my silver spends as well as anyone’s. I’ve taken the liberty of buying the first round.” Donnel spotted Wilma making her way over with two mugs. Donnel winked at her. She placed the mugs before each man & smiled at Donnel before leaving.

Luther eyed the mug before him & then looked Donnel in the eye “So Donnel… well met!” Luther then drained his mug in four big gulps. He shook his head as if to clear it & said “Let’s see some of Lord Willam’s silver then!” He smiled broadly & placed a massive arm on the table top & nodded toward Donnel.

Donnel sipped his wine & found it suitably watered down. Donnel then poured the contents of his purse on the table. Twenty silver Stags glinted in the firelight. Donnel said “Can you cover such a bet?”

Luther nodded toward his pile & said “Aye! Your hand if ya please!”

Donnel grasped Luther’s hand. His grip was a strong one. One of Luther’s fellows said “Steady now. One. Two. Three n’ go!”

Donnel held for a moment but then his arm made a slow steady progress toward the table top. Donnel’s arm landed with a thunk!

Donnel rubbed his arm as Luther raked in the coins into his already growing pile. Donnel motioned toward Wilma & another round. Donnel cleared his throat & said “Luther you are mighty indeed. However, I would like another chance to win my silver back. My purse is empty though. I have this to wager.” Donnel reached into his belt & withdrew a castle forged dagger of good steel.

Donnel said “The dagger is worth more than all that silver put together. Do you have more to add into the ante?”

Luther eyed the dagger with some avarice & said “Thar’s enough silver I’m think’n!”

Wilma set two more mugs down & said “On your tab Donnel?”

Donnel said “But of course. Now if you have something more to offer I’ll go another round but if not I’ll finish my wine & bid you good evening.”

Luther threw back the second mug & wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Awright! This should cover the difference!” Luther reached into his pouch & threw a golden Dragon on the table but unfortunately only the front with King Daeron’s profile was exposed.

Donnel took another sip of his wine & said “A most generous offer friend Luther! Shall we?” Donnel held his hand out & placed his elbow on the table. Donnel noticed his opponent’s eyes were more blurry & his grip a bit weaker. He was still formidable though.

Luther’s friend again signaled the twain to start. Luther again came on strong & tried for a quick victory. This time, however, Donnel held & waited for Luther to spend his strength against his immovable arm. Luther grunted & beads of sweat appeared on his brow but between the fortified wine & his previous contests of strength Luther labored beyond his means. Donnel felt him give & could see the surprise in his eyes. Donnel slowly brought his arm down until it slammed into the table. Luther was in shock indeed! Unable to move save to rub his arm.

Donnel gathered the coins before him. In the end he left the sellsword five silver Stags to drown his sorrows.

Donnel said “Luther Brawn you are a worthy opponent. If you seek employment seek me at Castle Winterfell.”

Luther looked up & said “I’m ta win the tourney on the morrow. With all that gold I’ll not need yer job. But thank ye jus the same!”

Donnel left by the kitchen door but not before giving Mart & Wilma a few Stags for their trouble. On his way out he turned the golden coin over & there big as Ser Cregan himself was the Lion Rampart!

Thanks Maester Luwin

Remove ads