[Actual Play AGoT] Swords of the North!

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! Lord Artos meets the Hand to discuss plans. Thanks Maester Luwin

Artos knew that Lord Butterwell had no intention of riding in the lists. He also knew that he could use this to his advantage. The only thing that bothered him was dealing with the man himself. Upon arriving at the suites of The Hand Lord Artos was met by his servant Orrin. Something about the man made Artos' skin crawl but he couldn’t place it.

Orrin bowed & said “Do come in My Lord. Lord Butterwell is expecting you.”

Artos thought ‘I bet he has.’ He pushed by the bowing servant & made his way to the Lord himself. Lord Butterwell was sitting in a comfortable chair with his right foot soaking in hot water. He was sipping on a glass of wine.

Artos said with a slight nod of his head “My Lord Hand. I must have a word with you. I hope I am not disturbing you?”

Lord Butterwell stuttered & said “N-n- no Lord Artos. But of course not! Do come in! Might I offer you a glass of wine… from the Arbor you know.”

Lord Artos nodded his head & said “Thank you Milord. It would appear you are suffering Lord Hand?”

Lord Butterwell nearly spilled his wine while he said “Oh nothing to fear my dear Artos. Just a touch of gout I’m afraid. It should be fine in a few days I am certain. Clubfoot another glass of wine for Lord Artos if you please! Just a moment my friend, please have a seat.”

Artos smiled & said “My thanks Lord. Sorry to hear about your… illness my Lord. Is it painful?”

Lord Butterwell lifted his foot from the steaming bowl & winced appropriately “Oh this. Why yes… yes but I will muddle through. However I’m afraid I shall not be able to ride on the morrow, though I was so looking forward to crossing lances with you. Knowing you for the honorable man that you are, I am sure you will allow me to withdraw from the lists.”

Clubfoot entered the room with a glass of Arbor wine & nodding to Artos “Milord.”

Artos thanked Clubfoot “Milord I am afraid that will not be easy. Lorrick Poole has already drawn up the brackets. The lists have already been posted. Withdrawing now might appear somewhat… .”

Lord Butterwell puffed up & blustered “Are you challenging my courage Lord Artos!?”

Lord Artos, trying to hide a smile & barely succeeding “Of course not Lord Hand. However I am not certain everyone knows you as well as I Milord. I will do what I can.”

Lord Butterwell “I know you will Artos. I will leave it in your capable hands. My foot will prevent me from riding none the less. The others will understand if you intercede on my behalf. You are known for your honesty after all.”

Artos sipped his wine & said “ This vintage is from the Arbor Milord?”

Lord Butterwell smugly said “Yes… but of course. Quite rare these days you know.”

Artos sipped his wine hiding his smile with his glass said “It would appear so… everywhere but here & the Arbor.”

Lord Butterwell brows furrowed in thought as he replied “Just a few bottles I had put aside for rainy days you know. My Maester states it has great healing properties where gout is concerned I might add.”

Artos placed his glass on the table & said “I will speak to Lorrick Poole Lord Hand. I will see that your name is removed from the lists. However my Lord Hand I hope your gout has improved to ride in the hunt. I am afraid I could not aid you from the idle whisperings if you should miss both events.”

Lord Butterwell sighed with relief & said “You have my gratitude Lord Artos. I am sure my foot will be quite fine in time for the hunt. Yes indeed. For your wedding as well. Lady Ismerria might need someone to walk her down the isle you know. A fine catch I must add. Septon Heward will be so happy you know. A fine man for sure!”

Lord Artos bowed & said “We shall see My Lord. We shall see.”

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone. The meeting of cousins! Thanks Maester Luwin

Jasson couldn’t believe another visitor was at his door. The knock was a soft one. He barely heard it. Little William was up from his chair by the door. His big hand already reaching for the hilt of his sword. “Whose thar?” he boomed!

The voice on the other side of the door was a timid one. “Edwyle… Edwyle Stark.”

Little William snorted & said “Yeah n’ I’m the Princess of Dorne!” Little William looked at Jasson & winked.

Jasson shook his head & said “Little William I think its okay.”

Little William crossed his massive arms cross his barrel chest & shook his head “Naw Jas! I was fooled one time but nay today!”

Jasson was about to say something else when another voice shouted out beyond the door “Open the door ye oaf this be Edwyle Stark... heir to Winterfell and he’s here to see Jasson Snow!”

Little William’s brow furrowed in thought. Jasson thought it looked painful. Without removing his arms from his chest, he threw back his head & said “Nice try but changin’ yer voice wont fool me none. N’ whose ah oaf!”

There were some curses from more than one voice outside the door but it was the soft timid one that spoke next “I assure you I am Edwyle Stark. I have come to see my cousin Jasson… Jasson Snow. I understand that you are doing your job but it is important that I see him. Now I promise no harm will befall him… Little William is it?”

Little William said “What ye think Jas?”

Jasson said “It’s alright William. Let him in please.”

Little William unbarred the door & opened it. The boy standing there had the features of a Stark, though he was an extremely thin & pale. His cheeks were high & shallow. His body appeared frail but Jasson saw strength of will in his eyes. Jasson bowed & said “Welcome Milord.”

Edwyle said “You need not be so formal cousin. I came to see you… to talk to you… if you don’t mind?”

Jasson nodded & said “No… no I don’t mind. Do come in.”

Edwyle appeared a little nervous to Jasson as he looked behind him & said “I… I can’t stay long but I spoke to your father yestereve & his words held wisdom.”

Jasson swallowed hard & said “Go on.”

Edwyle coughed & cleared his throat “He stated a hope that we would get to know one another. To become friends. He has served my father faithfully & my father could not manage the North without him. I’m smart enough to know I’ll never be a warrior. Your father, uncle Artos, said though this was true I was already becoming a man grown by knowing my weaknesses & facing them head on. Of the two... the wise ruler is better than the strong ruler. He said you could one day serve me like he has served my father. Artos says Stark blood flows in your veins. I know you do not know me well nor I you but this could be the beginning. What say you Jasson Snow?”

Jasson was stunned but the words came anyway “Yes… yes I would aid you if I can. But I’m just a boy. Twelve my next name day. How may I be of service?”

Edwyle coughed again & Jasson saw a slight shiver but he smiled just the same “You have already begun… aiding me I mean. Just by listening. Maester Pelion said my mother will have no more children. I’ll never have a brother. You are fit & hale. Already nearly my size though I have three years on you. I will need someone strong that I can trust. Uncle Artos said I can trust you & I believe him!”

Edwyle held out a pale hand to his cousin & Jasson took it & said “Cousin I will serve you to the best of my abilities!”

Edwyle said "Please accept these as a sign of our new bond. Thomen please bring the gifts.”

A burly guardsman in Stark livery brought in a bundle covered with a blanket & laid it on Jasson’s bed. Edwyle uncovered it to reveal a beautiful set of ringmail finely made & darkened a deep blue. A finely made sword lay next to the armor. It had the Stark’s smith mark. The edge was sharp.

Edwyle coughed again & said “They are mine… made for me. They will serve me the better if you will wear & wield them in my stead… in my service. Take them for an early Naming Day present. I must go now but I will see you again. Perhaps you will honor me by sitting with me at the lists?”

Jasson’s eyes never left his gifts & nodded “Yes & the honor is mine Mi… I mean cousin!”

The boys eyes met as Edwyle was leaving & they laughed!

Thanks Maester Luwin

Maester Luwin

First Post
Lady Shiera sat in the Stark's library pouring over tomes & scrolls yellowed with age. She was an elegant woman of the King's own court. Her beauty was widely known & rumored to be perserved by dark arts. That she was the Bloodraven's half sister was also known. Yet it was said that they shared more than the same lineage... & gossip. Some whispered... behind their backs of course... they shared a common bed!

Her silver gold hair fell gently about her slender shoulders. In the latern light it shimered with nearly a life of its own. Her right eyebrow arched ever so sightly... for she was no longer alone...

Ser Bryden Rivers, otherwise known as the Bloodraven, moved as quietly as the night wind. His boots made no hint of sound. He went wrapped in crimmson & grey as he weaved his way through the shadows. His ability to appear suddenly unseen or unheard by men gave rumor that he himself dabled in the dark arts. Tonight was no different... he walked on... unnoticed by the guards & servants of House Stark... into the very heart of Lord Willam's castle. To the library. To his meeting with Lady Shiera...

"Do come in Ser." Lady Shiera nearly purred. She gently sat the aged book down upon the table before her.

She slowly stood... turned... smiled.

If the Bloodraven smiled no one could see... his face hiidden by the cowl of his gray cloak & the shadows within. He stopped short of the beautiful woman before him but did not speak.

She walked slowly forward. Her lips pursed in a pout "Come now... you must guess at what I have found... no?"

He nodded but said not a word.

Shiera looked within the dark confines of his hood, her green & blue mismatched eyes sparkled "They are not some mummer's tale afterall. Stark's tomes confirm what I have already learned in King's Landing."

The man before her stood stood still... surrounded in shadow & silence.

Lady Shiera chuckled "At Dragonstone. Baelor is away... in the Stormlands. Gathering knights for Daeron. And... " She paused a heartbeat looking into the depths of shadow within the cowl.

"And... Quickfingers awaits our bidding. Shall we send a raven? If we could.... "

Finally sound came from the cowl... from the shadows there... in the form of a hiss "Snow! We must have Snow."

She continued as if he had not spoken "... obtain the eggs then none could stand before us. Snow will come. He must... if he is to face what awaits him to the North. Even the savage will see this in time. I have planted the seed. It will grow.... it will blossom like the dark flowers of Quarth!"

The Bloodraven turned & walked silently to the door before stopping "You can bring them forth then?"

Shiera Seastar allowed a smile to play along her lips "All I need is the eggs... fire... & blood... "

Thanks Maester Luwin

Last edited:

Remove ads