• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D level limits question

During the years 1977-1989, did you follow the rules for racial level limits in AD&D?

• Yes, we respected the racial level limts rule as written

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • No, we removed or houseruled racial level limits.

Votes: 53 48.2%

Quantarum

First Post
When I was playing AD&D we treated some rules as set in stone and others as amusing suggestions. For some reason we stuck solidly to the level limits. -Q.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
We houseruled them - IIRC once you reached the racial level limit, the xp to reach subsequent levels doubled. Thus they didn't reach an utter plateau, but the humans started racing ahead at that point.

Cheers

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I said no, but not really sure if it applies. IIRC we only hit them once, and sorta smoozed past them. And UA came out about that time, excusing our excess. :D

Ariosto

First Post
Yes, we respected the racial level limits rule as written.

We also allowed the possibility that exceptional means (such as, but not limited to, wishes) could accomplish exceptional ends.

I have never played in a group that used the expanded Unearthed Arcana character options, except for in abortive trials.

If one wanted unlimited advancement, then one took Thief, Assassin or Druid as appropriate. The common "house rule" I recall was removal of the Druid from the Half-Elf's options.

FireLance

Legend
Yes, we respected them, if only because we generally avoided race-class combinations with low level limits, which we never reached in actual play anyway.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Sigh.

One of our groups ignored them but andother didn't. I voted no because even if it had applied it was irrelevant since we never lived that long.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads