• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D needs a lil' love. Favorite PCs/concepts/race-class combo's...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
There was a thread a while back which was asking something about a "typical 1e party" and the characters/classes that would be found in it. I got to thinkin' about that...plus the "gnomes as a core race" thread for 5e...plus just feeling like AD&D isn't gettin' enough love in the thread tags...

SO, what are your favorite character race/class combo's, characters you've played, archetypes you like best, concepts you've seen (or played) the most, whatever...long as it's AD&D (1e preferred, UA & 2e acceptable ;)

I think my list from that "typical 1e party" list was something like this:

Human/Fighter
Dwarf/Fighter
Elf/Fighter-Magicuser
Human/Cleric
Human/Magicuser
Halfling/Thief (or Fighter-Thief)
Then 1-3 of the following: Gnome/Illusionist-Thief or Fighter-Illusionist; Half-elf/Ranger, Cleric-Fighter or Druid; Half-orc/Cleric-Fighter, Fighter-Thief, or [if the DM was allowing evil characters] Assassin.

For myself, playing, I am partial to spell-casters in general, but my favorite D&D-isms, I think, would be the Elf/Fighter-MU, Half-elf/Cleric-Ranger, any elf or half-elf combo, really...or simply Human/MU (my first character ever! and many thereafter)

Cheers and happy Saturday, ENWorld!
--SD

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I ran a few MU/Th and F/MU/Ths over the years. And I have a Drow Rgr/Dr/MU who predates Drizz't by several years who is a fave.

Dwarven F/Cls were also popular, along with Gnome Ftr/Ill and a particularly fun Gnome Ranger (and his trusty Giant Space Hamster steed, Mithril).

Among the humans, I ran a lot of Rangers, Paladins and Barbarians. Had a Ftr//Cl of Tyr who was quite a bit of fun, as was a Ftr//Ass//Ill.

DanotheSlender

First Post
Always loved my Halfling Theif, Got and Elven Fighter i also dig, and a human mage. Never did much multi-classing once we got away from the "Monte-Haul" phase, guess i became kind of a purist..

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I never stopped multi-classing. Half-elf was my go-to race pre-3e for that very reason. Ranger/Clerics, Mage/Clerics, Fighter/Druids... Dwarven Fighter/Thief was always great fun too. Half-Orc Cleric/Assassin wins the prize for being the most awesome. I tried Monk on several occasions but found them too fragile for long-term use.

Stormonu

Legend
half-orc fighter/assassin, closely followed by elvin fighter/M-U.

Just as a note, my big 1E/2E campaign group consisted of:

human paladin (Mordor Darrow)
elvin fighter/magic-user (Link Allum Ank-Knan)
halfling fighter/thief (Roflon Bigalow)
human cleric (Eric Longfellow)
human samurai (Son Le)
human monk (Bavarian Blueskin)
human bushi/ninja (Windwalker)
human ranger (Diamond Burner)
human wizard (Emerald Khazan Burner)

the Jester

Legend
God did you advance slowly, but I loved the half-elven cleric/fighter/magic-user.

Gnome illusionist/thief.

Half-orc cleric/assassin... actually any assassin or assassin class combo available.

The bard! Fighter/thief/druid dual class = bard!

Libramarian

Adventurer
The characters in my last 1e campaign were:
Elf Assassin (died early, replaced with an Elf Fighter/Assassin)
Elf Magic-user/Thief
Elf Cavalier (died early, replaced with an Elf Cleric) -- both of which are not possible btb, but this player needed some help
Half-orc Fighter -- with 18/78 Strength, +2 battle axe and +2 shield, probably the MVP of the game

With two henchmen:
Elf Fighter/Thief
Human Druid

However I now plan to enforce the btb rule that Raise Dead doesn't work on elves(!?) so I expect there to be fewer elves in the future.

Personally I'd like to play a monk and see if they can abuse the grappling rules.

For the class/race combo that feels the most AD&D, I would say something like an Elf Ftr/MU with Elfin chain and 18 Dex, dual-wielding a longsword and a hand-axe. Or a Gnome Illusionist. Or a Half-orc Cleric/Assassin. That would be a cool 3 character party.

Last edited:

Remove ads