• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D needs a lil' love. Favorite PCs/concepts/race-class combo's...

Mallus

Legend
These are my (current) favorite AD&D characters, ie the PCs from my (current) AD&D campaign!

Honey Boo Baggins - female hobbit (halfling) bard.

Nameless III - male human magic-user.

Detective Pogsley/La Manzana - goblin (re-skinned halfling) thief. He started out male (Pogsley), but he put on a magic mask and now he's a she (La Manzana).

Woodlock - male human druid. He's got a human monk henchman (with a drug problem) named Golden Arm, a practitioner of "Junk-Sick Poppy Boxing".

Templeton Gloaming - male human dandy (a class from some OSR blog).

Retired PCs - Father Benignus (male human cleric), Web'r Grylle (male caveman fighter), Sirrah Carbuncle (male human cavalier).

They're between 6th and 7th level, and after 2.5 years of play we're just about hit the "Full Gygax", ie an AD&D bard, a sex-changed PC, homemade & UA classes, an iterative PC, a reincarnated PC, horrible/great pun names, etc.

Last edited:

MJS

First Post
I really want to have a go at a 1E illusionist (human) in a friend's game.
Love that its a somewhat separate class with spells mu's can't generally have.
Same with 1E Druid.

Leif

Adventurer
These are my (current) favorite AD&D characters, ie the PCs from my (current) AD&D campaign!

Honey Boo Baggins - female hobbit (halfling) bard.

Nameless III - male human magic-user.

Detective Pogsley/La Manzana - goblin (re-skinned halfling) thief. He started out male (Pogsley), but he put on a magic mask and now he's a she (La Manzana).

Woodlock - male human druid. He's got a human monk henchman (with a drug problem) named Golden Arm, a practitioner of "Junk-Sick Poppy Boxing".

Templeton Gloaming - male human dandy (a class from some OSR blog).

Retired PCs - Father Benignus (male human cleric), Web'r Grylle (male caveman fighter), Sirrah Carbuncle (male human cavalier).

They're between 6th and 7th level, and after 2.5 years of play we're just about hit the "Full Gygax", ie an AD&D bard, a sex-changed PC, homemade & UA classes, an iterative PC, a reincarnated PC, horrible/great pun names, etc.
I am SO_O_O_O jealous!

That sounds like a great game. Relish it.

NotZenon

Explorer
i'll admit it was monte haul but my first and only character to reach high level was a human ranger (12) dual classed mage (15), Named Beowulf who also happened to own a vorpal sword. I made the mistake of allowing another dm (who hated monte haul characters) to DM him. His vorpal sword was stole by a goblin who beheaded him (haha).

in second ed, my other favourite and def not by the book character was a half elven druid/bard, who unfortunately was eaten by a dragon somewhere around level 4 or 5.

I also had fun playing a human war priest of tempus, who was almost as good as a fighter plus, spells! he died at level 7 i think.

another classic was a 6/7th level 'troll hunter' ranger/druid, who had both a ring of regeneration and a 20 con, who could generally hide and regenerate whenever he got in too far over his head. the ability to move through terrain unhindered made escape usually quite easy. unfortunately we stopped playing him when he finally got the shapechange ability. (bah!)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Back in the 1st Edition AD&D days, I also played fast and loose with race/class restrictions somewhat. But the coolest thing we did was to ditch the spell memorization/preparation rules for magic-users. We ruled that a Magic-User could cast any known spell in his book, up to the maximum number of spells of that spell level allowed by his Magic-User level. Essentially, we had created a sort of hybrid Magic-User/Sorcerer, except that there was no such thing as a Sorcerer back then. And our version was overpowered by sorcerer standards because they could cast any spell known to them, and they gained spells known each level as a Magic-User.

Serendipity

Explorer
Lots of Pure Awesome

I'm green with envy - last week the first session of my new AD&D game went up in smoke as everyone involved collectively realized no one had the energy or the attention span to start a new campaign. Piffle.
Though I could seriously work on my tan from all the great rays the game you describe is giving off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads